I feel a little stupid for asking, but...

Options
I have 2 questions. #1 -

Why all of a sudden am I getting headaches during my cardio workout? Not enough water?

I just realized I had a whole online world of people here to ask, where in the world can I find spaghetti squash? I have googled it, but I must not be looking in the right place. I don't know where its grown, or when its in season. I searched last year for it, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I do get headaches when I don't drink enough water - cardio or not; dehydration can cause headaches. But that might not be your problem.

I have never had difficulties finding spaghetti squash, with all the other produce at my grocery store. It's with the other squashes, near the onions and potatoes.
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I get headaches during cardio too...i am interested to see the responses here:smile:
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Could be dehydration or an issue with your blood pressure. You also could be over doing it. Try slowing down a bit and see if that helps. On question 2. I have no idea.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Spagetti squash is with all the other produce :)
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The headaches, I have no idea except maybe what's already been mentioned. The spaghetti squash, I just get it in my produce section. Do you live in the U.S.?
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I get vicious headaches when I do very intense cardio. I've tried everything--water, salt, ibuprofen/aspirin/acetaminophen etc... nothing works. I often am aware of the headache while sleeping. I would love to know if anyone has ways of handling this--I mostly just try not to over exert myself.
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    Options
    spaghetti squash is a winter squash. Unlike zucchini which I can buy year round, I only find spaghetti squash during fall and winter. Sometimes it's placed near thanksgiving displays in grocery stores. Near the gourds and pumpkins.
  • successby50
    successby50 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For the headache issue, is your breathing relatively regular during your cardio? I had headaches during cardio too, and the woman who heads up the class taught me controlled breathing. That seems to have fixed it!

The squash can be found with the other winter vegetables. It will hold for a long time! It's much easier to find during the fall and winter.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but maybe you are dehydrated. Also, maybe your blood pressure raises from the intense cardio causing headaches? Drink lots of water and have proper warm up and cool down sessions. If it continues maybe see a doc :smile:
  • sparklingday
    sparklingday Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am in Kansas City, Missouri and we get spaghetti squash every year. Actually there may still be some in the grocery stores right now. But mostly it is a late fall/winter food. When all the other squashes are in season. If you have any CSA's in your area (Community Supported Agriculture farms) you might contact them and see if anyone in your area is growing them. In the grocery stores, they will be around with the other squashes and potatoes and onions.. Good luck. I like them for a change every now and then. They do actually make a pretty good substitute for regular spaghetti.
  • rmontpetit
    rmontpetit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For the headaches; I would suggest you to see your doctor. The only time i had that problem was because of high blood pressure. Not that i found out how to reduce it my head is fine.
    Squash: With other vegetable... find an employee in your grocery store they can help!
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have 2 questions. #1 -

Why all of a sudden am I getting headaches during my cardio workout? Not enough water?

I just realized I had a whole online world of people here to ask, where in the world can I find spaghetti squash? I have googled it, but I must not be looking in the right place. I don't know where its grown, or when its in season. I searched last year for it, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks for reading!

price chopper has it, don't know if there is one by you but i was there this past weekend i love accorn and pumpkin but they also had spaghetti squash
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    spagetti squash is a winter veggie. It can be found w/ the other squash in the produce area. I think some farmer's markets may be able to have it year round.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I used to get terrible headaches after intense cardio sessions. I thought it was dehydration so I drank tons of water.
    It still happened. Someone suggested that I eat more protein. I upped my protein intake and I've yet to get another workout related headache since.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Lack of oxygen to the brain from overexertion could cause headaches, as well as increased blood pressure. If you are concerned you should see if your doctor can arrange an exercise stress test for you to find out whether or not you have an underlying medical condition.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking about the spaghetti squash during cardio? That may be giving you the headache. Otherwise, I am clueless.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    For the headaches from the Mayo Clinic:

Primary exercise headaches
    The exact cause of primary exercise headaches is unknown. One theory is that strenuous exercise dilates blood vessels inside the skull.

Secondary exercise headaches
    Secondary exercise headaches are caused by an underlying problem, such as:

Bleeding in the area between the brain and the thin membranes that cover the brain (subarachnoid hemorrhage)
    Abnormalities in a blood vessel leading to or within the brain
    Cancerous or noncancerous tumors
    Obstruction of cerebrospinal fluid flow
    Reduced blood flow in the arteries feeding the heart
    Sinus infection
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Common causes of headaches during cardio could be not enough water, too few calories to properly fuel the workout, lacking in a specific nutritient, or not enough sleep. PMS or TOM can also cause it. There are many other things it could be, but those are pretty common.

Spaghetti squash is a winter squash. I can find it at my grocery year round but since it's Spring here, it won't be local this time of year.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I get spaghetti squash all year long in the produce section of pretty much any of the grocery stores around me. I eat it a lot.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I always got splitting headaches doing a lot of pushups. Then I realized I wasn't breathing while I was doing the pushups. Once my body quit b*tching at me about not getting enough oxygen I was fine. Hypoxia or dehydration would be my first two guesses. If more water/working on breathing don't help, I'd suggest seeing a doctor.