Smoking...

Options
So, I just wonder...do you smoke? How often? Does it affect you reaching your goal? I am a casual pipe smoker, only once or so a week...so just curious.

Replies

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ex smoker. I have been smoking for 5 years (since 8 grade). I stoped then completely when I went vegan 4 months ago. When I did kick boxing it had a bad effect on my health, I often felt dizzy and didn't have enought energy. Not to mention that nicotin takes Calcium from your bones and makes your skin look older. Your performans will get a lot better if u stop them.
  • Katerina9408
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not to mention that yesturday I ran my first 5km (time 27 :11) and was somewhere in the middle (not that it is very good but still) and when I was in highschool I bearly ran 300m.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I technically quit 7 years ago but still sneak one in every so often. I can tell the difference in my workout the next day. I find it a lot harder. So one could say it's a good challenger lol.
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 6 months ago and it was definitely affecting my exercise time. I Smoked alot and it was definitely not good. I would be out of breath after 15 mins and would have to stop every so often for a minute to catch my breath. Now I feel fine and can easily run without stopping. Best decision every but I still crave the nicotene so I make sure to chew a lot of gum to keep my mouth occupied til it passes
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I smoke weed.
    Just remember the munchies are all in your head
    ;)
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    If u are going to stop them be prepaired to be more hungry ( you can simply overcome that by eating more veggies and fruits and low fat foods, workout and occupy your attention with saomething else) and get a little irritable ( so try to stay away from ppl or thing that will annoy u ).
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I smoke weed.
    ;)

I am discovering that this is the demise of my diet, because even though I am full, I smoke and still want food. I have to either master my cravings while high, or don't smoke at all. That psychosomatic hunger is a *kitten*.

As for tobacco, I quit two years ago, and I smoked a pack a day before I didn't. So I can't speculate on the seldom smoker.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I smoke weed.
    ;)

Lol I must be the only person who really doesn't get the munchies
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    My husband has lung cancer caused by smoking, I stopped 10 years ago, and had a CT Scan in November that showed no damage, but when I quit I really did, I never smoked again, and now I can't even think of myself as an ex-smoker, I think of myself as a non-smoker, I could never go near those things again. It is not worth it, and just remember, most people diagnosed with lung cancer are ex-smokers. If you stop soon enough for your lungs to be able to heal like I did, you are very lucky, the problem is the rate at which it does the damage depends on the person, their genes, etc. The smart thing is to stop or if you never started, don't.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    My husband has lung cancer caused by smoking, I stopped 10 years ago, and had a CT Scan in November that showed no damage, but when I quit I really did, I never smoked again, and now I can't even think of myself as an ex-smoker, I think of myself as a non-smoker, I could never go near those things again. It is not worth it, and just remember, most people diagnosed with lung cancer are ex-smokers. If you stop soon enough for your lungs to be able to heal like I did, you are very lucky, the problem is the rate at which it does the damage depends on the person, their genes, etc. The smart thing is to stop or if you never started, don't.

I'm so sorry your husband is having to deal with this.

I'm trying to quit. Thank you for the reminder.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes, I smoke. Started smoking weed at university, then one day ran out but had tobacco. Ho hum.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    So, I just wonder...do you smoke? How often? Does it affect you reaching your goal? I am a casual pipe smoker, only once or so a week...so just curious.

Smoking a pipe (or a cigar) isn't going to affect your lungs like cigarettes would. In that sense it shouldn't hurt your "goals" because it won't impact your fitness.

I am not at all trying to say it is "good for you" or somehow "better" than cigarettes, but at least it won't destroy your lungs.
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The best advice about smoking is QUIT! Find a way.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I wish you the best, you can do it! It is good you take it seriously, because people who blow it off have no way of knowing if they will be one of the ones who get it or not. Some people are so cavalier about it, or they just make excuses, but the truth is that it is like playing Russian roulette, and you never know where that bullet is.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I wish you the best, you can do it! It is good you take it seriously, because people who blow it off have no way of knowing if they will be one of the ones who get it or not. Some people are so cavalier about it, or they just make excuses, but the truth is that it is like playing Russian roulette, and you never know where that bullet is.

It's true. And sometimes, often, people develop cancer years after they quit, that bullet might be there already. That possibility feels so remote in the moment, though. Thank you for your encouragement. And all the best to your husband and to you.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    Ex-smoker. It has always affected me in the way of exercise but no it didnt affect me in reaching my goal, was overeating that stopped me from achieving my goal. Quit smoking was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life but it is definitely worth it. Would have failed if not for my everyday friends who helped me all the way in QuitNet
  • beatles146
    Options
    Hi I gave up smoking 3 weeks ago im a 37 year old male,I go to the gym 3 times a week and I feel great! Never will I smoke again I just hope I've given up in time
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker, a heavy smoker, about a pack and a half per day. I tried to quit multiple times, but failed. I don't know if it affects my performance as I don't remember ever being active when I didn't smoke. I can run decently but after the run I get this kind of annoying wheezing for a few minutes. I have plants to quit again (funny you should post this today, I am planning to quit tomorrow) and hoping this time will it will all work out. I wanted to try a certain drug but the doctor did not approve of it since it has side effects that may bring back previous conditions. I don't have access to any other aids so I'm hoping I can muscle through this time.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My sister was a smoker for many years. She's in the hospital now dying. Cancer sucks. It's so painful to watch the slow and painful progression. I'm going to clean out her apartment this week, such a waste. She started in high school and smoked for years, she wishes she never started. So do I. Remember,those big companies are targeting you with their advertising, they want your money. It's a nasty habit, I wish all smokers could stop. Just stop. Cancer's a jerk.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I quit 12 years ago. I just stopped and never did it again. All the sinus problems and head colds I used to get disappeared. I can't imaging smoking now even though I was a regular smoker for 5 years. I was never a once a week smoker though. It was daily.