are my measurements unhealhy?

Options
I'm 5'8 and my measurements are 37-29-40. is this bad? I want to lose 30lbs

Replies

• watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options

They're pretty close to mine--what do you mean bad? Too heavy or too light? (personally, I'd say neither) Why do you want to lose 30 pounds? (TBH, that seems like a lot). What are you trying to accomplish? Not much info here.

am I too heavy? I weigh 154lbs and I am 5'8. I want to get down to 135lbs
  • watermillion
    Options

They're pretty close to mine--what do you mean bad? Too heavy or too light? (personally, I'd say neither) Why do you want to lose 30 pounds? (TBH, that seems like a lot). What are you trying to accomplish? Not much info here.

Your BMI is 23.4, which is in the healthy range of 18.5-24.9. Going down to 135 would put you at 20.5, also a healthy weight. (if anyone's curious, this is the NIH calculator: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm)

But you should also consider what you're trying to accomplish with losing weight. Do you want to be healthier? Stronger? Fit into smaller pants? This is why I hesitate to call your measurements "bad". They are completely normal and healthy for a woman your height.

These answers would help you decide how to go about your weight loss. Personally, I've hovered between 155 and 135 regularly. I find that I'm happiest with my body when I've been combining diet with exercise. While losing the weight is primarily due to diet, the exercise helped me be happy with how my body looked when the weight was off.
    I want to be smaller and more fit. Also I'd like to have more muscle tone to my body.
  • watermillion
    Options

Your BMI is 23.4, which is in the healthy range of 18.5-24.9. Going down to 135 would put you at 20.5, also a healthy weight. (if anyone's curious, this is the NIH calculator: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm)

But you should also consider what you're trying to accomplish with losing weight. Do you want to be healthier? Stronger? Fit into smaller pants? This is why I hesitate to call your measurements "bad". They are completely normal and healthy for a woman your height.

These answers would help you decide how to go about your weight loss. Personally, I've hovered between 155 and 135 regularly. I find that I'm happiest with my body when I've been combining diet with exercise. While losing the weight is primarily due to diet, the exercise helped me be happy with how my body looked when the weight was off.
    I want to be smaller and more fit. Also I'd like to have more muscle tone to my body.

Then my suggestion would be to eat at a mild deficit and start an exercise program that involves a strength component. People will often suggest heavy lifting, which may be good for you. You can also try body weight exercises. Cardio will help your heart to be healthier, but cardio alone will probably not accomplish everything that you want to accomplish. Are you familiar with TDEE measurement? My suggestion is to try eating your TDEE minus 10-15% and start thinking about exercise programs.

I'm no expert, so people can feel free to chime in, but this is basically what I did recently to get down from 155 to 139. The thing is, even though I'm sure you want all the weight off now, you have to understand that it will come off slowly because you are already in a healthy weight range. You could rush it with crash dieting, but I don't think you'll be happy with all the lean muscle mass that you would lose.

Your advice was so helpful. I am on a diet right now and the weight is coming off really slow. I'm losing like 1-2lbs every other week.. I thought it was because my metabolism was slow. Im going to buy me a barbell and start focusing on lifting heavy weights.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No. Your waist is well within the healthy range, and your waist to hip and waist to height is in the healthy range.