Strengh training

Options
How do I know how heavy my weights should be?

Replies

• koussan
    koussan Posts: 5
    Options
    For me, I would be able to do about 10-12 reps of an exercise with good form too. You should do heavy enough weights that you would be ready to stop after those 10-12 reps!
  • jenifur2015
    Options
    Thanks that helps a lot☺️
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If it is strength, you should be doing 3 - 5 reps. For muscle mass (hypertrophy) it is 7 - 10 reps. And for muscle endurance you’ll go 11 - 25 reps. Most programs are going to have 3 - 5 sets. If you can do all of the sets at the top end of the goal range (with good form), it is time to increase the weight.

You should also know that strength gain is not always linear. There may be days that you need to drop back to maintain good form.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If it is strength, you should be doing 3 - 5 reps. For muscle mass (hypertrophy) it is 7 - 10 reps. And for muscle endurance you’ll go 11 - 25 reps. Most programs are going to have 3 - 5 sets. If you can do all of the sets at the top end of the goal range (with good form), it is time to increase the weight.

You should also know that strength gain is not always linear. There may be days that you need to drop back to maintain good form.

Perfectly stated!
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Lifting "heavy" in the strength world is typically 80% of your one rep max for any given movement. But determining that is risky when you are new to lifting. As Allan said you want to aim for 3-5 reps, meaning up your weight until that last rep is really difficult for you. Also take a decent break between sets, sixty seconds of real rest after 5 reps.
  • jenifur2015
    Options
    My goal is to loose weight and tone up my whole body. I have 20lbs to loose but I don't want to end up skinny. I eat clean and I do cardio aswell. Thanks for the tips they've helped a lot:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

This.gif
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Start with a beginner program (NROL) and start light to learn technique. Beginner programs will have you add weight as you go and learn technique.