Lentil recipes anyone?

Options

Replies

• msilkey2015
    msilkey2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can make hummus with cooked lentils. Search for Lentil Hummus on Google, there are lots of recipes.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Indian or soup/stew works best for me. I like this thick so I can freeze leftovers in a ziploc and take them to work.

Take a couple cups of bulk brown lentils, rinse and soak an hour to overnight and rinse again before cooking.

Sautee some onion and garlic in a couple teaspoons of olive oil, add chopped tomatoes when onions start to soften a bit. Use one or two big onions. 2 or 3 tomatoes.

Then add lentils and throw in a bay leaf and water up to an inch above the lentils - you can add more or take out if it's too much. Heat to slight boil and turn down.

In 45 minutes or or so, throw in chopped spinach and remove from heat. When spinach is wilted. Lemon, salt and pepper to taste. Bulgur wheat thrown in with the tomatoes is good if you do grains.
  • MagicalWanda
    MagicalWanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make red lentil soup with smoked turkey. Super easy --

350 grams of diced carrots
    250 grams of chopped onion
    250 grams of chopped celery
    350 grams of shredded smoked turkey
    salt and pepper

Sweat these in a large pot with 2-3 TBSP EVOO until the onions are translucent.

Add 1 lb of red lentils and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add 10 cups of vegetable or chicken broth and a couple of bay leaves. If you like, you can add a little fresh thyme. Allow to simmer until the soup reaches whatever consistency you prefer (I like mine to get very soft.)

This freezes REALLY well. I'm getting ready to make a double batch to freeze.
  • Cantaloupe321
    Cantaloupe321 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Looks like I've got some good ones to try. Thanks so much everyone!!
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the Tasty Bite "Madras Lentils" from Costco. Six packages to a box. Each package is 2 servings 150 calories each. I spice my portion up and add shrimp.
    Yum.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    chopsart wrote: »
    I have been buying the Tasty Bite "Madras Lentils" from Costco. Six packages to a box. Each package is 2 servings 150 calories each. I spice my portion up and add shrimp.
    Yum.

Agreed, though I can't say I've ever gotten two servings out of it. I keep it in my desk at work for a filling lunch.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I make red lentil soup with smoked turkey. Super easy --

350 grams of diced carrots
    250 grams of chopped onion
    250 grams of chopped celery
    350 grams of shredded smoked turkey
    salt and pepper

Sweat these in a large pot with 2-3 TBSP EVOO until the onions are translucent.

Add 1 lb of red lentils and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add 10 cups of vegetable or chicken broth and a couple of bay leaves. If you like, you can add a little fresh thyme. Allow to simmer until the soup reaches whatever consistency you prefer (I like mine to get very soft.)

This freezes REALLY well. I'm getting ready to make a double batch to freeze.

This is really good. Yes to this and you can use ham hocks too.
  • GTJanuary
    GTJanuary Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love lentils too! I have tried every color. Love them. Cheap too! My favorite is sauté some onions and sliced up mushrooms (any kind) in coconut oil (use virgin cold pressed) add some curry powder, ground turmeric, organic vegetable broth. Throw into a slow cooker. There should be very little broth when you are done. You can add whatever other spices you like but I like the curry and turmeric flavor. You can serve this over rice, wheat bulgar or whatever "starchy" you want or just eat it plain. Sorry I don't have measurements in my head, I eyeball it but it's really very good.
  • tab1980
    tab1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cook them stove top by putting them in chicken broth, bring to a boil then simmer for 20 mins or so. Once cooked season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, clove, and cinnamon. Soo good!
  • musclemeliss
    musclemeliss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I have made lentil burritos. I cook up lentils with some seasoning. Saute some onions, throw them in. Cook them to the consistency you like - but there shouldn't be much water left. I like it with basmati rice, sour cream, salsa, cheese.

Oh my, I'm going to have to try that. Sounds amazing.
  • francis904
    francis904 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe from skinnytaste:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/lentil-and-chicken-soup-3-pts.html?m=1

I usually make it once a week, it makes a great lunch.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like this one for a rich, tomatoey soup/stew. I use kale instead of chard, and I used turkey breakfast sausage. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/lentil-soup-with-sausage-chard-and-garlic/
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love lentils! You can find so many great recipes on Pinterest. Some I have tried and liked so far are lentil stew, soup, fried patties, and "meatballs".
  • Btrflyl8e
    Btrflyl8e Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe (minus the sandwich), I make it on the stove top and add a little chorizo to mine! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/recipe/smoky-lentil-soup.html
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe from skinnytaste

I just got lost in that website, so many recipes, yum!

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I have made lentil burritos. I cook up lentils with some seasoning. Saute some onions, throw them in. Cook them to the consistency you like - but there shouldn't be much water left. I like it with basmati rice, sour cream, salsa, cheese.

Oh my, I'm going to have to try that. Sounds amazing.

This does sound good :)

Some great recipes and tips on here... I appreciate everyone sharing!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Candylou11
    Candylou11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your ideas! I just made this soup tonight. Was and smelled delish. Only thing different I did was use a lentil soup mix then pureed half the soup and poured it back in.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-red-lentil-soup-recipes-from-the-kitchn-212392