Speed of walking verses height?

Options
I'm 5'1" and am walking on a treadmill at a 1.5 incline and a speed of 2.7. If I try to increase the speed to a 3 I feel like I'm running. However, when I track my exercise it says 2.5 is a slow walk? So I'm wondering if it would be different because I'm short?

Replies

• jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too-lol! I am also 5'1. I can walk at a 3.6 speed consistently but it is very brisk. My dh who is 6'0 can walk at a speed of 5.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, someone will know jenlo1970. I'm impressed with your 3.6 :).
  • michellepearson224
    michellepearson224 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Is my treadmill measuring something different to yours? I walk at a speed of 6 KPH!
  • 2ledbetter
    Options
    Wow, are you running? michellepearson224, how tall are you? I know that on our treadmill my kids 5'7" are jogging at a 5 mph. Maybe it's the slight incline that's making it harder fir me?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    5' 1 also, I warm up at 3 then alternate 3.5-4 on a treadmill. 10 k street speed is 4-4.5.
    We just do more steps to cover the same distance at the same speed as someone taller, so even though our legs are moving faster the speed / distance covered is the same.
    Just keep upping your pace every week.

Think car tyre vs truck tyre.

My partner is 6'4 and I walk 3 steps to his 5. Yeah, I know, I counted out of curiosity.
    Cheers, h.
  • 2ledbetter
    Options
    Ok, I'm just going to be real honest. I'm 53 and at least 80lbs overweight. (Have already lost 75- since August 2014) I see what speed y'all are walking and I'm wondering if I'm just not pushing myself hard enough? I did start at a 1.7mph.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Is my treadmill measuring something different to yours? I walk at a speed of 6 KPH!

The OP is MPH, yours is KPH.

Yes, having shorter legs will mean you have to turn over more frequently to cover he same distance in the same time. I’m 5’11” and am walking until i get to just over 4.0 miles per hour.