How do you log things that do not exist in the database?

Options
I've been craving some local plant that is not registered in the database, and it looks to be the kind of craving that lasts for days since it has a a very short season before it gets too tough to eat. I'm not sure how to log it..

It's a type of a thistle called Gundelia, and we usually consume the roots and/or the undeveloped flower.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would look for a calorie count anywhere and then log as a calorie amount
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you know the nutritional information, then add it to the database yourself.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That's the problem, I don't know the nutritional information. We forage for it ourselves. The thing I'm craving is from the undeveloped flowers, they are kind of like artichoke hearts. Would I be safe logging it as artichoke hearts?
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Since you have no way of knowing nutritional information, and as it seems to be a very short season so you won't be eating so much of it that it will make much difference to anything, I'd log it as artichoke hearts if that's what it's similar to. Calorie counting is an inexact science at the best of times, so I don't think a few guesstimates in your food diary for something you really enjoy will have any long term effect on your goals.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how it's in the vegetable catagory--greens, etc. It probably doesn't have alot of calories. It won't put you way over if you log it as another green that you think it's close to. The thing to watch is what you put on it--that usually has the calories. :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    i have never seen a question like this on any calorie logging forum. neat.

i agree with snowflake954.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how it's in the vegetable catagory--greens, etc. It probably doesn't have alot of calories. It won't put you way over if you log it as another green that you think it's close to. The thing to watch is what you put on it--that usually has the calories. :)

^^ that
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I found this, on page 7 of the PDF it lists some nutrition data for Gundelia per 100g sample - not calories unfortunately, but it has protein, fat and carb so you could do the math if you were so inclined (or use the table chart to compare it to artichoke hearts and go with that)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I found this, on page 7 of the PDF it lists some nutrition data for Gundelia per 100g sample - not calories unfortunately, but it has protein, fat and carb so you could do the math if you were so inclined (or use the table chart to compare it to artichoke hearts and go with that)

Thank you! To be honest it was more curiosity than anything else. Interestingly, after doing the math it is pretty close to artichoke hearts in calories. Also, "improves appetite"? Like I need any more of that. Oh well, it is what it is.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You mean like baby toes?