can't even do a full sit up

Options
Can't do a full sit up never have been able to how can I get my stomach muscles stronger so that I can

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    do crunches.
    do isometric holds.
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of sit ups, I've seen too many neck injuries from them. I get a lot of ab work with pushups and planks as well as general lifting.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights, use compound lifts, particularly squats and you will get there, worked for me. Went from struggling to do crunches to doing full sit-ups using this method
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do crunches over sit ups anyway, as I can control the way I use my stomach muscles to lift my body up and down better. As for strengthening your core to get that far, try planks (start on elbows and knees, progress to elbows and toes, then move to full on hands and toes). By the time you lick that you should be crunching like a pro :smiley:
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of better core exercises than sit ups. And lots of variety depending on what you enjoy. Compund lifts are great. Or if you prefer bodyweight stuff, try things like electors, crunches, mountain climbers and planks. The easier they get to do, the more complex you can make them.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Crunches

BICYCLE CRUNCH

Lie on your back with your hands behind your head, and your legs raised and bent at 90 degrees. Alternate sides by bringing your right elbow towards your left knee then your left elbow towards your right knee, building up to 60 seconds. Try and hold the crunch for a two-count on each side to force a slower, concentrated movement.

Abs aren't just about sit-ups and crunches. One of their primary functions is anti-extension, or stabilizing the core against its own force, external forces, and even gravity. The basic plank can become easy quickly. To increase the difficulty, progress first to single-arm and single-leg versions, and then to moving planks.

http://greatist.com/fitness/perfect-plank

SPIDERMAN PLANK CRUNCH
    Start in a traditional plank position with your forearms on the ground and your body perfectly straight. Bring your right knee forward towards your right elbow, then return to the plank position. Repeat by bringing your left knee toward your left elbow. That’s one rep. Alternate sides for a total of 10 complete reps.

Just some ideas I pulled off the internet to help you strengthen your core, I would consider doing compound lifts/heavy weight lifting if you really want to strengthen your core.