Anyone here use Nutrisystem?

Options
13»

Replies

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I tried it many years ago but didn't really care for the food and gained all of the weight back because i didn't really learn anything about weighing food, nutrition or healthy ways to cook. It is easy enough but try to teach yourself about nutrition if you want to do that as well. Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people do this instead of exercise self-control. And I have a feeling that people who do it are seriously cheating . . .

I certainly "cheated" on plans where you weren't supposed to have certain foods., but only because fad diets are generally not sustainable.
  • jannamwagner
    Options
    I use it and love it. It's really convenient and I don't have to worry about cooking or finding healthy foods. I just concentrate on exercising a few times a week and the weight is coming off. The food I get is not gross. A lot are really good. I have the plan with frozen food so you can have ice cream too. It really doesn't feel like a diet and I eat every 2-3 hours or 6 times a day. BTW I'm also a college student and I find it's about the same as a meal plan or grocery shopping for a month. My diary is open if you want to add me as a friend.

Hello...my name is Janna. not even sure if im doing this right but I'm also doing Nutrisystem and I love it!!! Also just started T25 workouts and am loving them also :)
  • jannamwagner
    Options
    I just started Nutrisystem about a week ago and love it!!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Well let's see how much you love it after...4-6 weeks. ;)
  • jannamwagner
    Options
    Lol....am I going 2 hate it? I havent lost but 5 pounds now after 3 weeks and starting my 2nd week of T25...I figured I would loae more than I have in 3 weeks :(
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I can only comment based on my person experience. I dropped 30 pounds in about 2.5 months on NS (I was still working out as well).

Overall, the food is very bland, but when I found certain foods I liked, I just ordered more of that specific type of food and didn't order other kinds.

As far as weight loss is concerned, I made the mistake of stopping NS after 3 months thinking oh, I have lost all the weight, I am good. I went back to eating "normal" and literally gained it all back.

Moral of the story: if you aren't going to stick with it forever, which most people don't, it's normally a 3-6 month "fad", then be very careful about what you start eating afterwards. If you don't continue to eat healthy afterwards you will most likely gain the weight back.

Again, this is MY personal experience, not everyone's. Just my .02 cents.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    NutriSystem is one of the many things I tried in the past. The food is pretty gross. It might not be the optimal route, but if you Google it, you can find plenty of DIY frozen meal plans.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I was on Jenny Craig about 22 years ago (same principle as NS but the food is slightly better). It works. I lost what I needed to lose but after 3 years it came back and then some. Yes, these plans can work but they are expensive and, in the end, nothing beats doing the work yourself. You learn more and can tailor to your tastes. Plus these foods tend to have a lot of sodium and sugars.
  • mssam66
    mssam66 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Most fat people have been on every diet known to man and already know about what foods to eat and portion control. The problem will always be making whatever works for you part of your new lifestyle. No, you can't expect the average person to eat pre-packaged food for the rest of their life but most people will not count, log and measure everything for the rest of their life either. I think the key is to find whatever works for you and stop calling it a diet, it's your new life! There are many people that fail at MFP as well as the many eating plans that are out there (HCLF, LCHF, Paleo, Raw, Vegan, Raw Vegan, blah, blah blah). Some folks need help getting started and once they get control over themselves, they transition into doing it themselves. Any progam can work, it's up to YOU to find what works and stick to it for life.
  • Pale_Green
    Pale_Green Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I tried many years ago after having my first child. Got through 12 days...and I could not keep the freeze dried shelf life of 10+ years chicken down anymore. Holy hell was it AWFUL. I tried to choke it down but it would involuntarily come right back up. I asked for my money back, horrible food! I'm not actually sure if it was real chicken :s
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I lost 40lbs using MFP. But then I gained it back (for a lot of reasons). I'm using Nutrisystem now and I've lost 35lbs (though I'm about to get to 40lbs again :) ). I'm using MFP to log all of the Nutrisystem food. I have several thoughts.

Yes, it works. Yes, it's not the best food in the world but its really not that bad. I've been using the basic plan for a few months. The food is all essentially rebranded versions of other foods in the supermarket. And yes, you have to also add in fresh vegetables and fruit. So it does end up costing more than $250/month. But I've found it to be equivalent to the amount of money I would spend on food at the supermarket without using Nutrisystem. The food is like Chef Boyardee, Granola Bars, Cheerios, Oatmeal, chocolaty meal replacement bars, Cheetos Puffs, Chex Mix, Pretzels bits, Chips Ahoy, Grandma's style cookies, personal sized Boboli pizza, Cup-of-Noodles style pasta dishes and Kraft Mac and Cheese. So it's not amazing, but you could easily switch off to supermarket equivalent food if you want to stop Nutrisystem. I wouldn't describe it all as bland. Some of the items are spicy. Some of the food has flavor. It's just that a lot of what you eat is simple food. There's a lot of chocolate, if that's your thing. It's not really mine though.

Why I think it works for me: I despise leftovers. I know its a weird mental block. But I just have an overwhelmingly hard time eating food that I've saved overnight. I don't know where it comes from (maybe working in the food industry, I don't know). I'm also single again and learning to cook for one without leftovers is really difficult. Nutrisystem helps me to keep the portions in check and also to not eat out at restaurants. The eating at restaurants was draining my checkbook more than Nutrisystem is. Also, while I'm sorting out the rest of my life, it's nice to not have to spend so much time and mental energy thinking about food. I know how to eat successfully as I've had success before, but I've realized that there are other factors in my life that are distracting me and keep me from being successful. So I'm sorting those things out now. Being able to grab breakfast, two snacks, lunch and dinner and taking it with me in the morning is quick and easy. The ease is helping me stay away from fast food and drive-thrus. It also helps me to politely say no to invites to restaurants.

When I started Nutrisystem, I told myself to do it for 6 months. 6 months is when I projected to hit my initial goal weight. I'm thinking of it as a boot camp of sorts. After 6 months (the end of May) I plan to start weening myself off it by swapping out meals. From there I'll decide to either keep eating at a deficit until I reach my ideal BMI or if I want to bulk up and pack on muscle.

I think if you think it will work for you, then try it. But I do recommend using MFP with it because I know for me, I need to eat a little bit more than what Nutrisystem suggests each day to hit my goals (even at a 2lbs/week loss). It is convenient though as all of the Nutrisystem food have bar codes which are easy to scan and track. Do I think it's sustainable for a long time? No. Do I think it's a good way to start to a healthier life? Yes. I guess it's a bit of a crutch. But sometimes when things get broken, you need a crutch to heal correctly.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Why I think it works for me: I despise leftovers. I know its a weird mental block. But I just have an overwhelmingly hard time eating food that I've saved overnight. I don't know where it comes from (maybe working in the food industry, I don't know). I'm also single again and learning to cook for one without leftovers is really difficult.

I'm single as well, so when I cook enough for two (or more), I portion out the remainder and freeze it for future meals.
  • tortillasandbologna
    tortillasandbologna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have used the all frozen plan with much success (the frozen foods are delicious, the shelf foods are nasty.) Yes, it's expensive, but I can afford it. I have a family to cook for with 3 different sport and music schedules so it's perfect for me; I don't have to think about what I'm eating during the busy seasons.

Bottom line, Nutrisystem CAN be used as a motivational and teaching tool to establish the foundation of long term success, and I would never knock anyone for trying something new.