Butter vs Margerine

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I can't get margarine down at all. But yes, you can lose weight with butter. Thank god.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    We only use butter, my husband banned margarine years ago. I used to eat flora light when I lived on my own. We also use whole milk. I still lose weight.

Obviously if you use loads of butter and aren't in a deficit you won't lose, but you can just use a small amount.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    One tip: if you cook with butter, you can use less if you use an enamelled pan (vs. stainless steel or even cast iron). I don't know why, but it doesn't burn - less seems to go further.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I get the feeling that people are making their decisions from a very dated perception of margarine. Agreed that margarine does contain trans fats, but in a quantity far less than when margarine was first introduced. Now margarine is made with very little trans fats. Butter on the other hand contains around 50gr saturated fat per 100gr, compared to 14gr/100 for margarine. That's half of what you're eating being saturated fat. Now this is the killer. Saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol (the bad one) which is a serious risk factor for cardiovascular disease. With cardiovascular disease being one of the largest causes of death in the western world, it would probably be prudent to reduce our consumption of saturated fats. Margarine has unfortunately been stuck with this stigma of being man made and not good for us, however it has developed significantly over time and is not nearly the same product it used to be. At the end of the day, individuals need to do what is best for them. If eating butter over margarine makes someone feel better, then who am I to say that someone's physical well being is more important than their mental well being.

I bet you work for Big Margarine
  • Spicer63
    Spicer63 Posts: 2
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Margarine = disgust
  • Spicer63
    Spicer63 Posts: 2
    Options
    What about the spray butter?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Spicer63 wrote: »
    You mean sprays that look like butter, but aren't, still margarine.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Butter is what I use.
    If it fits your calorie goal you will still lose weight.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    How is this still a question? Butter is infinitely better in all ways to margarine.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    I get the feeling that people are making their decisions from a very dated perception of margarine. Agreed that margarine does contain trans fats, but in a quantity far less than when margarine was first introduced. Now margarine is made with very little trans fats. Butter on the other hand contains around 50gr saturated fat per 100gr, compared to 14gr/100 for margarine. That's half of what you're eating being saturated fat. Now this is the killer. Saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol (the bad one) which is a serious risk factor for cardiovascular disease. With cardiovascular disease being one of the largest causes of death in the western world, it would probably be prudent to reduce our consumption of saturated fats. Margarine has unfortunately been stuck with this stigma of being man made and not good for us, however it has developed significantly over time and is not nearly the same product it used to be. At the end of the day, individuals need to do what is best for them. If eating butter over margarine makes someone feel better, then who am I to say that someone's physical well being is more important than their mental well being.

Solid first post. Way to fearmonger, provide no scientific backup, and make zero sense.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    How is this still a question? Butter is infinitely better in all ways to margarine.
    Well, there's probably a few generations where butter was looked upon as evil, you know like the middle ages.

• asdowe13
    Options
    Hi all

Late last year I made the switch from margarine to butter as I'd read it was better for you overall. However now I am wondering if it's hindering my weight loss, have you switched between the two? Did you notice any difference?

As long as you are eating a deficit butter will not hinder your weight loss.

If you are not losing weight it's not butters fault.....It is eating too many calories fault so yours.
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am a butter girl. I do buy the whipped butter, easier to spread.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I only use margarine, I don't like butter at all. There's only one brand of marg I use though (Stork, I think it's the best) because when you get a bad kind, it is truly dreadful. I tried some supermarket's own-brand super cheap stuff once, it was disgusting, it looked and smelled like plastic and somehow didn't taste as good as plastic....

Making the switch shouldn't have made any difference to your weight loss though.
  • jordie1129
    Options
    Butter, just weigh it an log it.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Even when butter was thought to so much worse for us than margarine, I never bought it. Growing up, my mom always believed margarine was lower in fat and calories, probably because nutritional labels weren't printed on packages then. She was a phenomenal cook, but she refused to cook or even bake with butter, and she ranted about women who made cookies with butter.

Then I got my first apartment after college, and I bought and baked cookies with butter.
    I felt like a caveman discovering fire.

I still eat butter on this diet. I just don't blow through a pound a week anymore.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    #teambutter ;)

I love this! another for team butter :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The only thing that hinders weight loss is eating too many calories...it's math...like 5th grade math.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Spicer63 wrote: »

How about picking up a 'Misto' Google for a photo if you're not familiar) and adding EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) for most all your needs for spray. Simple and healthier..unless you go overboard with the spraying. ;)