Advice on a HR Monitor

Options
Hi all. New to MFP. Looking to lose about 10 lbs. I'm currently a runner (training for a marathon), I do Yoga 1-2X per week, and weight training 2X per week. In the spring/summer/early fall months I also do lots of hiking.

I'd like to buy a HR monitor to accurately capture my calories. Here is my dilemma: I use a Garmin 210 for running. I could buy the chest strap for Garmin watches, however, I do not believe you can track accurate calories in non running activities. So I would have to buy an ADDITIONAL HRM for other activities I do. This seems excessive.

Also, I don't really want to buy a bulky, watch-type HRM that I would need to wear in addition to my garmin when I run. Does there exist a product that I could use for both running and non-running activities that I could wear on my chest or something THIN for my wrist that would accurately give me calories burned for running AND non-running activities? Or am I stuck buying 2 different things?

Thanks! I'm kind of new to this whole heart rate monitor thing.

Replies

• michellepearson224
    michellepearson224 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Am interested in any replies you get, currently considering a Fitbit but not sure how accurate the calorie counting is. Love that it's a nice, discrete wristband.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No HRM accurately estimates calories from lifting or yoga. They can come close for steady state cardio ... such as running.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Fitbit surge any use? I love mine and use it for running, golf, weight training and gym work.. I love it
  • reenafit32
    reenafit32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check out Polar, I love my m400, tracks mostly everything
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No HRM will accurately track lifting or yoga. There is not a direct relationship between HR and calories burned for those type activities. Garmin, Fitbit, Mio, Tomtom, Polar ... doesn't matter.
  • YogiRunner12925
    YogiRunner12925 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Think I will just stick with something I can use for running then, since that is my main activity anyway.