Readers Digest article

Options
In the March 2015 issue of Reader's Digest they have an article titled "Classic Diet Advice (you can probably ignore)" In the article they point out 5 things 1) Don't lose weight quickly. 2) Always eat breakfast. 3)Eating at home is always better than eating out. 4) Small Changes add up. and 5) Big ambitious weight-goals set you up for failure. Basically the article takes the contrary views on these things based on scientific research. I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a chance to read the article and what they thought about it. My opinion is that this was very shoddy journalism on their part because a lot of those things are what helped me to lose almost 90lbs so far.

Replies

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I can understand the potential rationales for 1,2,3, and 5, but 4 puzzles me. How do they refute the idea that small changes don't add up?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Has anything in Reader's Digest ever not been shoddy journalism? That isn't exactly my #1 source for reliable information...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can understand the potential rationales for 1,2,3, and 5, but 3 puzzles me. How do they refute the idea that small change don't add up?

I agree with this (assuming you meant 4 and mistyped 3). I haven't read the article though. I honestly didn't know Readers Digest was still in print.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I can understand the potential rationales for 1,2,3, and 5, but 3 puzzles me. How do they refute the idea that small change don't add up?

I agree with this (assuming you meant 4 and mistyped 3). I haven't read the article though. I honestly didn't know Readers Digest was still in print.

Yup, fixed it.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Has anything in Reader's Digest ever not been shoddy journalism? That isn't exactly my #1 source for reliable information...

boom!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the article but I like it when magazines refute diet myths based on research.

Maybe their stance is that small changes do add up but big changes add up faster and have more visible short term results, which helps make people really commit to the changes. We generally respond best to immediate positive feedback.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Well, I know that the study that #1 was based on has been discussed on here before, so that point's not just coming out of the ether.

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    So a journalist cherry picked a few studies in order to write an attention grabbing article on diets . . . I'm so shocked.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    guess I would have to read the article. here's my experience:
    1) Don't lose weight quickly. - the times I went for a quick fix always failed miserably but some people have had success for example weight loss surgery.

2) Always eat breakfast - I used to skip breakfast all the time now I eat something and it works for me. I am not starving by lunch time if I have at least a little bit. On the other hand my mother could not eat breakfast and it never hurt her.

3)Eating at home is always better than eating out - it is easier to control portions and what goes in to your food when eating at home but MFP makes it easy to make good choices at restaurants too.

4) Small Changes add up - yes they do dropping soda can reduce your calorie intake. and

5) Big ambitious weight-goals set you up for failure - I have a big ambitious weight goal and even though I have failed in the past I know I am going to make it this time. It is all a matter of attitude and committment
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    So a journalist cherry picked a few studies in order to write an attention grabbing article on diets . . . I'm so shocked.

this is exactly what i was thinking and it's a magazine that is still widely read so to give out information that people will obviously cherry pick is very irresponsible IMO.

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    brcossette wrote: »
    My opinion is that this was very shoddy journalism on their part because a lot of those things are what helped me to lose almost 90lbs so far.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. You may have had success doing all of those things, others have success doing none of those things. Nobody is all right or all wrong.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The first diet book I read was Body For Life. It said exercising first thing in the morning was four times more effective for fat loss than later in the day. So I didn't exercise for years because mornings weren't going to happen. Generally it's a positive when myths are busted. There are probably a lot of people who think they can't make a real attempt at weight loss because they don't eat breakfast or eat at home all the time, and other things that aren't crucial.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Yep this...pretty much standard MO for Reader's Digest
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

this is exactly what i was thinking and it's a magazine that is still widely read so to give out information that people will obviously cherry pick is very irresponsible IMO.

Not defending Reader's Digest, but how is this article any different than morning news shows that trot out their "medical experts" to do a piece on the latest study when they cherry pick the bullet points from it and miss the meat of it? It happens ALLLLLLL the time across all media.

• sofaking6
    Options
    I was nice to RD - you should see my comments about the MFP blog!!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Oh, the MFP blog... puh-lease. It's like pinterest pins in long form sometimes.

• sofaking6
    Options

Oh, the MFP blog... puh-lease. It's like pinterest pins in long form sometimes.
    It is!! I never put that together before...MFP's pinterest board of 5 minute workouts.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    In the March 2015 issue of Reader's Digest they have an article titled "Classic Diet Advice (you can probably ignore)" In the article they point out 5 things 1) Don't lose weight quickly. 2) Always eat breakfast. 3)Eating at home is always better than eating out. 4) Small Changes add up. and 5) Big ambitious weight-goals set you up for failure. Basically the article takes the contrary views on these things based on scientific research. I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a chance to read the article and what they thought about it. My opinion is that this was very shoddy journalism on their part because a lot of those things are what helped me to lose almost 90lbs so far.

I agree with number one and four, and five, but two and three are irrelevant to weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Writers have to eat too.