Help please - Water retention after vacation

Options
Hi all, I was in vacation to my homeland for 5 days only, how to remove water retained in body after the 5 irregular days? My weight increased by 3 kgs within only 5 days which is impossible as I didn't break my goal that way; only 2000 kcal increase as a total in 5 days. I'm sure it is only water retention because of high sodium and fast food I ingest during my vacation. Your help please BTW I'm working out 4 days a week (lifting weights) for 60 minutes/day.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why are you so bothered about the water weight? It will stabilize when you get back to your normal habits without having to do anything special.
  • rissavanwey
    Options
    Usually if you gained that much that fast, it will come off just as fast. For me, flying always makes me feel "puffy" for a couple of days. Just drink lots of water (so your body doesn't try to retain it); watch your salt intake (stay within regular daily goals, don't try to not have ANY), and just move more. Maybe do a bit of cardio instead of weights for a couple of days?
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Why are you so bothered about the water weight? It will stabilize when you get back to your normal habits without having to do anything special.

Thanks Sarauk2sf for your reply. Actually I'm worried because I'm not feeling satisfied, I feel bloated and my tummy as well as thighs and legs are inflated that affects my clothes. I want to be sure it is not something wrong I did during my vacation. That's it. BTW, do drinking rum and cold weather affect water retention? I'm not regular drinker; but I had 0.5L of golden rum during vacation, also weather was very cold.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    Usually if you gained that much that fast, it will come off just as fast. For me, flying always makes me feel "puffy" for a couple of days. Just drink lots of water (so your body doesn't try to retain it); watch your salt intake (stay within regular daily goals, don't try to not have ANY), and just move more. Maybe do a bit of cardio instead of weights for a couple of days?

Thanks Rissavanwey, can you advice me how to know daily goal of sodium?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Thanks Sarauk2sf for your reply. Actually I'm worried because I'm not feeling satisfied, I feel bloated and my tummy as well as thighs and legs are inflated that affects my clothes. I want to be sure it is not something wrong I did during my vacation. That's it. BTW, do drinking rum and cold weather affect water retention? I'm not regular drinker; but I had 0.5L of golden rum during vacation, also weather was very cold.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Flying impacts water retention.

I doubt that the cold or the rum would impact it.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    3kg increase is nothing, I sometimes gain up to 6kg in 24hours depending on the weather, and my sodium intake, but as the above poster states, I end up losing it all just a fast as I gained it. Weight is funny thing.
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    Spiderkeys wrote: »
    3kg increase is nothing, I sometimes gain up to 6kg in 24hours depending on the weather, and my sodium intake, but as the above poster states, I end up losing it all just a fast as I gained it. Weight is funny thing.

Thanks Spiderkeys, It is 6th day since end of vacation and returning back to regular life style with no reduction in weight so that I'm very worry. Anyway I will start reducing sodium intake too much and increase cardio intensity for coming next day. Hope this helps.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    drink a lot of water to help flush it out…

and don't worry about it, it is not actual fat gain….

• troyindallas
    troyindallas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Reduce it to 1600 mg a day until you get it off, then if you want, you can ease back up to your normal range. I retain like a woman. I drink lots of water and taking it 1600 daily has kept me normal and my high blood pressure has dropped.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You can look up your recommended sodium intake on MFP. Look under Nutrition in the mobile app..you will see a really nice chart
    It's more complicated on the PC...under reports I think
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I hate water weight as well. Surprisingly, I find that the best way to keep water weight away is to drink a LOT of water and avoid adding salt to anything. I don't go out of my way to avoid any salt, just remove it from your cooking.

I drink 96 oz of water/iced tea a day, but I am six feet tall. They say it is best to drink half your weight in ounces, so I guess I go the extra mile by drinking more than that.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    coffee and black tea are natural diuretics
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about it, you'll see that gain disappear any day, when I come back from vacation I gain a few pounds temporarily but they're gone within two weeks. And I eat way over maintenance whilst away, I just balance it out with being extra active :smile:
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water and be patient. I gain a load when I'm on business trips. I might not eat back all my calories from workouts if it's not shifted in a couple of weeks, but freaking out isn't going to make it shift any faster than ignoring it TBH.
  • hanymamdouh
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Drink tons of water and be patient. I gain a load when I'm on business trips. I might not eat back all my calories from workouts if it's not shifted in a couple of weeks, but freaking out isn't going to make it shift any faster than ignoring it TBH.

Many thanks for the advice; "Freaking out isn't going to make it shift any faster than ignoring it". You made my day Mrs. Dopeysmelly.

what is your advice for precautions that should be taken during my next business trips? what should I do to avoid this to happen again?
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    las07s wrote: »
    I feel you! I hate water weight as well. Surprisingly, I find that the best way to keep water weight away is to drink a LOT of water and avoid adding salt to anything. I don't go out of my way to avoid any salt, just remove it from your cooking.

I drink 96 oz of water/iced tea a day, but I am six feet tall. They say it is best to drink half your weight in ounces, so I guess I go the extra mile by drinking more than that.

Thanks Mrs. las07s, I already followed your and others respective posters advice to drink more water, and planned my next week meals low in sodium (1000 mg) per day. Hope this will work.