At what point does 2lbs a week become unrealistic?

Options
SilverRose89
SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys, first of all let me start by saying I do not make a habit of comparing myself to other people, especially not my weight loss or weight loss goals. But this is something that I keep wondering about, so figured I would ask!

I am 5ft6.5 and 190lbs. My start weight was 198lbs, so I've lost 8lbs so far. It is a loss of around 1lb per week, with a couple of weeks where I maintained which was expected.

I am aiming for 160lb which will put me just back into the 'healthy weight' range for my height.

Now, part of me feels that because I have another 30lbs to lose, and could realistically lose quite a bit more if I wanted to be lower in that 'healthy range', I could be losing quicker until I'm closer to my goal.

Now, I don't plan on doing it because MFP tells me I'd need to eat at 1200 a day for this to happen and having attempted that before, I know it's just not realistic for me. But I see others losing at 2lb a week even though they are closer to their goal than myself (and have started at a lower weight too, maybe up the high end of their 'healthy weight' and want to get to the lower end) and I guess I feel a bit disheartened sometimes, and feel I could be pushing myself a bit more.

Sorry, I'm rambling now and not sure I'm particularly explaining myself well. So TL;DR - At what point does a 2lb loss a week become too much? I see people saying it's 'as you become closer to your goal'. Does 30lbs away count as close to my goal? As it doesn't feel it! But I realise often people have way more to lose than me, so maybe I am just losing sight of that.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd say since you are within 30lbs of your goal, 2lbs/week is too aggressive NOW. 1lb/week until you get within 15lbs is realistic.

Weight loss isn't linear, it's all an average by the time you are done. I'd eat more and enjoy it so you don't give up frustrated.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Generally 2 lbs per week is recommended if you have 50 lbs or more to lose. I'd set it for 1 lb per week.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My goal is 6lbs a week (1 - 2 lbs a week).
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I mean 6lbs a month.. duh. I can not edit the above post... sorry
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you & had close to the same starting weight. I've lost about 23lbs. I set my goal at 2lbs a week with a 1200/day calorie goal. I was definitely losing 2lbs a week. I'm now losing around 1lb a week & I'm completely happy with that. Just take your time. I realized I was being discouraged when trying to lose 2lbs a week. Good luck! You'll get there! I now weigh 161 from 185.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is too much for most people. It may be quicker, but it's very hard to sustain long-term without slipping up. Could easily lead to binge eating when your body fights back and wants extra calories for proper fuel. Slow(er) and steady is the best bet in most cases unless otherwise recommended by a doctor.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that it is up to the individual. I am comfortable losing 2 pounds a week and plan to continue until I reach my goal. I don't go to bed hungry and wake up ready to face the day, but just because it works for me doesn't mean it would work for you. Do what is comfortable and reach your goal, rather than be uncomfortable and fall off the wagon.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It would be impossible for me as I was lighter to start with (147.5 starting weight at 5'4"). I've lost 8lbs since 5th January (now just under 140) so I've lost just under 1lb per week, but I've been working out daily, burning off at least 450 calories per day and eating an average of 1350-1450 per day in total.

I order for me to lose 2lbs per week, I'd have to eat about 900 calories per day maximum. I've done that before (at one point I ate 850 per day and lost about 25lbs in the space of around 3 months). I did light exercise at that time because that's all I could manage as I was lacking in energy and as soon as I'd dropped the weight and went back to eating more (even a little more) the weight started to come back on.

I remember just after that going up to about 1000-1100 calories and walking for at least an hour every day and I kept it off for a while but there was no room for movement ie. I couldn't have a day off or a few alcoholic drinks etc. and before I knew it I had given in to cravings and was binge eating and back up to 147lbs again. It was too hard watching others eat a lot more and when I went out shopping there were too many temptations.

Now I am losing a lot more slowly but I don't go hungry, can fuel my workouts well enough and I'm losing enough to see the scale go down every week or 2 weeks. I am now 22lbs from my goal, so my weight loss might slow down as I get closer to goal. I usually allow myself treats, save up my calories for one main meal when I know I am going out to restaurants so I can eat what I want and don't have to feel deprived.

It's sustainable like this at my current weight but there's no way I'd go back to lower calories just to lose more quickly, though I know it would work.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I only had 30-40lbs to lose and lost around 25 in about 13wks. It can happen. And I ate over 1200. I think it also depends on how active you are and how much muscle you are maintaining. I slowed down after the 25lb loss, and gradually lost the rest over another 3-4 mos.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how close to your goal you are. My goal weight is 208, so 2 lbs per week is less than 1% of my weight and won't be unrealistic, even when I reach my goal weight. On the other hand, for someone near 100 lbs, 2 lbs per week would be closer to 2% of their weight and much harder to accomplish.
  • SilverRose89
    Options
    Ah, thanks guys! See THIS is why I love this community. :flowerforyou:

I guess I just needed a bit of reassurance that I'm doing fine and not being super lazy about it all. I know for a fact that if I push myself too hard I will give up as history shows me that.
    I only had 30-40lbs to lose and lost around 25 in about 13wks. It can happen. And I ate over 1200. I think it also depends on how active you are and how much muscle you are maintaining. I slowed down after the 25lb loss, and gradually lost the rest over another 3-4 mos.

