Anyone have to consume MORE than 1,200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I was at about 1200 a day for a 2 pound a week loss but I was always starving, it just was way too little. I changed my goal to 1 a week and that bumped me to 1450 cals and I am perfect there. Fortunately, I do also still see more than 1 pound loss a week!
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    mfp has me at 1230 so, not too much more but still more than 1200.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 2000 to lose weight. 2500 to maintain.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600 + exercise calories. Yay for eating moar food!
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    I'm losing 1lb a week typically on a cut of around 2000-2200 cals a day.
    What do you do to work out???
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    2100-2400 or so, depending on my activity lvl for the week and I don't always eat my exercise calories back. Just started this. Was at 1600 per day with pretty much no activity and wasn't losing anything. I started working out a bit and changed my caloric intake higher, about 7 weeks ago. Still haven't lost lbs but have lost 6" in my waist and 2" in my hips in those 7 weeks.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    2000 to 2300 depending on workout :) and i love every single one of those calories!
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    Uhh, I average 1,700. Up towards 2,000 if I exercise. I tried losing weight on 1300 calories and I was so angry all the time. I upped gradually and dropped weight.
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, your body will go into starvation mode and start storing all the calories it can get as fat. Not healthy.

or possible in any way.

this^ lol
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Definately me! I've tried 1500 and I still can't do it. I get crabby, sluggish, tired, etc. I usually have to eat at least 1800 and up to 2100/day if I exercise...
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    The key here is to use the program properly. Your program may only say 1200 a day, but that is doing absolutely nothing in the way of exercise. You also have to enter all your activities. That means mowing the lawn, cleaning house, walking the dogs and any other form of exercise you may perform. This will add to your allowed calorie intake and is accounted for with MyFitnessPal. The idea is at the end of the day, to be in the Green with calories.

My example is this. One day I consumed 1900 calories but I recorded 800 calories of exercise, leaving me with a net intake of 1100 hundred calories. This means I was in the green by 100.

Of course the more you work out, the more nutrition and food you need and MyFitnessPal considers that for you. Just follow the program and it works.

Did you not clean the house before you used MFP then? I wouldn't count that as exercise if it's something you've always done.
  • cindy5761
    cindy5761 Posts: 28
    Options
    I ate 1400-1500 when I lost my weight.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lb eating an average of 2000 calories per day. I have been on maintenance for 7 months and still eat an average of 2000 calories per day. Sedentary maintenance for me would be 1600 - I just make sure I do 400-500 extra calories worth of exercise to allow me to eat 2000. If I want to lose, I do 500-600 calories of extra exercise. I found that my best weight loss (consistent and regular) was when I ate about 1500 calories a week (yes a week) less than I burned. A couple of times I dropped my calories and I stopped losing. So my experience has been that it's been best to keep my calories high (just below maintenance) and just walk and workout more.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie people post a lot because they have problems with losing weight. Eventually they stall or something happens/ hangry. This isn't to say some people should be eating only 1200 a day. Maybe they do, the ones who should eat more have the issues.
    I'm at 1980+ a day.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I'm losing 1lb a week typically on a cut of around 2000-2200 cals a day.
    What do you do to work out???

Weight train like a boss.
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    1,440 here
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Mine is set for a bit more than 1400. I would starve to death on 1200 cals. And I try to eat back most of my exercise cals.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    my daily goal BEFORE exercise is 1350. I usually end up eating between 1650 and 1750 with exercise.
  • ancutz
    ancutz Posts: 26
    Options
    1200 is way too low for an active person. I put mine at 1700 and I exercise 6 days per week. Sometimes I go over 1700, to around 2000.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I dropped down to 1200-1400 calories a day for a while. And plateaued for over two months before I got frustrated and increased my calories to 1500. Now I'm eating about 1900 calories a day to lose and I'm much happier for it.