When you don't want to cook what's your go to meal?

Options

Replies

• thepezzle
    thepezzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    +1 for a grocery store rotisserie chicken too.

I also like to get Chinese. The place near me has a great steamed triple crown with sauce on the side. It's chicken, beef, shrimp, mixed veggies w/ broccoli and rice. That + 2 tbsp of the brown sauce + 1 cup of rice + sriracha. It's lovely, hot, filling and I can usually stretch it for 3 meals.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If I go to a fast food restaurant, I get a kids meal. Wendy's has those half salads that are really good too.

At home I either throw whatever fruit and Greek yogurt I have into a smoothie, have peanut butter toast, salad, or eggs.
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds grilled chicken sweet chili premium wrap with a fruit n yogurt parfait. under 500 calories and YUMMY! and actually not all that bad for you
  • sparklingday
    sparklingday Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    some really great ideas in here... Thanks All!
  • Audrey24HisSuccessStory
    Options
    -Salad from Chiptole (ez on the beans/rice and extra veggies)
    -Garden of Life meal replacement formula (chocolate is best flavor)
    -low carb low sugar chocolate peanut butter almond milk smoothie ( 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, .5 cups of nonfat plain greek yogurt, 3 packets of stevia, 20 ice cubes, 1 tbs of natural peanut butter, and 1 envelope of swiss miss diet) sometimes i'll add 1 tbs of light whip cream from the tube

-3 hard boiled eggs (1 whole, 2 whites) with hot sauce
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I stop and get a rotisserie chicken and I usually have a stash of frozen veggies at home, viola quick dinner.
  • betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Some days I get lazy and just don’t feel like cooking, what meals are healthy in terms of restaurants that you like to eat?

Get 2 Chic-Fil-A Grilled Chicken Sandwiches and throw out the bun on the second one. Double-stack the chicken, lettuce and tomato. it's about 500 calories total and it's a great, fast, FULL, balanced dinner (protein, carbs, veggies).

wow! Great idea!!
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Usually I pick up salad and rotisserie chicken from the grocery store ( I dont eat the skin to save on calories). I try to have chicken breast on hand though at home as you can make those in the oven and it doesnt take very long and I eat that with the veggie steamers.

If I have to go out Grilled chicken Sandwitch from either McDonalds or Wendys. A lot of the restaurants have calorie counts on their websites too now so you can look them up really easily though I try to avoid the restaurants (unless I am having a mild cheat day) because the sodium contents are huge
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been getting a vegetarian cantina bowl from Taco Bell when I don't feel like cooking. It's high in sodium but it's satisfying and for fast food, tastes good.
    A Bob Evans garden omelet with broccoli instead of home fries is a nice meal also.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Rubios is my top pick if I must eat out due to lazy mom syndrome...lol

Their HealthMex burrito rocks!
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Costco Rotisserie Chicken. Can't beat it for $4.99. I get home, strip all the meat off the bones, use the bones, skin, etc to make broth, eat some of the meat with veggies, quinoa, etc. Use the rest of the meat in casserole. Good stuff.

I do this as well! Makes great chicken enchiladas and soups. I eat a portion of the chicken with steamed veggies on the side. I also use Chipotle for a dining out meal, in a bowl, no rice, extra beans, veggies, protein, cheese, salsa, and guacamole and I only eat 1/3 so I have it for leftovers.

At home, I always have fat free re-fried beans and low fat cheese. For a quick meal, I heat up the beans, melt cheese on top, and add salsa and a bit of fat-free Greek yogurt. Like the inside of a bean burrito without the tortilla. Quick, filling, and easy to make.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell - Vegetarian Cantina Bowl (sauce on the side), Black Bean Burrito, Nacho supreme - no meat/sour cream
    Chipotle - Vegetarian Salad - no sour cream, no/minimal cheese, 3 Soft Tacos - no meat
    Noodles & Co - Small Pasta Fresca
    Subway - (Haven't tried yet) Chopped Tuna salad

I'm hungry! :sad:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling lazy I generally have a sandwich wrap or maybe a frozen pizza or a bean burrito using canned refried beans. I rarely want to go out if I'm in a lazy mood. But when I want to eat out and be healthy I generally just order a grilled meat (fish, chicken breast, pork chop, small sirloin) and a couple of veggie sides.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Subway- 6in turkey with cheese and lettuce no dressing & baked chips
    Chipotle- 2 chicken tacos with lettuce and light cheese & chips with medium salsa (but only 1/4-1/2 the bag)

I don't like a lot of veggies so I eat kinda plain lol
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    For eating out my husband and I normally will go to Subway. I get a veggie sub without cheese and very little sauce. It's relatively low cal and low sodium without the cheese and the sauce. Other than that we tend to go to Swiss Chalet.. they have some great salads and my husband usually will go for the chicken dinner as that can be pretty good without the fries as a side.

We try not to go out to eat often as we are trying to keep with a strict budget. So if I don't feel like cooking and we stay at home I will usually make a big salad. I always have a big bowl with pre washed, pre cut salad greens in the fridge along with little containers filled with washed and cut up carrots, cucumbers, radishes, green peppers, mushrooms, etc so I just grab some of the salad greens, throw on some of the other veggies and it's a great salad and meal without much time. Sometimes we also take a bunch of those already cut up veggies with some low cal dip and just have veggies and dip for dinner.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I cannot speak to sodium. These are probably all sucky choices for that :)

I got the Chipotle Chicken Bowl last night for the first time since I have been tracking on MFP. Holy good gracious on the sodium when I tracked it. I got all 3 salsas - the pico / corn / hot red salsa because they had a ton of flavor without a ton of calories. Now I know why they are so flavorful! :noway: I think my bowl had nearly 3,000 mg of sodium in it!! Scale was up 2 pounds today, lol.

One of my 'go to' places when I'm traveling is PF Chang's. I love the spicy chicken w/ brown rice. BUT, order the chicken to be 'stock velveted' which means they cook it in chicken broth instead of cornstarch coating cooked in oil, AND I order the sauce on the side. I dip my fork in the sauce, and then grab a bit of chicken and it's a very flavorful meal for fractions of the calories. It doesn't look as good - chicken breast cooked in chicken broth isn't that appetizing looking, but it tastes good!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some days I get lazy and just don’t feel like cooking, what meals are healthy in terms of restaurants that you like to eat?

Get 2 Chic-Fil-A Grilled Chicken Sandwiches and throw out the bun on the second one. Double-stack the chicken, lettuce and tomato. it's about 500 calories total and it's a great, fast, FULL, balanced dinner (protein, carbs, veggies).

A full balanced meal? Just how much lettuce and tomato do they put on their sandiwches??
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I'm in the mood for...

Panera poppyseed salad without chicken
    Veggie bowl from chipotle (brown rice, black beans, veggies, all salsas except hot, and extra lettuce)
    Veggie sandwich from Subway
    Small penne rosa with feta and tofu
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    If I don't feel like cooking, I'll heat up one of the Lean Cuisine's in my freezer or that Lean Pocket, way in the back, that probably has freezer burn.
    Other options are a bowl of cereal w/bananas and almond milk. That doesn't count as cooking, right? :tongue:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Other options are a bowl of cereal w/bananas and almond milk. That doesn't count as cooking, right? :tongue:
    :laugh: I have cereal for dinner too often because I don't feel like cooking after getting home from the gym. Not the best choice nutrient-wise though. :ohwell: