Too far gone with caffeine/pop (soda) addiction?

Options
grandlinegirl
grandlinegirl Posts: 49 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Before I start, please don't post negative comments. I take responsibility for what's happened and I know will-power is a big part of it. I understand this and the last thing I need is to feel worse about myself...

Now...

I've been addicted to pop as long as I can remember. My parents never gave me any restrictions (not that I'm placing the blame on them. It's me... now. But when I was a kid, I think I should have had limits. There are pictures of me from 2-5+ in our albums, toting around a Pepsi or Coke...)

Anyway, it's gotten to the point where pop is pretty much all I drink. I wake up, grab a pop... I go to school, I buy a pop to drink during classes. I come home, open a pop. I go online, I bring a pop with me...

You get the point.

I've tried to fight it. I've gone about 2 weeks without drinking a pop and in that time I only drank water... The headaches/sickness that came with it was horrible and I eventually gave in again just to get away from it. Nothing took it away.

I've tried switching to other sources of caffeine just to lessen the sickness. I tried drinking more tea, but I can barely make it through a cup. I don't drink coffee, either.

I think part of the problem is my lack of support. My parents aren't supportive at all. Just yesterday we went out shopping and my dad threw some pop into the cart (I'm the only one in the house that drinks it). I said I didn't need it and he said he might feel like one, and he was paying so he got it. We also went for lunch yesterday and I purposely brought a water. When we were ordering the lady asked if we wanted a drink and he said, yeah, give her a pop!

I'm starting to get depressed. I don't know how to fight this. I already know my will-power is lacking and I don't have a support system in place.

I read a comment on here while I was looking for tips and it said something along the lines of... 'Is anyone really that far gone that they drink soda for breakfast?'

Yes. Yes, I am... and I feel like crap for it :(

EDITT: I forgot to mention and since a few people have suggested it... I only drink diet soda's. I prefer them to any other kind, but I still need to get off them...

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. I'm trying to cut down on the amount I drink everyday. I know what you go through. Hopefully, we will get some good comments to help.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Caffeine addictions can be hard to break. "Bubble" addictions are even harder. I drink soda still, but more for the bubbles (I get my caffeine from coffee.)

Going cold turkey will make you miserable. The one time I tried, I slept 14 hours a night for two straight weeks, and had a headache for 6 straight weeks. My soda (and caffeine) consumption is at a "normal" rate now but it took a long time.

But I would definitely start with cutting down, not giving it up completely. First tell yourself you can't have any after, say, 4pm. Then after a few weeks scale back to 2. Then noon, or whatever.
  • lwynd002
    lwynd002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Did you go 'cold turkey' during those 2 weeks or did you wean yourself off of it? (i.e. drinking one less soda a day, and each week decrease) If you did cold turkey, maybe you could try decreasing your consumption a little each week.
  • S_Evanson613
    S_Evanson613 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i was the same exact way for as long as i can remember. I was addicted to Mt. Dew and always had one for breakfast, maybe 2 or 3 during the work day, and at least one when I got home.

People laugh when I say it's an addiction, but it's true.

It was really hard for me to quit (over a month without now!), but after a while I just stopped wanting it. The headaches were unbearable for about a week, but i just kept pushing through.

Unfortunately the only advice i have is to just keep pushing and trying to resist temptation (i know it's much easier said than done!) but maybe youc can sit your dad down and explain to him that you're trying to better your health and making a lifestyle change, and this is the first step. Maybe he hasnt been supportive becuase you haven't really explained to him how you feel.

I hope it works out for you - from one pop addict to another - good luck!
  • tadel1515
    tadel1515 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I try to allow myself no more than 3 a day. I get one when I first wake up and I will drink it with breakfast. One at lunch and one at supper. I drink water or tea in between.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    When I started this weight loss thing 10 months ago, all I drank was Dr. Pepper and coffee. I would have at least 5 Dr. Pepper's a day, and 3 cups of super sweet (fat) coffee.

So what I did initially was: only allow myself a Dr. Pepper after I had had a cup of water. It was like a treat for doing what I was supposed to do. Then I did two cups of water for a Dr. Pepper. Then it was only with meals. Now, it's a few sips of my husband's at dinner :)

It wasn't very hard for me, because I did that over the course of a month. I was tired of drinking all of my calories and decided I'd much rather have ice cream or pizza instead.

