can it be done after 40

Options

Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 61 years old, disabled, and have 63 lbs off so far.
  • MzzNorma
    MzzNorma Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Thank you fo much for feedback and the encouragement love the support of the community
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    csteuter wrote: »
    Well, I am 55 and started January 27. Not a lot of exercise but have religiously logged on MFP and stayed within my 1200 calories a day 99% of the time. I have lost 5.5 pounds, and 4 pounds of that was the first week. (Less exercise due to problems with my feet and shoulder). I cannot tell you how discouraged I am.

A lot depends on your logging - how accurate you are with what you put in. Do you use a food scale? Do you verify the nutrition info of everything (MFP database has a lot of "off" entries...believe it or not.) When you do exercise, are you eating back all of the exercise calories MFP allots? (Because MFP overestimates calorie burn for exercise...) Have you checked out some of the getting started threads that are pinned as announcements on the Introduction forum, weight loss forum, etc.?

Don't be discouraged. It will come. Keep at it, and keep perfecting your logging. :)

• MzzNorma
    Options
    Thank you
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP wrote:
    I am 41 and been told it will be hard to loose (sic) the 17 lbs I wish to
    Pastrami.
    Sue has lost 124 lb starting in her late 60's. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/hanfordrose
    I got serious about losing weight when I was 45.
    51637601.png

With so little to lose, it will be slow (0.5 lb a week would be a victory), but you can do it. Also consider doing more weightlifting so you will tone up & lose inches. That might make you happy at your current weight, if it's in the healthy BMI range.

DragonMeat wrote:
    It is not wholly just calories in vs. calories out... there are so many other factors involved that there is no way to generalize it (for instance, I have hypothyroidism and pcos, which are metabolic issues that make it harder for me to lose weight on top of being over 40).
    Those issues may make your calorie requirements lower, but CICO is still valid.
    If you eat more than your body needs you will gain weight.
    If you're 75, hypothyroid, 4'9", and inactive - all of which factors lower your calorie needs - you might only need 700 cal/day.
    Someone who's 23, a professional athlete, 6' tall, might plow through 4000 cal/day.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    DragonMeat wrote:
    It is not wholly just calories in vs. calories out... there are so many other factors involved that there is no way to generalize it (for instance, I have hypothyroidism and pcos, which are metabolic issues that make it harder for me to lose weight on top of being over 40).
    Those issues may make your calorie requirements lower, but CICO is still valid.
    If you eat more than your body needs you will gain weight.
    If you're 75, hypothyroid, 4'9", and inactive - all of which factors lower your calorie needs - you might only need 700 cal/day.
    Someone who's 23, a professional athlete, 6' tall, might plow through 4000 cal/day.

I definitely agree with CICO! I am 51 and don't have a thyroid (on replacement). Weight loss is as easy or as hard as you want to make it... Good on you for taking on the challenge!!
  • MzzNorma
    Options
    Thank you for sharing
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    43 here, hypothyroid, and lost 36 pounds over the last 7 months, am now in maintenance and working on building some muscle.

You can definitely do it! Use a food scale, and log everything!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    44 and lost 38 lbs so far and I'm all sorts of messed up.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    44 and I'm on a 1&1/2 pound a week diet.. The scale today says, "YES! It can be done!"
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. I didn't find it harder. It boiled down to simple math on my part. I wish I had only 17 lbs to lose when I started! I think a lot of factoring in age and losing weight has to do with my life and responsibilities that I have now versus when I was in my 20s and needed to lose weight. It may be harder to schedule exercise and I probably have more temptation now than I did when I was younger but my will power is stronger. Good luck!
  • jddicarlo
    jddicarlo Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. 44 this onto and back at it. 18 lbs down and plenty more to go, but I'm going to be in better shape in my 40's than when I was in my 20's and 30's...... Feel free to add me
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started at 45, and lost 260+ pounds. It's possible.
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This thread is proof of why MFP is such a tremendous help! The community... the love and concern people have for each other... the encouragement! I am 45 and lost about 35 lbs two years ago and am working on a few more... it is awesome to have so much good advice and support!
  • MzzNorma
    Options
    Yeayyyyyyyy thanks
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    dfranch wrote: »
    I lost 95 lbs at 45. No reason you can't too.
    Ill be more impressed when I can lose 45 pounds at 95.
  • brendo204
    brendo204 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    of course u can do it!! get it done and prove whoever said that wrong!!
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i started 9months ago at 47 and already lost the weight i wanted..also 2 sizes down in jeans and tshirts ..you can do it
  • nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You are not old! I am losing nicely and I am 73. You have just got to log every thing you eat, maintain the deficit, and as you get lighter you will feel more like exercising. Good luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    46- totally can be done!