I want to go to the Gym and this is the first time I'm going in my whole life, any tips?

Options
Hello guys!

As the title says, I finally decided that I want to go to the Gym. So, any tips that you have for me are more than welcome! Tell me a little bit about what did you do the first day of your Gym.
BTW, I don't want to lose weight just want to sculpt abs.

Thanks!

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    abs are a result of low body fat, achieved by a calorie deficit, which is 90% diet.

my first day at the gym i went at 5am when it opened because i wanted to use the squat rack in peace and quiet and not be self-conscious around strangers. and thus, 5am workouts were born.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Some tips:

- Go at a quiet time (avoid pre and post work rush hour if possible)
    - Go in with a plan so you have a good idea what you're going to do
    - Talk to the gym staff and ask for an orientation, let them know that you're fairly new to this and you might get a little lost. Hopefully they'll keep an eye on you
    - Just do it. It likely won't be anywhere near as scary as you think.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Strength training first then cardio! Make sure you do both
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    We need a little more info. Are you looking to lift weights, do cardio, a little of both? Take a class? Basic rules - don't talk to people in the middle of a set, wipe and reset your equipment when you're done.
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I took a class so that I wouldn't be completely lost on my own amidst all of the machines. I was certainly scared going in there the first time. Before long, I went from being in the back of the class to the front of the class and then onto instructing the class! You definitely will develop many relationships there. As far as using the equipment, I have to admit that I would just get on the treadmill at first so that I could check out what most people were doing on the machines. It was a good bird's eye view. That way, I wouldn't look like a complete fool when I decided to start using them. Good luck. I am jealous :)
  • silviaG07
    silviaG07 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! Well, I just had no idea what I'm going to do when I get to the Gym, it's like I want to have abs but I don't know how to get them or what to do?
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I started going to some classes and then got a trainer. If you are unsure of the equipment see if your gym does a free training session for the first timers. That way you will get to know how to use the equipment.

One thing personally I had to realize...no one is looking at me. I felt like everyone was thinking "what is that fat girl doing in this place...who does she think she is?" I realized the more I went the more one one is really paying me any mind they are busy doing their own stuff.

Enjoy!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Do you have any idea what your body fat percentage is? The key to having abs is having a reasonable amount of muscle mass at a lower body fat percentage. What that percentage is will differ from person to person based on genetics and where you carry and store fat.

What's your height and weight?

You're probably going to need to look at lifting heavy weights at either either a small deficit, maintenance or a small surplus
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Most people at the gym are friendly. However, there are some basic etiquette rules that you should follow:
    1) Use the equipment correctly
    2) put it away when your done
    3) If possible wipe off the equipment (most gyms supply towels and cleaning solution)
    4) Try to use normal courtesy, which will help you to make gym friends
    5) Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to staff or other members. You can learn a lot if you are willing to make the first move.
    Good luck!
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Take a towel, don't monopolise equipment, get some instruction from a professional on how to do exercises with proper form, and get a program to suit your goals, lifestyle and body.

Be consistent in your attendance.

Have a broad range of goals beyond 'just sculpting abs,' which is really, particularly for a woman, incredibly hard and dependent on a multitude of factors including training, diet, stress, hormones, etc etc etc.

Focus on long term attendance for results and don't get disheartened after a few weeks if you aren't seeing things change just yet.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Have a plan and study your workouts before performing them. Understand which body parts your using with each exercise.. Learn proper form for each exercise. The same goes for abs. However, your going to have to drop your body fat to make them appear sculpted depending on how much you've actually built them up.