Breast feeding and weight loss is hard

Options
2»

Replies

• SnailyPie
    SnailyPie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm EBF my 4 month old and have only lost 5 pounds since her birth. I'm starting to stress about it because I read that you lose the most weight between 3 and 6 months post partum. I'd love to friend other breastfeeding moms for support. I'm finding it hard to cut calories for fear of diminishing supply. I'm 15 pounds from pre pregnancy weight.
  • kimzy132124
    kimzy132124 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Add me :).
  • hhpaige
    hhpaige Posts: 4
    Options
    I BF my 7 month old (first baby) and still have 25 lbs to lose. I lost about 20 lbs in the first few weeks, but the last 25 are not budging. I feel fatter than ever. How many calories do you/should we allow for bfing? My baby doesn't eat any solids yet. She is just very committed to her milk :)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm EBF my 2 month old. I'm having pretty good success with weight loss so far. I only lost 10 pounds after he was born, so then I started back with MFP when he was a month old. I've lost another 14 pounds since then in only 5 weeks! I give myself 500 extra calories a day for nursing, though to be honest I often only eat 300 of them because I'm not hungry anymore. I exercise about 6 days a week and eat back half of those calories. I usually eat between 1800-2000 calories a day. My milk supply has been good too, which is my biggest concern.
  • hhpaige
    Options
    I exercise about 6 days a week and eat back half of those calories. I usually eat between 1800-2000 calories a day. My milk supply has been good too, which is my biggest concern.

Victoria, what do you do for exercise? What's the intensity and how long per session? Thanks for your post! Was very informative for me!

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    hhpaige wrote: »
    I exercise about 6 days a week and eat back half of those calories. I usually eat between 1800-2000 calories a day. My milk supply has been good too, which is my biggest concern.

Victoria, what do you do for exercise? What's the intensity and how long per session? Thanks for your post! Was very informative for me!

I do fitness blender work outs. They are free on youtube! I love them, lots of variety so I never get bored. They are mostly all HIIT style work outs. They are fairly intense depending on the work out I do that day. I usually average between 30-40 minutes.
  • CMillikan08
    CMillikan08 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a SAHM of a 6 month old who is EBF. I also care for an 8 month old and a 1 year old. I am having the hardest time losing the baby weight and I think for me it's partly bc of breastfeeding. I am hungry all the time but I have zero energy. Also the zero energy has made it very difficult to get a work out routine going. Before I got pregnant I lost about 40lbs strength training. Life got in the way and I started neglecting my workouts and gained a lot of it back. Then I got pregnant and gained the rest back. I am hoping this helps get me back on the right track but I don't want to sacrifice my supply either :(. What do you mommies do for workouts that's not too time consuming that is still effective with possible interruptions from little ones?
  • hhpaige
    Options
    I just started doing Stroller Strides this week. You can look online see if there's a group near you. I also do Jackie Warner or Gillian Micheals DVDs. They are mix-n-match so you can do one or more sections depending on what time you have/what areas you want to work. All the sections are 15-20 mins, so you can do, say, abs and total body or lower body and arms.
  • kimzy132124
    Options
    hhpaige wrote: »
    I BF my 7 month old (first baby) and still have 25 lbs to lose. I lost about 20 lbs in the first few weeks, but the last 25 are not budging. I feel fatter than ever. How many calories do you/should we allow for bfing? My baby doesn't eat any solids yet. She is just very committed to her milk :)

They say the average is 500 calories, but that was way too much for me. I did about 200 any less I saw a problem with my production. All I can say is try to remove 50 to 100 calories at a time and see what your supply does.
  • kimzy132124
    Options
    Hey all! I'm EBF my 2 month old. I'm having pretty good success with weight loss so far. I only lost 10 pounds after he was born, so then I started back with MFP when he was a month old. I've lost another 14 pounds since then in only 5 weeks! I give myself 500 extra calories a day for nursing, though to be honest I often only eat 300 of them because I'm not hungry anymore. I exercise about 6 days a week and eat back half of those calories. I usually eat between 1800-2000 calories a day. My milk supply has been good too, which is my biggest concern.

Hey I hVe 2 kids. Still breasted ding my second one and over the last two weeks I can't loose anything! I do cardio 4 times a week and weights 3 times a week... I just found out that I put on 6 lbs of muscle in 2 months... I keep hearing that you can't do both at the same time and I'm feeling like that now...
  • kimzy132124
    Options
    Hello, I am a SAHM of a 6 month old who is EBF. I also care for an 8 month old and a 1 year old. I am having the hardest time losing the baby weight and I think for me it's partly bc of breastfeeding. I am hungry all the time but I have zero energy. Also the zero energy has made it very difficult to get a work out routine going. Before I got pregnant I lost about 40lbs strength training. Life got in the way and I started neglecting my workouts and gained a lot of it back. Then I got pregnant and gained the rest back. I am hoping this helps get me back on the right track but I don't want to sacrifice my supply either :(. What do you mommies do for workouts that's not too time consuming that is still effective with possible interruptions from little ones?

I would suggest jump roping! Gets your heart rate up pretty quickly. 50 jumps 5 laps, 40 jumps, 4 laps, ect. I can't wait for the warm season so I can really take off with this routine on the days I'm not training. Last year this was my life saver
  • kimzy132124
    Options
    Oh yeah and then 3 min break and do it one or 2 more times :) it's fairly quick to do. You burn a pretty good amount of calories and if you end up having to take more breaks than I mentioned add another one or 2 reps. Eventually if this takes off add some variations for some
    Fun :) I just added the rope swing to mine. I still kinda suck but I'm getting there and after I'll be doing one legged jumps