Stretching Before or after workouts

Options
I know you are supposed to stretch before exercise. But for how long? Then after do you stretch again? One more thing do you know a good website for tips on stretching.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For me it's more important after. There are some things I do now that make foam rolling, or a dynamic warm-up that best fits the lift I'm going to perform that day absolutely necessary. But often, I feel like mindless stretching before working out is unneeded and doesn't feel right or good when my body is not warmed up yet.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Don't stretch cold muscles or you'll risk injuring yourself.

Warm up by doing some light cardio for a few minutes. Stretch after your workout. A 5-10 minute full body stretch should be enough.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ditto above. Better to warm up with some light cardio before a session, then use static stretch afterwards. If you google static stretching exercises there are lots of suggestions, but try and concentrate on triceps for arms, and hamstrings, calves, and glutes for legs.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Stretching after works better for me. Even when I'm going to yoga class, I like to hit the treadmill or elliptical for at least 10 minutes first. Warm muscles stretch much better.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    When doing weights I ususally warm up with 3 warm up sets at half of my current max. I also stretch for 15 min after every work out session.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Honestly, everyone is different. Some people/studies will tell you that stretching before a workout is best, some will tell you after, and others will tell you to stretch before and after. What really matters is what works best for you. I do agree with everyone else though, stretching warm muscles is safer than stretching cold muscles.

For me it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm going for a run, I tend to stretch during my warm up. I walk about a mile and stretch my arms and legs before I actually start running and then I stretch again after my run. But If I'm strength training, then I'll only stretch after my workout.
  • allyccarpenter
    Options
    I prefer a light yoga warm up. A few sun salutations get me stretched and the heart rate started