Options
2»

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Unless you're spending hours at the gym, it's doubtful you are burning that much. Machines can often-times over inflate calorie burn estimates.

But in general, 1000 calories is alot, and 2000 is beyond overkill. You're leaving yourself open to injury even trying to get that much.

Yes def 2000 is too,too much and 1000 cal maybe if u do 15 km marathon

*twitch*

What's a 15km marathon?
    marathon of running....if u make it (and survive !!! ) u might burn that cal

A marathon is 42km (26.2 miles)

You can do a 15km run.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    They make such thing here.But it is not for everyone.

No they don't. They do a 15km race.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

A marathon is a set distance - 42.195km or 26 miles and 385 yards.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

No they don't. They do a 15km race.

ok race....whatever....The point still stands that u have to workout probably 3 h to burn that cal .
  • FashionQueen86
    FashionQueen86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Someone said to just take half the calories burned on those machines and use that. There's an elliptical machine that I first used when I first joined the gym. It wasn't a regular elliptical, but it's hard to describe it. But it had me sweating, heart pumping, said I lost close to 700 calories for a full hour, but what if that's not true? It sure felt I did.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Someone said to just take half the calories burned on those machines and use that. There's an elliptical machine that I first used when I first joined the gym. It wasn't a regular elliptical, but it's hard to describe it. But it had me sweating, heart pumping, said I lost close to 700 calories for a full hour, but what if that's not true? It sure felt I did.

It's not true. Sorry.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its possible to burn 1000 calories, but it requires a lot of time and effort imo either by duration or intensity. The more you weigh the easier it is. The OP never returned to the thread, but like everyone else I would be querying where she was taking the burns from, her weight, as well as the duration and intensity of what she was doing.

1000 calories is manageable over 2hrs, 2000 is just getting silly imo and youd need rest after.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I got almost 1000 exercise calories yesterday but that took and hour of Zumba, 20 mins of intervals on a gym bike and around 3 miles of walking. How are you measuring it?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I would be surprised if I burned 1000 calories exercising a week...and I go 5 days.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

It's not true. Sorry.

That depends on the machine (some you have to input age, gender, weight, height etc, and some you just input weight) as some will be more accurate than others, and your weight. Also your level of intensity.

I've used a HRM at the gym and I actually burned more on the treadmill and elliptical than the machines said, but less on the stepper.

Not that I eat back exercise calories so it doesn't really matter.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

It's not true. Sorry.

That depends on the machine (some you have to input age, gender, weight, height etc, and some you just input weight) as some will be more accurate than others, and your weight. Also your level of intensity.

I've used a HRM at the gym and I actually burned more on the treadmill and elliptical than the machines said, but less on the stepper.

It is very very unlikely that she burnt 700 calories on a machine at the gym in an hour. Esp an elliptical like machine that does some of the work for you.

So yeah. I'm sticking with my answer. 700 cals in an hour, no.
  • Warriorwithinme
    Warriorwithinme Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That depends on what your doing? For example I'm down 75LB and 11 inches and burn over 1100+ calories. This includes Cardio 30mins, funtional / strength / crossfit training. On a max day I burn 1500 calories
  • FunbagsMcGee
    FunbagsMcGee Posts: 36 Member
    Options

It's not true. Sorry.

I also wear a HRM while working out and the treadmill is very accurate (if I input age, weight, gender and I don't cheat by holding on to the rails a lot lol). But the elliptical is waaaaay off most of the time, sometimes my actual burn is only 60% of what the elliptical says. :neutral_face:
  • Warriorwithinme
    Warriorwithinme Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best way to track performance is to use a strap heart monitor and fitness watch. I use the polar H7 heart monitor and Polar HT 80 fitness watch with iOS app to track real performance.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I'm exercising I burn in excess of 2000 calories quite often. That is according to MFP and other means of measuring. Not sure I really think they are all that accurate. Not that many in the gym though. If you want to burn that many calories you need to do endurance sports. Long distance running, long distance biking, triathlon and the like.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

It's not true. Sorry.

I also wear a HRM while working out and the treadmill is very accurate (if I input age, weight, gender and I don't cheat by holding on to the rails a lot lol). But the elliptical is waaaaay off most of the time, sometimes my actual burn is only 60% of what the elliptical says. :neutral_face:

Like I said, it depends on the machine. I use a different gym sometimes and the machines are newer and the elliptical seems far easier, and so I burn less on that than I do at my gym.

I do think if you're on a machine for an hour you won't keep up the intensity so won't burn as much as if you did shorter bursts on different machines, or did HIIT.
  • jdc026
    jdc026 Posts: 4
    Options
    As an elite athlete it was normal for me to burn a few thousand calories during intensive spring training (with 3 workouts a day). But that was only ever 10 days at a time. You are really going to over stress your body and you will reach a point when your body just won't take it anymore. You need to go easier on yourself or you risk reaching a point where you cannot workout at all.