Advice about meal replacement and protein shakes

Options
roxanneamy
roxanneamy Posts: 5
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Ive been looking at the slender blend collection on the protein world website. It seems too good to be true. Any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't meal replacements, they're just protein.

They wont make you lose weight, they just help you hit your protein requirements which is good for both feeling full and retaining LBM.
  • roxanneamy
    Options
    The one I was looking at (named above) is suppose to be used as a meal replacement twice a day, it's not a protein shake as such but it's supposed to have all the goodness you need and low in calories.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    roxanneamy wrote: »
    The one I was looking at (named above) is suppose to be used as a meal replacement twice a day, it's not a protein shake as such but it's supposed to have all the goodness you need and low in calories.

Are you going to drink them for the rest of your life?

The problem with meal replacement drinks is that you never learn moderation or how to make your own balanced meals.
  • roxanneamy
    Options
    No I couldn't afford too and obviously that's not realistic, just looking at it for short term use whilst I'm working hard at the gym to help my body recover etc.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    No I couldn't afford too and obviously that's not realistic, just looking at it for short term use whilst I'm working hard at the gym to help my body recover etc.

Sounds like you've made up your mind then
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
  • DeadLift107
    Options
    I use protein shakes for breakfast and after a workout. Helps hit your protein goal and keeps me full in the morning.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Eat food. If you're low on protein add a scoop of powder to water. Have a yummy shake once in awhile if you're not in the mood to chew a meal that day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like to chew my food, not drink it, as it keeps me sated longer.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have protein shake for bfast as I have been focused on lower carbs higher protein. Not zero carbs but high protein. I also always have protein after working out and if I'm in danger of not reaching my caloric intake I'll add a shake at the end if the day. Has helped me loose over t 20 lbs this year, I'm 5'2.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ive been looking at the slender blend collection on the protein world website. It seems too good to be true. Any advice?

Don't fall for meal replacement shakes. They're a waste of money.

Protein shakes are good for after weight lifting for recovery, and for meeting your protein macro if you can't do so through food. However, eat real food at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • roxanneamy
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice, think I will just continue with clean eating and excercise!
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice, think I will just continue with clean eating and excercise!

There you go, your best advice came from yourself.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It seems too good to be true. Any advice?

You already have your answer :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i would rather eat my calories than drink them.

but hey, whatever you want to do for the rest of your life lol

ive known (in person) soooooooooo many people who do the shakes as meal replacements (either homemade shakes or the marketed ones that i cant think of the name right now thats a big pyramid scheme LOL) and no one has ever maintained it, and in the case of the shakeology (thats the name!) gained all their weight back and maybe even more. which i found amusing cause i dont like that person but you didnt hear that from me LOLOLOL
  • mrsmckinney13
    mrsmckinney13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started herbalife two weeks ago. I do two shakes a day and a small meal also two small snacks. Ive cut down to 800-900 calories a day besides shakes I only drink water and no meat except seafood. I didnt exercise yet im trying to get one thing at a time controlled. I have lost 9lbs though.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I started on a 1300 calorie (hospital supervised) meal replacement plan and lost 35 pounds in 3 months. I then switched to a flexible calorie counting plan and have lost 25 pounds in the next 3 months. The meal replacement plan helped break the bad eating cycle I was on and gave me confidence that I could succeed. I'm not saying that they are for everyone and I'm certainly not advocating any particular product, but I don't think there is a basis for the reflexive condemnation they get on these boards.