Help am I only allowed to eat 500 calories?

Options
Hello just wondered if there was a bug on MFP as I changed my goal to losing 2lb a week and it says I'm only allowed to eat 500cals a day! I am 5ft and currently weigh 138lb and my goal is 125lb. Please can anyone help with resetting the calorie goal as it used to be 1200 per day losing 1.5lbs a week

Replies

• RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    500cals a day?! This sounds insane / impossible. I can't help you though, i just know that 1200kcal sounds a lot more viable than 500.
  • kotarea
    kotarea Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That is a glitch, MFP is not supposed to go under 1200
  • littlehappystitches
    littlehappystitches Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks I think 1000-1200 is kind of the minimum you are supposed to eat I just got kinda stressed when it told me 500:( think I might have to delete and reload the app just sad I will lose my progress:(
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My home > goals > change goals > custom > change them to what you want.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a bug. They're "working on it" though they don't seem very concerned with getting it fixed, or getting the word out that there is a problem. I'm disgusted that they haven't put out an announcement, because for every person like you who questions it here, there are many more just believing it and trying to stick to it. It's appalling. @olivia
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    With only 18 lbs to lose you don't want to be losing too fast, say 1 lb per week. While this glitch is around go to a TDEE calculator such as http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ input your stats and set the deficit to around -15% and manually add the calorie goal into MFP. Using a TDEE calculator means that, unlike MFP, it takes into account exercise calories so you don't eat any of them back.
  • littlehappystitches
    littlehappystitches Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your help :) am resetting my goals to custom setting thanks
  • thespringbuck
    thespringbuck Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Chris says above, IIFYM TDEE calculator, use that and apply a 15% deficit, that's what u should eat and don't input your exercise into myfitnesspal, check my post in this section, I explained more there.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dear Posters,

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal does not condone such low levels of eating, and this bug has been brought to the attention of the Admin. Getting the appropriate amount of nutrition eating only 600 calories a day is incredibly hard, and this diet may lead to fatigue, hair loss and other serious medical conditions.

We ARE looking into it,
    davis_em
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to argue but how were any of the posts promoting unsafe weight loss techniques or Eating Disorders? The OP questioned the calorie goal set by MFP and was advised to increase the calorie goal?
  • thespringbuck
    thespringbuck Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    Dear Posters,

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal does not condone such low levels of eating, and this bug has been brought to the attention of the Admin. Getting the appropriate amount of nutrition eating only 600 calories a day is incredibly hard, and this diet may lead to fatigue, hair loss and other serious medical conditions.

We ARE looking into it,
    davis_em

@davis_em‌ I think you have misunderstood the purpose of this post and the support offered by all of the comments, I don't see how any of the points your raise surrounding the negative side of eating are relevant or even worth mentioning?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    wonkywendy wrote: »
    Hello just wondered if there was a bug on MFP as I changed my goal to losing 2lb a week and it says I'm only allowed to eat 500cals a day! I am 5ft and currently weigh 138lb and my goal is 125lb. Please can anyone help with resetting the calorie goal as it used to be 1200 per day losing 1.5lbs a week

it's a glitch with the mobile app. I think if you log back into the website it should reset it...I think.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

We ARE looking into it,
    davis_em

Please send an email to all members. I've seen 2 threads on here like this. As a previous poster has said, there may be many more who do not know to ask for help.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

We ARE looking into it,
    davis_em

I think maybe you should actually read the context of the posts rather than just do a post like this.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    edited March 2015
    Options
    joehempel wrote: »
    Dear Posters,

We ARE looking into it,
    davis_em

I think maybe you should actually read the context of the posts rather than just do a post like this.

Hey guys - we are reading context here and totally understand this is a bug on the MFP side causing some user's calorie goals being set below 1200: This is a bug impacting the last release of our iOS app. This bug will be fixed in the next release of the app. In the meantime if anyone who has this issue logs into the website, and updates their goals, it should fix the issue.

However, we are going to lock these topics and frequently reference our guidelines regarding low calorie diets; we want to make it clear to anyone searching and finding these topics what our guidelines are and very much appreciate everyone's support in letting users who are posting about having MFP assign them a calorie goal under 1,200 that its a bug and they need to log into the website, to updates their goals, fix the issue until we get the next release live in the app store.
This discussion has been closed.