HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT but NOT quitting!!!

Options
Hello,

I recently came back on here 2 weeks ago.

My starting weight is 220 pounds, Female, 5'7" 44 years old.

I use to drink 4-6 (355ml each) of coke a day. I have cut back to a baby coke (222ml) or 1 1/2 coke a day (577ml) a day. Have done this for the whole 2 weeks. I am eating 1500 calories (usually landing at 1250-1350 a day) Only went over my calories once in the last week by about 50 calories. I don't eat my calories back (that is why I am at 1500 instead of 1200). I go on the treadmill 5 times a week at 3.5mph for half a hour.

Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day
Also today I am finishing a 7 day cleanse.

MY DISAPPOINTMENT:

The first week was great I lost 4.8 pounds (yes probably water)
The second week I didn't gain but I also didn't loose nothing I stayed exactly where I was last Monday. (my same weigh in routine) It didn't even change by . anything.

I was so disappointed because just the coke alone cut out of my system should be a drop.

IS my body in shock? What should I be thinking? What should I be doing? PLEASE anyone suggest anything.

OR just accept I didn't have a gain and move on? (don't really want to hear this :smile: )

Thank you to all that input responses

Replies

• Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    accept it and move on.. you already knew the answer. Your weight loss will vary every week, don't get discouraged. Keep making those healthy choices and your body will respond!

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nikki. It has only been two weeks. Give it time. Make sure you're being honest with yourself on food portions. Everything else will follow.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are being accurate with your food tracking, weighing and measuring everything even fruits and veggies for accurate calorie control. You know you are doing everything right and it will work...I also find that stepping on the scale more often helps me. It helps me see the fluctuation day to day so those ups, or maintains don't worry me as much!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    keep on, it will come off. If you have a calorie deficit, it will work.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Weightloss isn't linear - it's a funny thing. But keep at it, and be consistent, and you'll see results.

I lost 10 lbs my first month, and NOTHING the second month. But i kept at it, and over my first 52 weeks I lost 50 lbs.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    In 2 weeks you have lost almost 5 lbs. Way to go! Weight loss will not be linear.
    Did you take measurements as well?

Want to speed up the loss? Ditch the rest of the coke.
    Crank up at least one session on your tread mill-do intervals-faster walking for 1 minute then back to usual pace for 3 minutes. Repeat!
    On another day walk for 35 minutes. (increase by 5 minutes weekly until at 60 minutes)
    A different day play with the incline.

In 6 weeks start the couch to 5K routine.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I find that my body weight will drop, then plateau and/or increase a bit, then drop to a new low. I don't have a net loss each week, but over the course of a month I definitely lose weight. Give it a bit of time. Sometimes, though, I do decide that I need to make a change. For instance, I noticed a bloated feeling in my gut when eating rice. I didn't like that, so I switched out rice for quinoa. The rule is that I never eat less. I simply exchange a healthy/semi-healthy food for a healthier food that I like to eat. Later on, I decided I was eating too much quinoa, so I decided not to eat more than 1/3 cup of quinoa at dinner. Instead, I fill my belly with as many dry roasted veggies as I want (because I love them). Make a happy change in your life! Don't try to 'punish' your body for not losing weight as quickly as you want it too. Work with it and be patient! :smiley:

Oh, I'm 25, 6 feet tall, my starting weight was 207, and my current weight is 187. :wink:
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Here is another option. Consider yourself to have lost 4.8 pounds in 2 weeks. That is a respectable loss! I have weeks like that too. It helps me to average them with the preceding weeks. Also, I wonder if the cokes left you a little dehydrated, and you are actually better hydrated now? I'm sure someone else knows the answer to that. It just crossed my mind as a possibility.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Yay, for an almost 5lb loss!! And in less than two weeks :drinker:

Now settle down woman and get real. It took you some time to gain the weight your trying to shred, it will take just as much time to get it off. :grumble:

Dump that scale for two weeks, keep doing what your doing; logging, eating at mild deficit, and exercise, and before you know it, *poof you'll be dropping lbs again. :bigsmile:

P.S. Don't ever cleanse again, you have a liver and kidneys for that. All crazy cleanses do is waste money and upset the good bacteria in your body :flowerforyou:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    4.8 pounds in 2 weeks is an average of 2.4 pounds per week. That's faster than the recommended maximum for a highly obese large man.

Yes, in early weeks you might see a quick drop-off due to water weight. But after that, prepare yourself for fluctuations around a downward trend of ~1lb/week, give or take. And it won't show up on the scale each and every week. Some weeks you might see a gain. The important is the overall trend, not the individual data points.

"Cleanses" are silly pseudoscience and have absolutely no benefit other than making money for the people who market them. 8-10 glasses of water a day won't do you any harm but isn't necessary to lose weight either.

Just stick to the basics: Make sure you're logging your food as accurately as you can, eat under your calorie goal, and set up your expectations for slow and steady weight loss.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    D_squareG wrote: »
    I agree with Nikki. It has only been two weeks. Give it time. Make sure you're being honest with yourself on food portions. Everything else will follow.

I third. Weight loss isn't linear and you won't have consistent losses every single week. Be consistent and give it time and the scale will respond.

Also, forget the cleanses! They are just nonsense and a complete waste of time and money. You have a liver and kidneys that cleanse your body just fine.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had periods like this ALL the time last year. ( when I lost weight pre-baby) Some weeks I would loose 2lbs..sometimes none. As long as I averaged 2-5 a month I was happy. You got this.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Be patient, you may not lose every week, especially if you are only weighing yourself weekly. Your weight can vary daily by +/- several pounds. Things that affect your weight are water, sodium, potassium, TOM, stress....etc. Personally, I weigh daily. Some days I gain, others I lose. I log them all. You can start to see trends. I will usually lose for 1-2 weeks then have 2 days where I'll gain a bit then start to lose again.

I had week where I lost a 1/2 pound, next day I was up 2 pounds followed by the following day being down 2 pounds. I still haven't figured out what caused it but it happens. The overall trend should be going down and yours is by a great amount. Great job.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Normal, normal, normal! :) As was stated above, weight loss isn't linear. And if you really want to talk yourself off the ledge, remind yourself that with your former eating habits, perhaps you would have actually gained in a week's time rather than simply showing the same weight/no loss. Just keep on keepin' on.
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I did forget to mention that I do weigh my foods to a T. I truely believe in that to be honest. Cutting out the coke 100% well I'm VERY proud of myself for cutting down to where I am. I'm a soda/pop addicted.

Yes I guess looking at it over a 2 week period is a better thought. Thanks.

Got the hint on the cleanse won't finish it today. Again thank you.

This post may have sounded dumb to some but the support I got helped a lot.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Weight loss should be looked at over a period of time, rather than day by day or week by week. You're doing fabulous - keep it up!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    My first month back I lost 6 pounds the first week (obviously a good bit of water weight in there).
    The next week I lost absolutely zero pounds.
    The next week I lost 3 pounds.
    And the next week I lost 1.2 pounds.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    As others have said, weight loss is not linear. I am aiming for 1# per week and that's almost exactly what I've averaged, but there have been times like December-into-January where I sat at the same weight for five weeks.