I have about a full cup of coffee a day - but I reduced my sugar and cut out creamer entirely. And I have the few sips (sometimes even a full one, if I want it) of Coke (yes, I changed because I found DP to be too sweet for me now) with dinner.

You can do it - just try small, sustainable changes. Don't try to jump in all at once. Weaning will greatly reduce the withdraw symptoms.

Good luck! You can message me anytime you need some moral support!
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was also that way as a child and through my adolescence. Pop/soda was an unlimited resource in my house and I never knew better. As others have said, you need to wean yourself off of it gradually, rather than go cold turkey. Start small, eliminate 1 can per day that you would normally drink. Then cut it down to 1 per day.

Try drinking carbonated flavored water in it's place. You can find them in most grocery stores. I still keep some of the mini-cans (8oz) in the house for when I need a fix. But now I consider it a treat more than a beverage.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you about my experience with dumping soda. Soda, like many other processed foods, has chemicals in it that cause your brain/body to react much the same way that you would react to drugs. So, when you quit soda, there's going to be a withdrawal period. Since 2011, I've quit soda 3 separate times for long stretches (including currently). The first couple of weeks are the hardest because you have caffeine headaches and just want a dang soda. But, if you guzzle that water....I mean really guzzle it....the withdrawal stuff does go away. It might take a little longer for you and, yes, you're going to need will power to get past the withdrawal period. For me, once I got past the withdrawal period, staying away from soda was pretty easy.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I started drinking water with fresh fruit so that I had something to drink with some flavor and only reached for soda a couple times a day instead of it being my only drink. I cut back gradually until it was none. I still drink coffee and hot tea because it wasn't a caffeine problem for me.

Soda was making me sick and I drank a lot of it. My throat always hurt and the bloating was horrible. I had a soda the other day for the first time in awhile and I was so bloated and icky feeling all day yesterday.

At a restaurant speak up and say "no thanks, water please" (or whatever else you want) when he orders you a pop. Don't drink what he buys in the market. As long as you keep drinking it, he thinks you will still keep wanting it no matter what you say.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    couple of things
    1- YOU -NOW- control what goes in your mouth. don't blame your parents. YOU have the control over what goes in your mouth at this point.

2- it took me a couple of attempts, but i finally broke my soda habit. i will on occasion have a diet soda (usually a sprite or 7 up) but thats only once or twice a week, on average. other than that, i drink water. all day (aside from my 2 cups of coffee in the morning and a cup of tea in the evening)

3- replace every other soda with a glass or bottle of water. then, increase it so you only have a soda WITH your meals, water at all other times. then, the one you like the most (for me it was the one in the morning, after my coffee). Then... remove that one. Its okay if it takes a few months. it took me time.

4- get in the habit of ONLY Ordering water when you eat out. it also saves a few bucks on your meal!
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    Angierae75 wrote: »
    Caffeine addictions can be hard to break. "Bubble" addictions are even harder. I drink soda still, but more for the bubbles (I get my caffeine from coffee.)

Going cold turkey will make you miserable. The one time I tried, I slept 14 hours a night for two straight weeks, and had a headache for 6 straight weeks. My soda (and caffeine) consumption is at a "normal" rate now but it took a long time.

But I would definitely start with cutting down, not giving it up completely. First tell yourself you can't have any after, say, 4pm. Then after a few weeks scale back to 2. Then noon, or whatever.

I like that time idea... I think I'm going to try that. Thank you!
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    lwynd002 wrote: »
    Did you go 'cold turkey' during those 2 weeks or did you wean yourself off of it? (i.e. drinking one less soda a day, and each week decrease) If you did cold turkey, maybe you could try decreasing your consumption a little each week.

I did try going cold turkey, which I realize now was silly. I will try that, thank you :)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've tried to fight it. I've gone about 2 weeks without drinking a pop and in that time I only drank water... The headaches/sickness that came with it was horrible and I eventually gave in again just to get away from it. Nothing took it away.
    Then don't do that. Weight management doesn't require drastic changes to your diet such as eliminating entire foods or food groups--you only need to ensure your calorie intake is below your calorie output. Extreme diets and feeling denied often lead to binge cycles.
    My parents aren't supportive at all. (I'm the only one in the house that drinks it). I said I didn't need it and he said he might feel like one, and he was paying so he got it.
    Their house.. so they're supporting you financially? That's hugely supportive, and a big load off your shoulders. I agree the person paying the rent/mortgage should be able to put what they want into the fridge. You, of course, have the choice how quickly those cans go into your tummy.
    When we were ordering the lady asked if we wanted a drink and he said, yeah, give her a pop! I'm starting to get depressed. I don't know how to fight this.
    Option #1: "I really just want water", and if the soda is served, set it to the side of the table.

