1,000 calories burned

Options
13»

Replies

• Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just burned 881 calories (I wear a Polar HRM that must be pretty accurate, considering I am maintaining/losing) in 81 minutes yesterday. I did that on my stationary bike and a few minutes of a strength training.

I ran a half marathon in just under 3 hours in November and burned over 2,200 calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Zx14chick wrote: »
    I just burned 881 calories (I wear a Polar HRM that must be pretty accurate, considering I am maintaining/losing) in 81 minutes yesterday. I did that on my stationary bike and a few minutes of a strength training.

Except that wearing an HRM while lifting will usually inflate the numbers since an HRM isn't designed to track weight lifting calories.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Zx14chick wrote: »

Except that wearing an HRM while lifting will usually inflate the numbers since an HRM isn't designed to track weight lifting calories.

Yep. The HRM is using your heart rate x time to estimate calories. There is good correlation to heart rate and energy expenditure when we are talking about cardiovascular exercise. It is not going to be accurate for strength training as your heart rate rises and falls in spikes during the exercise but that is not necessarily in response to actually burning any real energy. You are stressing anaerobic systems when lifting, which is not what the HRM is going to be able to measure.

You can get yourself a "high calorie burn" that is entirely fake by sitting in a sauna for 20 minutes. Your heart rate will go up to help raise your sweat rate, so you cool off. Again, your HRM will be "fooled" into thinking you are actually burning calories when in reality your heart rate is higher for a different reason.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    for me (5'7" 189 pound 39 year old female) thats a nine mile run for me at a 12 min mile pace. 1.5 -2 hours of constant cardio.

weightloss is more about what you eat and less about the exercise. you cant exercise your way out of a bad diet.
  • Battleshipcombat
    Options
    Jump roping
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I forgot to shut off my heart rate monitor after working out, and went and watched my kid train for the last half of her practice. 1.5 hours later, 1100 calories burned, voila! o:) (I wish it was that easy!)