Sports Bra vs Normal Bra

Options
Hi, so I've ordered a sports bra for the first time.. and have heard a lot of good things about wearing them.
My question:

Is wearing a sports bra all day better than wearing a normal wired bra? In terms of preventing any sagging of the boobs.
Can someone tell me the pros and cons of doing so?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think I'd be pretty uncomfortable wearing a sports bra all day. I don't think you'll get a definitive answer on this, I doubt it's been looked at scientifically - you'd need one group of women to wear a normal bra everyday from puberty to old age, and another group to wear a sports bra everyday for the same time, then have some way of working out who naturally might have more or less saggy boobs, who has lost/gained a lot of weight, who's been pregnant etc.
    -
    It's probably not worth stressing out over. Wear a properly fitting bra everyday, a supportive sports bra for exercise, and do regular self checks. That's most likely enough for a healthy rack. Boobs are made of fat, breast tissue, skin and connective tissue, all of which naturally loosens over time and under the force of gravity. It'll happen to us all eventually, to greater or lesser degrees!

ETA: there have even been studies which suggest NOT wearing a bra is best for keeping them where they should be. I'm not in any rush to try this out, but I think it suggests there is no hard and fast rule for staving off sagging.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sports bras flatten you and hold you in so you can exercise without getting uncomfortable and putting undue strain on breast tissue

Normal bras support and give shape

My clothes would look crap over a sports bra, but great over a properly fitted bra

Time, weight and inevitability leads to sagging boobs I think
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just had to answer this. I'm 60 and every time I see my gyn she says that I have great breasts. I've always pretty much been a 36b and with 20lbs lost it hasn't effected size. I swim and do aqua-gym, so maybe that's why, besides watching that I get enough fats in my diet. Now, I have to admit that they're not the same as when I was 20, but for 60--pretty darn good. I love to wear sports bras. I find them more comfortable for doing housework, etc. If I need to put on something low-cut I wear a normal bra. I guess I just like more support, and I just bought a light weight sport bra. So, wear what you feel comfortable in, and just had to tell my experience. B)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I guess I just like more support, and I just bought a light weight sport bra. So, wear what you feel comfortable in, and just had to tell my experience. B)

This is a good point actually. Sports bras make me imagine the high-impact, difficult to get on, strap-'em-down-within-an-inch-of-their-life jobs. Sports bras designed for low impact stuff like yoga/pilates might be much more comfortable and realistic for everyday.

• alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A well fitted bra should make you look and feel good. You shouldnt need a sports bra for daily life.
    http://thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/bra-fitting.html?m=1
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. A sports bra is good for limiting movement, and to add some level of comfort when exercising, and a normal bra helps lift, shape, and support other times.

Then again, my big boobs have no hope of ever being "perky"... They are just too big for them to not sag, even though I'm still in my 20s lol. I think boobs will do what boobs will do, just wear what is comfortable for you.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Sports bras will give you uniboob - something that is typically frowned upon in day-to-day fashion. ;)
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I think you should have realistic expectations. If they are big, they will sag more and need more support. A lady above mentioned having breasts in good shape at 60... Well yes, but she said they are a B-cup. A lot of women haven't been a proper b-cup since they were 13! (A lot squeeze into a B when they should be a DD for example, but that's another story). My point is, no way is a DD cup or above going to look "perky". I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent the sagging of large breasts, but you can make them more comfortable and healthier with a properly fitted an supportive bra. The lightweight, low impact sports bra usually just don't offer enough support for large breasts, and the high-impact are usually too constrictive for daily wear.

TL;DR - it really depends on your breasts and your own preference, try things out, don't do anything uncomfortable or painful, and the single most important thing about bras is they should fit properly. The vast majority of women wear too large bands and too small cups. Fix that (if needed) and you're already ahead.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on the type of bra you're wearing. I have hardcore compression bras that I use for high impact workouts--these would not be very comfortable or flattering to wear all day. I also have some lighter duty sports bras that look more like a regular bra with just a little more support and durability--I have been known to wear these all day on days when I'm lazing around in yoga pants and a t-shirt.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It depends on how big you are and the type of sports bra you ordered. For me, I have to wear 2 heavy duty bras cuz well, "the ladies" need extra help, but as soon as I'm done working out, they have to come off. Though I have found some of the lightweight pullover bras comfortable on days when I don't want to wear a regular bra. There is no real support, but at least "the ladies" aren't hanging down to my navel.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Wonder what's your size OP? The difference between a sports bra and regular bra wouldn't even be a question for me. Although I have read of people who feel comfortable enough in their sports bra to wear it all day. The band size on mine is actually smaller than what I wear normally, really just straps down my whole chest! I would have breathing issues if I wore that all day LOL
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Sports bra is neither flattering or all that comfy.

As another poster mentioned, the intent for the sports bra is to flatten or compress the girls in place to minimize tearing of the muscles when they bounce without support. It is essentially the opposite of what a proper bra does ... which is to lift & define.

Sports bras serves one function and that is to keep the lovelys as still as possible while exercising.

Not something I'd personally wear outside of exercising.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^As I said above, I wear my sports bra daily, and find it comfortable. Some people are saying they're not sexy, well, when my husband saw the new lightweight black one I bought, he just said "wow, where'd you get that"? Case closed. B)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've been a D cup since 16, and at 45 still that, only the bandwidth has varied with my weight (not counting my preggers boobs). I would suggest going to a store that does proper fittings for you, then they bring you bunch of styles until your happy. During training I like the champion brand sports bra. And I sleep in a "sleep" bra. I might be just lucky, but for now the tissue is still firm. I've lost 50 total (19 since joining mfp) roughly 25 to go.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Sports bras will give you uniboob - something that is typically frowned upon in day-to-day fashion. ;)

Yeah, when I wear my usual sports bra I resemble the hull of the titanic. But I got this sports bra to wear to the gym and I love it. It actually FEELS good. It's the first bra that I'm not dying to rip off the moment I get in the door!

51buNVjpvYL._SR160,200_.jpg

amazon.com/Glamorise-Womens-Active-Comfort-Sport/dp/B007HJG830/ref=sr_1_37?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1425389056&sr=1-37&keywords=sports+brahttp://

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Yeah, when I wear my usual sports bra I resemble the hull of the titanic. But I got this sports bra to wear to the gym and I love it. It actually FEELS good. It's the first bra that I'm not dying to rip off the moment I get in the door!

amazon.com/Glamorise-Womens-Active-Comfort-Sport/dp/B007HJG830/ref=sr_1_37?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1425389056&sr=1-37&keywords=sports+brahttp://

This thread requires more posts like this, with photos!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That's my sports bra! (the crossover one in the picture... or at least one super similar). I love it. It's so comfy and does a reasonable job holding my Gs in place. (Sidenote: I'm limited to low impact activity so I don't know how it holds up to high impact stuff).

I would also note that my hubby thinks it's quite sexy... well... it might also be a possibility that he just thinks boobs are sexy. I'm convinced mine are half the reason he married me lol.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have high impact sports bras for sports/intense workouts. I have normal sports bras for light workouts, the barn (horses), and lazy day around the house. Then I have normal wired bras for work. And then I have push up wired bras for going out on the town ;)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

Ha!
  • snowflake954
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I have high impact sports bras for sports/intense workouts. I have normal sports bras for light workouts, the barn (horses), and lazy day around the house. Then I have normal wired bras for work. And then I have push up wired bras for going out on the town ;)

Amen sister! ;)