Metabolic Efficiency

Options
bpotts44
bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
Has anyone heard of this concept and tried to use it to increase athletic performance?

My understanding is that you eat low carb, moderate protein, and get majority of your calories from fat. The theory goes that this trains your muscles to burn fat in aerobic conditions, balances your hormones (insulin and cortisone), which strengthens your athletic performance and curbs hunger. I have been following this advice for less than a week now and I have liked it thus far. Does anyone have any guidance or real world experience with this type of diet and endurance sports (distance running, triathalon, etc)?

Replies

• bpotts44
    Options
    bump.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Due to medical reasons, I'm having to live ketogenic. I can definitely tell in my swimming when I've "fallen off the wagon". My times get worse for my endurance swims, and I feel a lot shakier when I crawl out of the water. When I keep my ratios right, I can actually walk out after 1600 + m swims.

Didn't deliberately use the metabolic effect, and hadn't connected those dots yet, but it makes sense.
  • pghtrader
    pghtrader Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this what you are looking for, but Dr Jack Kruse has a lot of information on on his site regarding how foods/enzymes/hormones impact the metabolism. Specifically, there is good info on the lower carb approach. You may have to dig for what you need, but if your looking for someone knowledgeable of the science, he is the man.

http://www.jackkruse.com/getting-started-guide/

Hope that helps!

pghtrader
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was a Bob Seebohar fan before he got into the low carb and UCAN promotion stuff. Now, not so much.

I remain a Phil Maffetone fan and do morning workouts fasted. I also practice a Martin Berkhan, leangains.com inspired approach to Intermittent Fasting. These seem to be improving my metabolic efficiency.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting, but also difficult. I mean, fat is usually bound up in meat or added to carbs to make delicious pastries. Do you just eat a lot of low-starch vegetables tossed in olive oil?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I recommend Peter Attia's writings on this. http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-interplay-of-exercise-and-ketosis-part-i

I eat lowish carb (100g-150g) because I feel like it curbs my appetite. I think it does help my endurance performance, but hurts my sprint performance.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting, but also difficult. I mean, fat is usually bound up in meat or added to carbs to make delicious pastries. Do you just eat a lot of low-starch vegetables tossed in olive oil?

Nuts, cheeses, avocados are also good sources of fat
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Cheese, eggs, nuts ?

High fat, moderate protein, low carb.
  • bpotts44
    Options
    I have not found it hard to get the fats. I have been using butter and coconut oil along with several eggs per day and yes salads tossed with olive oil. Thank you all for the information. Its a lot to digest.