Homemade food VS commercial prepared

Options
2»

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty kick *kitten* in the kitchen...I prefer my own, home cooked meals. I like to eat out a few times per month and in that case we generally prefer higher end local establishments that serve up not only interesting fare that I don't necessarily know how to do myself, but actually use fresh, scratch ingredients rather than institutionalized franchise stuff.

I'm pretty much a food snob and always have been.

This. I love going out to eat, but I also don't see the point in wasting money on something that doesn't taste as good as what I can make myself. I don't have a lot of disposable income, so I'm pretty picky about the quality of food that it gets spent on.

I also don't have time/energy to cook every single night after work, so I batch cook on weekends and just grab something out of the freezer most nights. Best of both worlds.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and can't afford to eat out much but I do buy the stuff I can't make at home to use as ingredients in my cooking.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Depends on the food and who is doing the cooking. Like most people have said, I cook at home primarily but enjoy eating out at nice restaurants for meals I can't or don't make myself. Because I have small children we also eat at chain restaurants and fast food places but try to keep that to a minimum.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Both, depends.

Like JoRocka and Francl27 are saying, some things should be left to the experts. I don't want or need to make my own cheese or cookie dough ice cream :p

When I eat out, I want something that I can't or don't bother to prepare myself. My cooking is simple, but nutrition- and taste-wise, it's high end restaurant standard (my opinion lol). I've become a food snob after I joined MFP and learned about the merits of dietary fats o:)
  • smythepatricia90
    smythepatricia90 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Home made. Then well made restaurant food. I like to know what's in my food, or at least trust that I'm eating something that's well made by folks who care about food.

I don't eat a lot of fast food. I don't eat much in the way of frozen meals, or packaged meals. They don't taste good, and usually have too much added sugar, too much salt, and too many preservatives and other mystery ingredients. Frankly, they just aren't worth the calories.

I like to know what's in my food too
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fast food. I don't eat much in the way of frozen meals, or packaged meals. They don't taste good, and usually have too much added sugar, too much salt, and too many preservatives and other mystery ingredients. Frankly, they just aren't worth the calories.

This. I don't know about the sugar, but sodium levels in packaged foods make me feel bloated, laggy and gross. Fast food gives causes me gastrointestinal issues, and I've never enjoyed it, even as a kid. As far as chain restaurants go, we don't really have those here like they do in the States (I see commercials) but when I go out, I prefer local restaurants, with the occasional fine dining establishment, though I suppose those are also local. Sushi is probably the food I really like that I don't prepare myself, specifically sashimi, seaweed salad and miso soup. It's always better from a real sushi chef, but I still go to Chinese-run sushi restaurants most of the time because they're inexpensive. Can't do packaged grocery store sushi though. No es bueno.

I'd like to make my own bread, but for now I don't. I prefer bread directly from the bakery though. I also have a Chef friend who makes a lot of sour dough and sometimes sends some my way. I also don't make or age my own cheeses. I don't make my own non-dairy milks, so I buy those packaged. Same with pasta. There's probably more I can't think of now. Oh and tortillas. I don't have the patience to make tortillas so I buy them from my local Latin grocer, or a tortilleria if I'm near one. The grocery store ones here (Dempster's *shudders*) are either made from wheat and taste like bread, or are made from corn but are alarmingly yellow. Also they're huge and not appropriately sized for tacos. Even the "small ones." As a Mexican, I find them very upsetting and subsequently call them wraps. They're not tortillas, they're wraps. See, I'm already in a tizzy just thinking about it!
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »

This. I don't know about the sugar, but sodium levels in packaged foods make me feel bloated, laggy and gross. Fast food gives causes me gastrointestinal issues, and I've never enjoyed it, even as a kid. As far as chain restaurants go, we don't really have those here like they do in the States (I see commercials) but when I go out, I prefer local restaurants, with the occasional fine dining establishment, though I suppose those are also local. Sushi is probably the food I really like that I don't prepare myself, specifically sashimi, seaweed salad and miso soup. It's always better from a real sushi chef, but I still go to Chinese-run sushi restaurants most of the time because they're inexpensive. Can't do packaged grocery store sushi though. No es bueno.

I'd like to make my own bread, but for now I don't. I prefer bread directly from the bakery though. I also have a Chef friend who makes a lot of sour dough and sometimes sends some my way. I also don't make or age my own cheeses. I don't make my own non-dairy milks, so I buy those packaged. Same with pasta. There's probably more I can't think of now. Oh and tortillas. I don't have the patience to make tortillas so I buy them from my local Latin grocer, or a tortilleria if I'm near one. The grocery store ones here (Dempster's *shudders*) are either made from wheat and taste like bread, or are made from corn but are alarmingly yellow. Also they're huge and not appropriately sized for tacos. Even the "small ones." As a Mexican, I find them very upsetting and subsequently call them wraps. They're not tortillas, they're wraps. See, I'm already in a tizzy just thinking about it!

Luckily I don't mind the sodium in them. :) In fact I need it. I add much too little to my own food, and as a result I always struggle with low blood pressure. :confused:

Its funny, because salt seems overwhelming in my own food, but with pre-packaged stuff I don't notice it.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking but I try to do as much as possible at home (or force my BF to cook). Firstly, it's easier to track what I'm consuming and secondly - it's much gentler on the wallet.