What IS the Healthy Substitute for Sugar?

Options
13»

Replies

• gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Sweetener in tea and coffee...none. I use sugar when baking and just control the portions consumed. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    i use alot of honey coconut sugar and maple syrup. now i do also sometimes use sugar. u wont save much as far as calories go i just prefer them. to each theyre own. if ur looking for something less processed then sugar maple syrup and honey are good options

So you replace sugar with sugar?

i was thinking the same thing...
  • noxnoctis
    noxnoctis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok. The problem with sugar is that the food industry added it to everything over the last few decades because they removed fat from everything. Do yourself a favor, only consume it in its natural state, from fruit and veggies.

Good luck with kicking your addiction. Anyone telling you its not addictive is just fos.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    noxnoctis wrote: »
    Ok. The problem with sugar is that the food industry added it to everything over the last few decades because they removed fat from everything. Do yourself a favor, only consume it in its natural state, from fruit and veggies.

Good luck with kicking your addiction. Anyone telling you its not addictive is just fos.

Strong first post. I had to go back and reread the OP to make sure, but nowhere does she claim she's an addict. I'm not going to broach that topic because the arguments it causes just wear me out, tbh, but you shouldn't label her as having an addiction when she hasn't said it first.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I either do regular sugar or agave.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    sugar- brown, powdered or just plain granulated.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a plant based sweetner...not bad for u at all :-)

sugar is a plant based sweetener...just sayin'...sugar if fine for most people in appropriate amounts.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If I am not using sugar in baking I usually use maple syrup. Honey is also common but I am not a big fan of honey and neither is my four year old so I do not use it much.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Evaporated Cane Juice ;)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Less sugar? I tend to stick to natural sweeteners because the artificial ones (along with stevia and agave) leave a really crappy aftertaste.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Organic honey and maple syrup are great sweeteners. Stevia is also fantastic and zero calorie, however you really have to make sure it is pure and not processed.

Always reach for real sugar before reaching for fake, low calorie, processed junk. If you have health concerns regarding sugar, talk to your doctor.