Fat Free Milk vs Almond Milk

Options
SammySweets15
SammySweets15 Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm thinking of converting. I always drank Fat Free Milk and now I'm thinking of switching it up to Almond Milk because it has way less sodium, calories, and cholesterol. Has anyone made this change?

Replies

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I hate the taste of regular milk. That is basically why I started to drink it. I will say it is really yummy. They have chocolate and "holiday nogg" during the holidays.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Unless you have problems with blood pressure and/or cholesterol, I'm not sure I'd worry about how much sodium and cholesterol I eat. I am, of course, not your doctor. And the reduction in calories is at the expense of protein, which you may or or may not care about.

That said, milk and I frequently do not get along well. I tend not to drink either variety.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk really, but I use 30 calorie vanilla almond milk in my breakfast smoothie everyday. I rarely have cereal anymore but if I do, almond milk is good. It's only a few calorie s less than skim but it all adds up.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i recently converted as i was having eczema flare ups ..love the taste of almond milk and almond butter.. given up most dairy products now to see if it helps the eczema ..so far so good
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I hate the taste of regular milk. That is basically why I started to drink it. I will say it is really yummy. They have chocolate and "holiday nogg" during the holidays.

Me too! I was dairy intolerant for awhile (couldn't even eat lactose free things) so I got into drinking soy, rice, and almond milk. Now I can't stand the taste and won't drink it even though I can.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, I converted mostly for the taste (though either way I don't have it often in large enough quantities to really "taste") but also since dairy and I don't get along in larger doses I use it in cooking/baking almost exclusively. I love using the unsweetened vanilla in oatmeal YUM.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I did switch to almond milk for a while.
    I only used it in smoothies. I tried it on cereal and even right out of the fridge it always seemed tepid. I can't stand milk that's not extremely cold on my cereal and for whatever reason almond milk just does not register as COLD by my senses.
    I liked the calories, but skim is cheaper and more convenient and most importantly to me, it seems cold from the fridge like it should.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Dairy milk makes my stomach feel like a small alien is trying to break free. I switched to soy but the recently switched to unsweetened almond. The almond has almost no sugar, which I watch, and I prefer the taste to unsweetened soy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Drink what you like and what fits your macros. I like low fat dairy as a source of protein and don't really like commercial almond milk, although I might try making some if I start drinking protein shakes again, as I think it would be a nicer mixer than water. But I've never had lactose issues and find that dairy makes me feel good and is about the perfect easy pre-workout food for me.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    dairy milk is gross so yes almond milk will be a big improvement mmmmmmmm chocolate almond milk
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cow and goat milk is gross and I am lactose intolerant. Coconut milk works for me.
  • SammySweets15
    SammySweets15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat less sodium and I'm a little lactose intolerant if that makes sense. It depends on how much I drink. So converting does seem like a good idea. Appreciate everyone's positive input. Thanks. :)
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I like the coconut/almond combo. Gives it just a hint of sweet.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I like the taste better. The fact that it's less calories is just an added bonus.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I prefer milk. I tried almond milk and sorry that stuff just nasty. Rather danced naked in acid rain then drink any sort of nut milk again.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it once for the lower calories, but it doesn't have the amount of protein normal milk has. For me that's my most important macro. So I stay with normal milk.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. I am not a huge fan of fat free milk - I don't like the taste and it makes my face breakout, even when I had organic. While I typically use almond milk in my morning smoothie, I could most definitely drink it by the glassful - I could never say that about milk - even as a kid it made me gag.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    We only drink Almond or Cashew milk in my house.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    They're both fractionated foods unless you make your own almond milk at home. Do not fear the cholesterol...whole raw milk baby!