Love My Running Shoes

Options
I really do. I love them. Some days the main reason I get my butt out to run is because I have new shoes. When I first started running just under four years ago, I knew nothing about running shoes and bought crappy ones. Then I learned that I belonged in minimalist shoes with zero-drop, and my love affair started.

My mother, who probably never ran a day in her life, suddenly was my biggest supporter and bought all my shoes. She always saw me as her little boy who got crippled up with arthritis when he was 14 and was never given any hope or chance of running. And then she got to see me four decades later running for no other reason than for the joy of just being able to. So she bought me shoes. She needed to be part of my transformation. Buying me shoes was a big deal for her. She asked me every time we spoke on the phone if I was ready for another pair. And good son that I was, I indulged her.

She was fascinated by my light, flimsy New Balance collection that I could roll up and put in my pocket. I think she thought they would all be like Keds or PF Flyers.

5vkt9zldsvyv.jpg

She also took great delight seeing what colors Merrell would be coming up with next. She ordered everything on-line, and it made her day whenever I told color didn’t matter and she could pick whatever color she wanted. I made sure that when a coveted box would arrive, I would drive up to see her so we could both see what gaudy footwear would emerge from the box.

rzvmvuw7p1pz.jpg

And of course, there were times when I had to get some just to keep my rotation interesting. So I introduced her to strange names like Inov-8, Altra and Montrail. She thought they were boring, but she always pretended to listen with keen interest why these shoes were just as good as the pretty ones. I’m certain she did not believe me.

5q9o7pdujsrc.jpg

The last pair she bought me was on June 6, 2014. She passed away on June 17, 2014, after long battle with diabetes that ravaged her legs. I got the news just as I was finishing a long run in the early morning haze along the beaches in Cape May, New Jersey. I miss her, but she is there every morning that I lace up. I love my shoes.

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful post.

I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful, she sounds like she was an amazing woman.

I'm sorry for your loss.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful story and a wonderful connection you will always have with her.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. I'm sorry for your loss. I love your story, though.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ZoeLifts wrote: »

This. Beautiful.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this beauty story.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i love love this post, love the shoes, love that you shared this, thank you. i am always delighted to hear how running changes people & the impact it has. i think that's why i get so nerved when people talk negatively about running. i can only imagine the awesome memories you must have of your mom.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ZoeLifts wrote: »

This. Beautiful.

So much this.
    It's absolutely adorable that your mom supported you in such a way.
    It's amazing, loving, touching, and I'm trying not to cry at my desk.
    I'm so sorry for your loss but at least you can carry a part of her on every run, for every mile.

RIP MommaWolfRunner
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    What a great mother and such great memories.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Oh. This brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad you were able to share this with your mom, and that seeing your colorful shoe collection makes you think of her. I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Solid.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for your loss, happy you had a supportive momma :) Love the pics of the shoes :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Wow.......
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss but what an amazing story. It is special that every time you lace up your shoes she will be on your run with you.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Love that!!! Your mum sounds like a wonderful and supportive person. Sad that you have lost her.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Beautiful BEAUTIFUL post. You had me on every word.... I hope you publish that somewhere.

As a mom of 2 boys, I hope that I can do something so simple like buy them shoes and it means the world to them.

Beautiful.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. What a nice way to remember her.
    Thank you for sharing.
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your shoes also.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Love this!!