Up my weights?

Options
cdcruizer05
cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been using 8lb weights since i've started workouts which has been solidly for about a year. I'm thinking i am ready to up my weights to around 15lbs. Should i make that big of a jump or go to 10lbs weights?

Thanks,
Chad

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    With these 8 lb dbs, what exercises have you been doing with them?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    totally depends what you are doing and what your goals are.
    You are most likely doing many reps with these, which burns calories but does little to build muscle.
    Let us know what you are trying to do and we can give you a specific answer
  • cdcruizer05
    Options
    I work out to a Biggerst Loser DVD. Triceps, biceps, chest presses, back presses (on a stability ball) lateral rays...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yea, man its time to up the weights…

do you have access to a gym you can join?
  • cdcruizer05
    edited March 2015
    Options
    totally depends what you are doing and what your goals are.
    You are most likely doing many reps with these, which burns calories but does little to build muscle.
    Let us know what you are trying to do and we can give you a specific answer

Well i have the big flabby type of arms, i know i'll have lots of loose skin once i'm done. But i want to tone my arms as much as possible and look proportionate to my body once i'm finished losing my weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    if you have access to a gym I would suggest getting on a structured program like strong lifts, starting strength, etc….

a lifting program + calorie deficit would help with the loose skin issue….

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Beginners can add weight to their workout every session or at least every week. Especially a young male such as yourself. Waiting a year to add weight is crazy. Get yourself some more weights and a program that includes weight progression.
  • rez2012
    rez2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You need to change your workout routine every two weeks at least...it keeps your body guessing otherwise it adapts.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you have access to a gym I would suggest getting on a structured program like strong lifts, starting strength, etc….

a lifting program + calorie deficit would help with the loose skin issue….

This. I was told I have a stupidly low metabolism and I could run until I pass out and still won't have a good calorie burn. I was told to find a lifting program at a gym from day one, you won't see the scales go down, but the inches will go down and you feel ALOT better mentally for it because you can feel yourself getting stronger.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    rez2012 wrote: »
    You need to change your workout routine every two weeks at least...it keeps your body guessing otherwise it adapts.

Lol no
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

This is the opposite of good advice.
  • ndj1979
    Options

LOL NO ...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Links for the outlandish claim?
  • rez2012
    Options
    Lol. Well I guess I don't know what I'm doing. Clearly you can see it didn't work for me.
  • yopeeps025
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lol. Well I guess I don't know what I'm doing. Clearly you can see it didn't work for me.

How to catch a predator? Well the team has to be full of predators right to catch another predator?

The way you look does not mean the information is still wrong or do you have links that claim to change workouts every two weeks?
  • ndj1979
    Options

because a picture on the internet is proof for your claims....OK
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Must think we some naive folks that believe one photo online.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No. You don't know what you're doing. Whether or not you got lucky is irrelevant.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Must think we some naive folks that believe one photo online.

I reverse imaged his picture and it comes up as some gym in orange county, but profile says he lives in Shalimar florida....hmmmmm???
  • rez2012
    Options
    I was a little vague on change. Im just saying changing your rest time, increasing sets, slowly bring down reps while increasing weight seems to be getting great results.

Private message me ndj1979 if you feel like I'm BS. I'll be happy to give you all the proof you need...but you won't and you'll probably continue to insult me.