protein shakes and/or BCAA's

Options
2»

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    wow, that's a lot of replies in one go so I'll try to address them all. First off 'advanced age' dbmata? OUCH!!

The PT's at my gym are well trained and I'm happy to get all and any advice I can from them. I'm pretty sure it's DOMS rather than anything that a doctor can do anything about. I do have a shoulder problem which, depending on which doctor I see, has been called anything from frozen shoulder to a torn rotator cuff. I work within my ROM as far as that's concerned and avoid most over head moves and it's getting better very very slowly.

Lets call it ache rather than pain to avoid confusion. I have discovered over the years that everyone has an opinion on other peoples workouts for better or worse. I am happy with my form (again, I have my friends at the gym watching me and advising). I'm personally of the opinion that if you work hard you can fully expect to have an 'ache' the next day, or even the day after that.

it's interesting that I can get 'it's normal' and 'you should see a doctor' in the same thread. I choose to believe its normal but it is prolonged and if I can find a way to get enough protein into my muscle quickly enough I am hoping I can reduce it to a level that doesn't stop me being about to train on consecutive days if I choose to do so.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WeaponXI wrote: »
    You can still get DOMS after being on the same regimen (if its based on a progression) for many years. It is how your particular body deals with the training, some are lucky to not experience it, or if so very little, others are not so fortunate.

Getting that "so painful I can't walk DOMS" isn't going to happen with a progression program unless your 1RMPing ever other week.

Achy- tired and stiff are not the same as being sore.

I'm in great shape- but I bet you I'd go get on my horse- I'd be sore for a week since I don't ride any more- it has more to do with using muscles you haven't used in a way you haven't used them in a while/never. Odds of someone being in that much pain after 2 years of work on the same program is just so small.
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    Instead of Nutrition have you thought about doing Epsom Salt baths? Or massage after working out? I know my gym has hydro massage tables and on days when I work out hard, I make sure to hit the table for about 10 minutes.

I'm trying to learn how to foam roll at the moment (but that hurts too! lol) I usually take a cold bath when I get home, then put some warm in and soak for a while. I did go through a phase of using Radox which I think is the same thing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You're not 22, you don't recover like a 22 year old. Yes, advanced age.

It's probably not DOMS, and unless your diet is utter dung, it's not lack of protein. However, if those PTs are so well trained, why not ask them?

Additionally, PT training does not include nutrition training, and they are not RDs. It's good to remember that. :)
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Are we band-aiding the problem, or fixing it? What's the cause/reason for the pain you're experiencing? IME, a supplement is not the solution to pain.

The cause of the pain is training hard. You've got to break it down to build it up. My problem is the DOMS seem to last longer than they do for everyone else! For me its not the day after leg day that hurts, it's the day after that too. either I'm raining harder than everyone else (unlikely!) or I recover slower for some reason. (probably something to do with my diet)

If you are getting that that consistently, over a long period of time, from the same type of lifts/workouts... I'd start to wonder if something else was amiss.

Ditto...

I train hard and the only time I get serious DOMs is after a training break. If I'm training regularly I'm a little sore, but nothing like, "OMG DOMs" kind of sore...I'm always a little sore, but not anything severe.

It sounds like you're very active overall...do you take appropriate rest days and/or other periods of rest? Without rest, your recovery is going to be for *kitten*.

I try to train every other day. As I said in OP I am training for a charity run at the moment so am trying to get up to 10k. In theory I should train for that 3 times a week so that's taking the place of most of my weight days at the moment although because I don't like running I sometimes lift instead of running! I also do boxing on a Tuesday night, insanity on a Friday and circuits on a Sunday, so its all over the place and I only really have time for 1 other training day. - This 10k race is going to hurt!!
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Yo OP, what color is your urine? Rusty?

Its fine as far as I am aware
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    You're not 22, you don't recover like a 22 year old. Yes, advanced age.

It's probably not DOMS, and unless your diet is utter dung, it's not lack of protein. However, if those PTs are so well trained, why not ask them?

Additionally, PT training does not include nutrition training, and they are not RDs. It's good to remember that. :)

I did ask them, they gave me good, constructive advice that I can use.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP meet foam roller. Foam roller meet OP. Have a fun painful relationship :)

Seriously though....foam roll the crap out of your legs after workouts. It has done more for me than recovery drinks and BCAA's ever have. One time investment fee of $15-20 at your local sports store. Or some gyms even have them for your use. Google how to use them. There are actually a lot of benefits to them then just reducing soreness. Proper cool down/warm up, hydration, overall nutrition, and rest are also critical in your bodies ability to recover.

And yes the pain while foam rolling is normal (especially at first)....touch that IT band and try not to scream. People will look ;)
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Seriously though....foam roll the crap out of your legs after workouts. It has done more for me than recovery drinks and BCAA's ever have. One time investment fee of $15-20 at your local sports store. Or some gyms even have them for your use. Google how to use them. (There are actually a lot of benefits to them then reducing soreness).

And yes the pain while doing it is normal (especially at first)....touch that IT band and try not to scream. People will look ;)

Thank you. They do have them at my gym. I'll suck it up and give it another go :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Seriously though....foam roll the crap out of your legs after workouts. It has done more for me than recovery drinks and BCAA's ever have. One time investment fee of $15-20 at your local sports store. Or some gyms even have them for your use. Google how to use them. (There are actually a lot of benefits to them then reducing soreness).

