"Weight is too hard to maintain"?

Options
astrose00
astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've read this in the forum before. What does that mean? Someone will say that they would like to weigh X pounds but it's too hard to maintain. For instance, why would it be much harder to maintain 140lbs (for 5'8" female) compared to 150lbs? All other things being equal, isn't there a small difference in TDEE for those two weights?

I can understand if the two weights were further apart but not sure what is meant by this very common statement.

Any comments are welcome. BTW, 140 is my GW and 150 is where I was before gaining weight (I'm currently around 182lbs). I want to overshoot my prior low weight and get to 140. Am I missing something? I'd think it would be a difference of maybe 20-50 calories per day, if that.

Thanks.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would be any harder, with the exception that they would have fewer calories at 140 than at 150.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm in to lurk. Though I don't know the answer to this. I just plugged the stats for a 5'4" woman at 140 and 150 lbs with the same activity level into the scooby TDEE calculator and the calorie difference is only 68.
  • astrose00
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm in to lurk. Though I don't know the answer to this. I just plugged the stats for a 5'4" woman at 140 and 150 lbs with the same activity level into the scooby TDEE calculator and the calorie difference is only 68.

Yeah, that's like a small apple. I dunno why people say this. Have you heard this, too?
  • arditarose
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

Yeah, that's like a small apple. I dunno why people say this. Have you heard this, too?

Yes. Though you could probably catch me saying that I would think it too hard to maintain 125 pounds. But I have nothing to back that up with ha. It's more like...I think it's too hard to get there, therefore I think it would also be hard to maintain.
  • astrose00
    Options
    I do see people saying the last 10 pounds is the toughest. But not sure how maintenance is that much harder.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not so much a specific number on the scale...it's a level of leanness for which some physiological things start happening that can make maintaining that leanness difficult.

The human body doesn't like being super lean.
  • astrose00
    Options

Yes. Though you could probably catch me saying that I would think it too hard to maintain 125 pounds. But I have nothing to back that up with ha. It's more like...I think it's too hard to get there, therefore I think it would also be hard to maintain.

Now that you mention it, I think you were one of the folks that said it! LOL. I think I was alarmed because you are in maintenance (I think) so I assumed you knew something I didn't. But I have seen others say this as well. I agree it will be harder to get that last 10 pounds because I will be crazy lean by then. I'm already in a 10 at 182lbs. And I was very lean at 150lbs.
  • arditarose
    Options

Now that you mention it, I think you were one of the folks that said it! LOL. I think I was alarmed because you are in maintenance (I think) so I assumed you knew something I didn't. But I have seen others say this as well. I agree it will be harder to get that last 10 pounds because I will be crazy lean by then. I'm already in a 10 at 182lbs. And I was very lean at 150lbs.

Nah it wasn't me. I've never really had that mindset. I've never had a goal below 130 though either, just because it's unnecessary for me. These last 10 pounds are very hard though, yes.
  • astrose00
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's not so much a specific number on the scale...it's a level of leanness for which some physiological things start happening that can make maintaining that leanness difficult.

Hmmm. Now that is an interesting perspective. I will have to research that. What bodyfat percent would you say that is for a female (super lean)? I would think that would approach bodybuilding/fitness competitor levels. I'm hoping to get to maybe 19-20 percent. Whatever I need to get to in order to look RIDICULOUS in a bikini.
  • lessachs
    lessachs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a NutriSystem counselor that told me not to worry about lack of weight loss. If we're doing the right thing--it could take up to three weeks to notice a change or move from a weight "plateau".
  • astrose00
    Options
    I'm sorry, that just made my head hurt. I don't understand. I think I need food now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Hmmm. Now that is an interesting perspective. I will have to research that. What bodyfat percent would you say that is for a female (super lean)? I would think that would approach bodybuilding/fitness competitor levels. I'm hoping to get to maybe 19-20 percent. Whatever I need to get to in order to look RIDICULOUS in a bikini.

It's different for different people...and honestly, I don't know what it would be for a woman other than definitely below 20%.

I maintain really easily at 15ish%...and fairly well at 10-12%...below 10% and I start having some major problems...mostly because life becomes a living hell due to my hormones being totally *kitten* which makes me want to eat a house which would obviously make it hard to maintain.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

It's close to 500 calories a week. I can have a big bowl of ice cream or a nice pastry a week for that many calories. Or an extra apple or egg every day. It's not negligible, I'd have to ride my stationary bike for 20-25 minutes to burn that much... and longer than that if I was actually 10 pounds lighter.

And I realize it's probably not the case for everyone, but I get hungry... a lot. And the more I've lost, the hungrier I've got. So I would probably look better at 125 pounds, but I'll be very happy if I manage to get down to 130 (I've been maintaining at 133, pretty much, and it's already a struggle most days, so I got to be realistic).
  • astrose00
    Options

It's different for different people...and honestly, I don't know what it would be for a woman other than definitely below 20%.

I maintain really easily at 15ish%...and fairly well at 10-12%...below 10% and I start having some major problems...mostly because life becomes a living hell due to my hormones being totally *kitten* which makes me want to eat a house which would obviously make it hard to maintain.

Thanks for your input. I definitely want to look into this some more. I will honestly be happy at 150 or 140. I am thinking I want to get to 140, hoping this is mostly fat loss, and gain another 10 of muscle over time.
  • astrose00
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's close to 500 calories a week. I can have a big bowl of ice cream or a nice pastry a week for that many calories. Or an extra apple or egg every day. It's not negligible, I'd have to ride my stationary bike for 20-25 minutes to burn that much... and longer than that if I was actually 10 pounds lighter.

And I realize it's probably not the case for everyone, but I get hungry... a lot. And the more I've lost, the hungrier I've got. So I would probably look better at 125 pounds, but I'll be very happy if I manage to get down to 130 (I've been maintaining at 133, pretty much, and it's already a struggle most days, so I got to be realistic).

What's your TDEE, if you don't mind me asking? I think mine will be around 1800-1900. If I pay attention and make good choices most of the time, I can't imagine being hungry too often.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

What's your TDEE, if you don't mind me asking? I think mine will be around 1800-1900. If I pay attention and make good choices most of the time, I can't imagine being hungry too often.

Mine is around 1800-1900 and it does not feel like enough for me. I was eating at maintenance the other week and make it up to 1800 every day easily, and when over on the weekend. Maintenance is going to be interesting.
  • astrose00
    Options
    Yeah, maintenance terrifies me. I can lose weight like it's my job. Maintaining, not-so-much. I will just have to be as OCD as when I'm losing. I have a spreadsheet, already, that will manage what I can eat "normally" and still be able to go out for drinks and food without worrying. I was hoping I would be able to manage it.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yeah, maintenance terrifies me. I can lose weight like it's my job. Maintaining, not-so-much. I will just have to be as OCD as when I'm losing. I have a spreadsheet, already, that will manage what I can eat "normally" and still be able to go out for drinks and food without worrying. I was hoping I would be able to manage it.

You got it figured out. I'm a hot mess. You'll be great.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I dread but also am excited to see the day I go into maintenece (that is still 80lbs away) because my BMR will be much lower. I hope that by then I will learn to be content with the same things I am doing now and only splurge on occasion and made up with more exercise. I do want a lifestyle full of vegetables and exercise. I don't quite have that down, even after 50lbs lost. >.<
  • astrose00
    Options

You got it figured out. I'm a hot mess. You'll be great.

Ya know what? You don't LOOK a hot mess. I'll take that body and hot messedness in a heart beat. You can have my OCD.