Option #2: Drink the soda. 12oz of soda won't ruin your calories for the day, and I assume you don't eat at restaurants everyday--which would be more worrying than soda.

For the record, I drank a Sam Pellegrino blood orange, a Simply Lime, and two Manhattans yesterday and met my calorie, protein, and fiber targets. My weight loss and fitness are coming along marvelously! And I want "tasty" to be part of my new life. :)

• grandlinegirl
    Options
    i was the same exact way for as long as i can remember. I was addicted to Mt. Dew and always had one for breakfast, maybe 2 or 3 during the work day, and at least one when I got home.

People laugh when I say it's an addiction, but it's true.

It was really hard for me to quit (over a month without now!), but after a while I just stopped wanting it. The headaches were unbearable for about a week, but i just kept pushing through.

Unfortunately the only advice i have is to just keep pushing and trying to resist temptation (i know it's much easier said than done!) but maybe youc can sit your dad down and explain to him that you're trying to better your health and making a lifestyle change, and this is the first step. Maybe he hasnt been supportive becuase you haven't really explained to him how you feel.

I hope it works out for you - from one pop addict to another - good luck!

It's true - people really don't understand that it's an addiction!! And congrats!!

I know I need to just push through. I'm really glad I posted this thread. Hearing from people that have it as bad as me helps. And I will talk to him. Thank you :)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking the sweet pops? That adds a lot of calories in a day. And then there's the caffeine boost you are getting in there too.

I'm of the camp that diet pop is not that much different than water.

Could you switch to diet pop? You will significantly reduce the calories you are consuming in a day.
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    When I started this weight loss thing 10 months ago, all I drank was Dr. Pepper and coffee. I would have at least 5 Dr. Pepper's a day, and 3 cups of super sweet (fat) coffee.

So what I did initially was: only allow myself a Dr. Pepper after I had had a cup of water. It was like a treat for doing what I was supposed to do. Then I did two cups of water for a Dr. Pepper. Then it was only with meals. Now, it's a few sips of my husband's at dinner :)

It wasn't very hard for me, because I did that over the course of a month. I was tired of drinking all of my calories and decided I'd much rather have ice cream or pizza instead.

I have about a full cup of coffee a day - but I reduced my sugar and cut out creamer entirely. And I have the few sips (sometimes even a full one, if I want it) of Coke (yes, I changed because I found DP to be too sweet for me now) with dinner.

You can do it - just try small, sustainable changes. Don't try to jump in all at once. Weaning will greatly reduce the withdraw symptoms.

Good luck! You can message me anytime you need some moral support!

That water idea is awesome!! I'm definitely going to implement that!!

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I won't get into the addiction thing as that will just start a back and forth but really....just stop it if you want. I understand that certain behaviours are hard to break as I love my afternoon coffee and nightly diet coke but whatever...and yes I've been doing those two things for over 30 years...if you want it bad enough you will find a way.
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Are you drinking the sweet pops? That adds a lot of calories in a day. And then there's the caffeine boost you are getting in there too.

I'm of the camp that diet pop is not that much different than water.

Could you switch to diet pop? You will significantly reduce the calories you are consuming in a day.

Diet pop is all I drink. When I'm out, I'll get a coke zero or diet coke and I've tried getting in the habit of buying caffeine free for when I'm at home so I still get the feel of drinking a pop but I'm not actually getting the caffeine...

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I adopted this little internal policy a while back and it's worked pretty well for me. For whatever non water drink I have I drink a glass of water.
    I tend to wonder if some of this "addiction" isn't more just a habit you've gotten into. You don't seem to have an issue with drinking water which is fantastic so while you can't control what others purchase you can control your own consumption of it.
    I've gone through the headaches you experienced and they suck plain and simple so I wouldn't suggest cold turkey just work to add water for now.

Something else that might help is not to drink out of the can or bottle but pour it into a glass with ice. I know that's not always an option when you're at school or out and about but it might just slow down the pop consumption.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to diet soda for awhile?