Acne After Working Out

Options
I have noticed that I have a lot of blackheads on my chest and black and whiteheads on my back since I've started working out, but my face has stayed clear. Has anyone else noticed this? I just bought some of the Neutrogena Acne Body Wash, and I'll start using that.

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I break out very badly since I started working out. I found that if I jump in the shower immediately after getting home from the gym has cut down quite a bit. I use the Clearasil ultra face wash and just regular Dove body wash.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Exercise can increase hormone production just about every where. Your body will figure it out though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VailCat13
    VailCat13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep those pre-moistened facial cleansing cloths in my gym bag and I wipe down immediately after a workout to help prevent breakouts. Works for me.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am so glad (but sucks you get this too) I am not the only one. I stay clean but it's my chest and back too :( the Dr even gave me cream it got that bad. I drink tonnes of water too. Hm.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues. Most of them cleared if I showered and changed quickly. If for whatever reason (e.g. crappy facilities, short on time, etc.) I waited to shower and change home it increased the chances of breakouts. Not in face, mostly back or where clothes rub like neck of shirts.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I was thinking it was the damp gym clothes as well. I was waiting until I got home to shower, but I've started to shower there now that I got a locker.
  • unthe
    unthe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. I started using an anti bacterial soap and it seems to have helped. There is anti bacterial fitness clothing like silver tech from lulu lemon that I'm trying to.
  • jdc026
    jdc026 Posts: 4
    Options
    I bought different sports bras which helped alot because I found I was getting them right btw my shoulder blades where my sports bra would rub.
  • themasterofpants
    Options
    It's probably just the bacteria building up under your clothing (which would explain why you don't break out on your face as much). Try and shower as quickly as you can after your workout and also don't wear the same workout clothes 2+ times in a row. If it gets really bad, I recommend acne creams with benzoyl peroxide or salicilic acid in them.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yup. I got freaked out a little by it, but it seems to be going down now. In a way I feel like I'm going through puberty again but without the awkwardness, heh.
  • vicridge4
    vicridge4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Most people wear tight unbreathing clothing for exercising (spandex!). Try to find exercise clothes that breathe. You can either opt for flowier workout clothes which will help wick moisture away from the body, or opt for something that breathes better. Lululemon has some amazing breathables. Not perfect but it helps a lot. Also as everyone said, shower quickly.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had that in the beginning too, including a noticeable increase in hair fall if I postpone my shower after workout sessions for too long.

How I fixed it: Shower as soon as my body's all cooled down (15 - 20 mins after my last exercise). I've read somewhere that apparently, the build-up of sweat, sebum, bacteria and dirt after workout sessions all contribute to this.

Hope that helps!
  • PJR1985
    PJR1985 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've also had issues. While I'm not 100% clear I've found that washing my sheets more often, cleaning my face twice a day and also using a charcoal based cleanser a few times a week helped me immensely.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think my issue was waiting until I got home to shower. I have been using the showers at the gym, so hopefully that will help. I'll look into lulu lemon!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yep!

I got a Salux cloth and switched to showering at night (and atleast 1 hour after working out), problems fixed.

Also, i really really recommend the salux cloths because they are really long so you can reach your whole back (especially that upper area thats hard to reach). It's REALLY scrubby and feels almost painful at first, but then it feels great. It also dries really fast and can be dropped in the washing machine so it's more sanitary than a loofah. I also tried the neutrogena body wash, but i prefer the Murad one better.

good luck!