How do I maintain without gaining weight?

Options
nm212
nm212 Posts: 570 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi MFP pals! I noticed that despite winter as my excuse for gaining back half the weight I lost last year, that dating someone also makes it hard!! Is it because you are happy? Is it because you eat out more? How do I control this next time? I think I just wanted to relax and not worry anymore....but now that I'm single again, I'm mad that I have to start over again when I thought I was "maintaining" (Well at least that was my excuse). I wish it was easier to just keep it off!!!!

How do you maintain then without gaining weight? I'm having a hard time getting back on track here... not logging everything... :s It's bad...I used to be so good!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It has been awhile since I dated but my biggest downfall was going out for dinner or other activities that had food (movies - buttered popcorn, fair- fried dough). Find more active dates like roller or ice skating, skiing or just a walk or hike.
    I'm just getting back to this myself. I didn't really gain but I realized I wasn't feeling as well as before. Below zero temps have kept me from going on my usual walks. All I can tell you is just do it, you will feel much better for it.
  • nm212
    Options
    Thanks. That's a good idea to do more active things. It's so hard to maintain and especially in the freezing cold winter!!! I've already gotten snowed in 3 times this winter! This icey temperature sucks. I can't wait for Spring!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I've been married for a good amount of time but we still try to have regular date nights. Here are a few tricks that I've learned.

In warm weather we have picnics, pack a picnic lunch and find parks or nature trails. Walk/hike to a good spot, enjoy each others company, have lunch and then walk back. Typically our picnic lunch involves cheese, fruit, veggies with PB and bottled water. If you need something to sustain you longer make some hard boiled eggs, meat and cheese rolls ups and side salads. One of our favorites is to go kayaking, rentals are usually fairly cheap and they'll provide basic instruction if you're a newbie. Again we pack a light picnic type lunch and paddle out to a quiet spot and chat. Pretty easy to have regular conversation while kayaking too, I recommend separate kayaks though, tandem can be a bit challenging both communicatively and physically.

Cooler weather usually requires indoor dining so we pick places attached to malls. Park at the opposite end of the mall so the restaurant is farther away and then do some window shopping.
    Catching a movie and want snacks, sweet snacks dried fruit and flavored almonds, want popcorn have it without butter and bring in some spicy seasoning mix to sprinkle over the top.

If you're not afraid of the cold, go ice skating, snowshoe, sledding/tubing or find a winter carnival. All of those items make conversation possible and will burn some calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that you need to make eating right (within your calorie range) and exercising (if that's your thing) part of your life. If it's part of your routine, I don't see how dating would affect it. That would be like dating affecting how often you do laundry or brush your teeth. Just make taking care of yourself your baseline, not something that you worry about.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You need to make changes to your daily life (eating healthier and/or less and exercising) in order to maintain. No excuses. Make it a priority.

As far as dating...I've been single for umm....ever. And my dating life goes in spurts. I used to get frustrated and cancel dates that involved too much eating or drinking because of calories. However - I realized that anyone who WANTS to go on those types of dates is NOT right for me. My idea of fun is going running, hiking, hitting the gym, playing sports, and curling up in front of a movie with a glass of wine. If he enjoys going out and partying every weekend or eating out every night.....we really are not compatible. My health and fitness is a huge priority in my life, therefore my partner will need to be fairly healthy and active as well.
  • RocketSpur77
    RocketSpur77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You don't. You don't date. Boom. Problem solved. #SingleCusImBroke
  • nm212
    Options
    Agreed with all of you. I was doing good for a long time, but ever since Thanksgiving, been going downhill.... I've been on MFP for at least 1.5 yrs now and it's just crazy how it takes so long to lose but it is so easy to gain it back! It took me a year to keep off 15 lbs...and within 4 months already gained back half of that! I think I do maintain a healthy lifestyle overall. It's just hard sometimes.