What's your way to make weight loss successful?

Options
2»

Replies

• ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    - weigh everything & pre-portion
    - snack snack snack
    - I eat very healthy but I don't completely alienate myself from my family by eating seperate meals. If my husband cooks, I eat and enjoy it
    - I reward myself on the weekends, by going easy on the counting and micromanaging of what I eat, it gives me something to look forward too (I compensate with double workouts Saturday mornings)
    - WATER WATER WATER (8-10 glasses) and I dont go anywhere NEAR soda or fitness drinks
  • Bloomboom
    Bloomboom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    - get plenty of exercise so that I can eat more and accomplish the same goals...
    - be consistent
    - tortoise and the hare...slow and steady wins the race
    - recognize that I"m never going to be 100% perfect and recognizing that having a bad day doesn't mean I need to "start over"...it means I had a bad day and tomorrow is a new one and in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant so long as I'm otherwise being consistent.

Lots of great advice for me in this post! Without a doubt, I am the tortoise in my journey....that's for sure. I can over complicate this, better than most; however, your comment about "not having to start over" really sunk in for me. Thanks for that!
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I plan my 5-6 meals/day in advance around organic raw least processed food 40/40/20 rule. I log on my food intake on myfitness app everyday except weekends. As for exercise, 30 minutes cardio 3-4x/week, yoga and meditation.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just one word: CONSISTENCY.

Most people fail in weight loss because they are inconsistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This

I would add having a plan at some point when you know you will be "maintaining" weight.

Exercise is important. You can lose weight without it - but muscle mass will definitely come off because deficits don't just reduce fat - you will reduce muscle as well.

Exercise, eat good wholesome foods, be consistent, and be accountable. You do those four things - in a year - you will be amazed at the results.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it's within my calories. If I really crave something I make it fit.
    I weigh, measure, and log everything.
    I try not to indulge in guilt if I have a bad day.
    Do whatever works for you as long as your in the correct calorie deficit, but try to eat in a way that you can see your self doing for the long haul. If your restricting too much I think it's a receipe for failure after awhile.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Drink Plenty of water and Consistently log your food.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    -Recognizing that there is no end to this. This is forever.[/quote]
    that's a powerful statement!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Enjoy my food. There are days I feel like eating polenta with shrimp, onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. There are days that I want a McDonald's cheeseburger or Popeye's fried chicken. As long as I fit my calories and macros, I don't let myself stress over either.

Eat my calories. I've had people tell me that I "need" to drink fruit juice with my breakfast or that I "need" green shakes or protein shakes. Nope. I need to savor the taste and texture of my food as I chew it. When I drink my calories, I am sad because it's over too quickly.

Weigh and measure mostly everything. I've gotten to the point where I can guesstimate the proper amount of mustard and ketchup on a hot dog to make a teaspoon or a tablespoon. Every so often, even if I can eyeball them, I measure again to make certain my guesstimates are staying fairly accurate.

Make my exercise practical instead of habitual. I can't handle going to the gym on a regular basis. I find it boring, which I might not if I took classes or had a workout buddy. I compensate by taking my dogs for walks or doing yardwork or cutting brush for my goats to eat--things like that, which I find useful. Someday I'll find heavy lifting more entertaining, but right now, that's the best place for me to be. I am going to try to get a membership to Anytime Fitness, but not to do heavy lifting.

Avoid letting people dictate what I want or need to eat. Going back up to the eating calories example, I've also had people tell me that I "need" to stop eating one thing or another because it's unhealthy. Then they trot out Mercola or PCRM and it's all I can do to avoid hurting myself rolling my eyes. When I mentioned using artificial sweetener to someone, she suggested stevia and so on--and when I said I disliked stevia, she stated she was just "trying to help [me] find healthy solutions" to my sweetener use. I thanked her for her concern, but said there was no problem, so no solution was necessary. My body--my responsibility.

Be honest. If I go over my calories or have an otherwise "bad eating day," I log it. Once in a while I have a day during which I have no dinners listed. 99.9% of the time, I really didn't eat dinner. Then there are the occasional days upon which I've already exceeded my calories to the point that I just shrug and wonder why bother any longer. Those days are few and far between, but they exist--and part two of this rule is to not beat myself up when I'm not honest with MFP but honest with myself that the day is just better left behind for a fresh start in the morning.

Very thoughtful, well written response. I very much like this!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If I get bored, try something else.
    If I gain weight troubleshoot, brainstorm, and try something else.
    Food is life, food is lovely; honor it.
    Change one habit at a time; not all habits all at once.
    If I am full, stop.
    Eat a variety and get enough protein.
    If I am eating for a reason other than hunger, take some time to evaluate and take care of the underlyling need.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This is it for me: maintain a reasonable calorie deficit.

And here are the things that make it easier for me to maintain that deficit:
    • Focus on eating things that are filling and leave me satisfied longer. For me, that's protein and fat. This cuts down on hunger, which means it's easier for me to stay within my deficit.
    • Break up my eating into small meals/snacks throughout the day. I don't enjoy going for long periods of time, and then eating 2-3 large meals. I prefer eating something every 2 hours or so.
    • Eat foods I enjoy. No exclusions when it comes to foods or food groups, except ones that are necessary for health (for me, gluten). Less restrictive = more likely to be able to stick to it.