Used fitness clothing....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    depends on what it is. bras, underwear, socks, leggings, things like that - no.

jackets or loose tank tops, t shirts... stuff like that, sure.

i wear leggings and sports bras and tank tops/ t shirts to work out in. im not going to spend a fortune on new stuff for me to 'out grow' (in reverse LOL). ive bought a few new pairs of leggings/yoga pants recently, and sports bras. a lot of my tank tops were old t shirts that i never liked as t shirts, so cut them down into tanks to work out in. but, i dont spend a lot on clothes anyways, esp workout clothes lol
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i don't see a problem as long as it's not over stretched/worn and stained. i recently just bought a nike running jacket that would have normally been 40-60 dollars, for like 5 dollars at goodwill. if that's gross, then i'm disgusting lol

We have a high-end consignment shop here called Plato's Closet (they're a chain I believe), and I've bought a bunch of workout stuff there. Everything was in such good condition that it was hard to believe they were used. I even found a pair of Nike leggings with the tags still on, and they were only ten bucks!

I wash everything first before I wear it, but other than that I'm good to go. It doesn't skeeve me out, but then again I'm not very squeemish.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    i just don't think i'd buy used workout clothes via an online source, unless it was still in the package/with tags etc. i'd rather buy it in person so i can judge the durability & quality with my own eyes and decide to go through with the purchase

Don't forget smell
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i just don't think i'd buy used workout clothes via an online source, unless it was still in the package/with tags etc. i'd rather buy it in person so i can judge the durability & quality with my own eyes and decide to go through with the purchase

Don't forget smell

DEFINITELY an important factor as well hahaha
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

This is a good point, not to mention because it is used clothing - it is impossible to really decide on the proper size with just a picture of it on a website.

Personally, I like to buy brand new clothes in general, but workout clothes to me is like buying underwear.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    lizek316 wrote: »
    I buy used fitness clothes all the time.

These wonderful things called washers and dryers make them like new every time I use them.
    I would agree with this if it wasn't workout gear, but people sweat a TON when they workout. Odds are even with washing it a LOT, there are still going to be odors and possible sweat stains.
    Vinegar helps tremendously with this.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    i don't see a problem as long as it's not over stretched/worn and stained. i recently just bought a nike running jacket that would have normally been 40-60 dollars, for like 5 dollars at goodwill. if that's gross, then i'm disgusting lol

We have a high-end consignment shop here called Plato's Closet (they're a chain I believe), and I've bought a bunch of workout stuff there. Everything was in such good condition that it was hard to believe they were used. I even found a pair of Nike leggings with the tags still on, and they were only ten bucks!

I wash everything first before I wear it, but other than that I'm good to go. It doesn't skeeve me out, but then again I'm not very squeemish.

we had those in my area back in texas too! they do have quality thrift apparel, and they're usually pretty good about putting out clothes that are still in decent condition. def would buy workout clothes there.

same here, as long as there's no visible smell or stains, i'll wash it and wear it.

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    out4keeps wrote: »
    Hello fitness lovers. I need some honest feedback and I promise I will not get my feelings hurt. In February, I started a business selling used fitness clothing (currently only on-line) with the hope of a store opening this year. Well....so far zero sales!
    Is this a bad idea? What are your thoughts about buying used fitness clothing? Is this a big no, no? Thanks to everyone for the honest feedback and time.

Sounds good to me. I have lots of used sports clothing. Isn't a problem either because I have a washing machine.

Have bought some decent brand names in charity shops for under £10 with plenty of life in them. :) (Mainly t-shirts, couple of fleeces.)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I buy them to wear them out, so I buy new. I don't need any help wearing things out.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    i dont have a problem with buying used clothes at goodwill. i have purchased workout gear before as well. Hell 85% of my closet id from second hand stores. I always buy lightly used condition things (its actually really easy to tell) and wash before wearing.

BUt heck i clothed diapered my kids too. diapers were second hand and then resold to someone else when i was done with them!
  • out4keeps
    out4keeps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the support and feedback! Much needed and appreciated.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would buy it sight unseen like Seltzermint555 said. I would want to see the condition first. I have donated quite a bit to Goodwill though in the hopes that someone would get some use out of it. It is usually the stuff that I didn't like the fit or that I didn't wear much while I was losing weight.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :sick: No.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    out4keeps wrote: »
    Hello fitness lovers. I need some honest feedback and I promise I will not get my feelings hurt. In February, I started a business selling used fitness clothing (currently only on-line) with the hope of a store opening this year. Well....so far zero sales!
    Is this a bad idea? What are your thoughts about buying used fitness clothing? Is this a big no, no? Thanks to everyone for the honest feedback and time.

for ppl like me with tight budget it is not so bad. Your aim is college students and generally the working class.Search the market do some survey and PR.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I am thinking that if you market toward beginners, esp people who have weight to lose and don't want to spend oodles of money on clothing they will "reverse outgrow" you may be able to carve out a niche. I would recommend a guarantee of odor free, like new stuff etc. but give them a short window of time to return it if it's unsatisfactory...(like, within 24 hours of receipt, which is way more generous than Plato's Closet on some things - some things are all sales final).
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Lord no! I know what I do to mine and how I smell after most of my work outs and runs and heck no. When they have reached the point of no return I junk mine. So yeah it would be a no go for me. There are tons of outlets you can get new gear for really cheap prices.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I implore you to search out "confessions" and see how many people actually poop their pants and then reconsider.

And they don't all throw them away.

O_O
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sorry - no!!!

It's great that you're trying to make a go of your own business, but the number of people who talk about going commando when running/working out makes it totally unpalatable.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have bought used fitness clothing from the thrift shops and would buy again. Don't see the problem at all.
  • beautyqueen940
    beautyqueen940 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe if it was barely used fitness clothes then maybe you'd have sales.