And yes the pain while doing it is normal (especially at first)....touch that IT band and try not to scream. People will look ;)

Thank you. They do have them at my gym. I'll suck it up and give it another go :)

FYI - It's supposed to hurt. I try to find that fine line where I'm juuusst about to tear up.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

My PT and I have a deal. I pay her $ and pour my heart/sweat out into the workout. And she spends 3 minutes foam rolling each of my legs at the end. It's like a mini massage. And helps so, so much with post workout soreness. I have started foam rolling after every workout.

• WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You can still get DOMS after being on the same regimen (if its based on a progression) for many years. It is how your particular body deals with the training, some are lucky to not experience it, or if so very little, others are not so fortunate.

Getting that "so painful I can't walk DOMS" isn't going to happen with a progression program unless your 1RMPing ever other week.

I'm in great shape- but I bet you I'd go get on my horse- I'd be sore for a week since I don't ride any more- it has more to do with using muscles you haven't used in a way you haven't used them in a while/never. Odds of someone being in that much pain after 2 years of work on the same program is just so small.

Not all of us recover the same, just like not all of us react to the same training the same way. From my own personal experience, the day after heavy deadlifts or heavy squats, stairs are not my friend, I still handle the DOMS, but I still get them. I've been consistently lifting for over 5 years now and I haven't developed an immunity to DOMS, though sometimes I wish I could. ;)
  • kindrabbit
    edited March 2015
    Options

Not all of us recover the same, just like not all of us react to the same training the same way. From my own personal experience, the day after heavy deadlifts or heavy squats, stairs are not my friend, I still handle the DOMS, but I still get them. I've been consistently lifting for over 5 years now and I haven't developed an immunity to DOMS, though sometimes I wish I could. ;)

Thanks Weapon XI. I'm a keen deadlifter and squatter too! My trainer is also a DOMS suffered (ex army PT and strong as hell!) so I have been taught that this is 'normal' for me. He has been trying to get me to use a protein shake for a long time but I have always resisted. I don't want to look like I'm taking myself too seriously. (I had the same attitude to wearing lifting gloves until my blisters started bleeding!)

Stairs and toilet seats are my least favorite place! Lets hope I can reclaim my love for walking up stairs and sitting down without hanging onto the wall by drinking the shakes I've ordered!

They've just arrived and seem to taste Ok so I'll give it a month.

To be honest I'm surprised by a lot of peoples dislike for them. I would say 7 out of 10 men walk out of the gym with a shaker in their hand. Maybe its a regional thing?
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    The pain you are feeling is 'DOMS'.. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. This is what happens after a hard gym session and I don't know anyone who dosen't get it. If you don't then work harder !!. I take both protein and BCAA's and still have it but not to the degree I did before I supplemented. Whey protein is loaded with BCAA's so unless you are tryinfg to gain size and keep it there, then Whey powder is all you need.
    BCAA's basically stop the body going into a 'catabolic state' ie using muscle for fuel instead of fat. I take them for the simple fact I do a lot of weight lifting.
    Happy lifting

Thanks. I've found a product with what looks like a good source of whey protein with added BCAA's. (PhD Pharma Whey HT+)

I think the main problem is that I don't get enough protein within that 20 min post workout window. I avoided shakes because I don't want to look like I'm taking myself too seriously. The alternative is to walk like I've had an 'accident' for 2 days post leg day! I think i'll go for the shake!

If it's any consolation I did a legs session on Saturday morning and am still walking like I've soiled myself, I call it the 'grafters pain '. Totally normal
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @Karen_libert, I do take whey protein and creatine after working out, does it help my DOMS? It may, but just marginally, (it does help my strength and endurance, which is what I'm after) it's not until I started drinking more water, stretching, and foam rolling that I noticed a difference. The other thing I noticed, the next day (when I feel the DOMS), keep moving around a lot. I space out lifting days with conditioning days, and the day after lifting, even if its something low impact, like cycling, that helps me recover quicker, plus I have one complete rest day in the week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't want to look like I'm taking myself too seriously.
    what does that even mean?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Weapon XI. I'm a keen deadlifter and squatter too! My trainer is also a DOMS suffered (ex army PT and strong as hell!) so I have been taught that this is 'normal' for me. He has been trying to get me to use a protein shake for a long time but I have always resisted. I don't want to look like I'm taking myself too seriously. (I had the same attitude to wearing lifting gloves until my blisters started bleeding!)

Stairs and toilet seats are my least favorite place! Lets hope I can reclaim my love for walking up stairs and sitting down without hanging onto the wall by drinking the shakes I've ordered!

They've just arrived and seem to taste Ok so I'll give it a month.

To be honest I'm surprised by a lot of peoples dislike for them. I would say 7 out of 10 men walk out of the gym with a shaker in their hand. Maybe its a regional thing?

If you're experiencing DOMS to such an extreme degree, I would say your total calories and / or your total protein are probably off. DOMS is essentially micro-tears in your muscle from the training session. Protein be it straight BCAA's, Whey, animal protein will help recovery but it's not going to immediately eliminate that damage done and it doesn't specifically have to be a shake. There are many many people that get 100% of their protein via food alone; it's more of a lifestyle decision to supplement with shakes. Look at your protein as a whole. How much are you consuming on a daily basis?

Also, what does your training look like? Deadlifting can be difficult to recover from but at the same time you shouldn't be so completely sore all the time; it almost sounds like no adaptation is occurring.