If left to my own devices, I am the least active person ever, but I am actually working out 3-4 times a week at the moment, and enjoying it. I'm just in the process of adding some lifting into the mix too, I doubt I have much muscle to maintain, but that's probably all the more reason to maintain it!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I only had aboout 18 pounds to lose, I'm 5'6, started at 148, goal of 130. I'm comfortable eating 1200 cals a week, and I have bee consistently meeting my cal goals every week. I just finished 8 weeks, and I have lost 10 pounds, so about 1.2 pounds a week, though I have 2-3 week periods where I lose nothing. I'm cool with my progress. Wheni take my measurements into consideration, I'm realizing I may have less to lose than previously thought- they match the measurements I had when I last weighed 127, suggesting 10 pounds of muscle gain to me. With only 18 pounds, I thought 2 pounds would just be too step and set me up for failure. I'd rather have a smaller goal that I'm able to stay on track with.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A few thoughts:

make sure you check the 1200 calculation, MFP bottoms out there (even if that does not create the deficit to actually give you a 2lb/week loss) so if you are going to eat at that goal it might not acutally be a 2lb per week loss, just so you have accurate expectations.

My rule is do what works for you. I am happy at the 1/lb per week loss rate, some weeks i get up to 1.5, but I have a tough time being happy at 2 lbs/week. (I am about 10 lbs heavier than you right now and have a similar goal weight). I definitely want to reach my goal eventually, but you know in the mean time I am working full time, taking masters courses, and trying to improve my fitness level, so I also need to make sure I take care of myself to succeed in all that. Weight loss is a thing for me, but its not EVERYTHING to me. Just another way to look at it....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    A very very general guideline that certainly has exceptions, would be .5 to 1% change in bodyweight per week.

But that's really a secondary question.

The primary question is:

What do I have to do with my training and diet in order to sustain a 2lb/week weight loss?

Followed by:

Can I adhere to that?

For most people the answer is that you have to bring calories really low and bring activity up quite a bit and it's an awful scenario that you won't adhere to.

Also, I would challenge your claim that you see lots of people losing 2/week who have less to lose than you do. That's quite rare if you are referring to steady, weekly losses. I'd also like to see how those people are doing weeks or months from now.

Here's are some great questions I think you should ask yourself right now:

1) Am I losing weight somewhat regularly over time?
    2) Am I forming good habits around food and exercise that I can adhere to for a very long time or does this feel like a stressful diet that will one day be "over"?
    3) Do I have enough energy to function and to perform adequately in the gym?

^ This stuff is important. It's WAAAAAY more important than whether or not you are losing .5 lbs per week or 2lbs per week.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and started at 206 lbs. I'm now 174 lbs. I have about 27 more pounds to lose but I've never lost 2 lbs a week. NEVER. The most is 6 lbs a month for me. I often wonder how other people are losing 2 lbs a week but as long as I'm losing I'm happy.
  • SilverRose89
    Options
    A few thoughts:

make sure you check the 1200 calculation, MFP bottoms out there (even if that does not create the deficit to actually give you a 2lb/week loss) so if you are going to eat at that goal it might not acutally be a 2lb per week loss, just so you have accurate expectations.

My rule is do what works for you. I am happy at the 1/lb per week loss rate, some weeks i get up to 1.5, but I have a tough time being happy at 2 lbs/week. (I am about 10 lbs heavier than you right now and have a similar goal weight). I definitely want to reach my goal eventually, but you know in the mean time I am working full time, taking masters courses, and trying to improve my fitness level, so I also need to make sure I take care of myself to succeed in all that. Weight loss is a thing for me, but its not EVERYTHING to me. Just another way to look at it....

Ah thank you for that!

I just double checked what MFP says if I set it to 2lbs a week and it says 1200 per day for a loss of 1.7lbs a week. So, actually, for 2lbs it would need to be even lower. Which to me right now would be completely unrealistic.

My thoughts on whether I'm happy with this rate of loss change on a daily basis to be honest. Some days I think it's great I've lost this weight and other days I beat myself up because last year I lost 17lbs but put it back on so had to start again. Everytime I see a loss my brain says "yeah but it doesn't count because you're only losing again what you already lost before" :neutral_face: (I know, I know, stupid brain.).

But yeah, I am happy on these calories and eating back some exercise calories too. It's working well for me, so I don't plan on changing it.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    From all the long term maintainers I have spoken with (and my own experience) the whole 2 lbs per wk will not be an issue the closer you get to your goal.

In the first month I lost 10 lbs right off the bat, then it settled to be more like 1-2ish per.

It will naturally & gradually slow down ... sometimes to a crawl the closer to goal. It is not uncommon to lose FRACTIONS of a lb the last few weeks to goal.

Why? Because you have less weight to lose at that point so I don't think this is something to fret over or be too overly concerned.

This is also something that I never paid attention to, as long as I had progress I was a pretty happy camper.

Best of luck to you!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Ah thank you for that!

I just double checked what MFP says if I set it to 2lbs a week and it says 1200 per day for a loss of 1.7lbs a week. So, actually, for 2lbs it would need to be even lower. Which to me right now would be completely unrealistic.

My thoughts on whether I'm happy with this rate of loss change on a daily basis to be honest. Some days I think it's great I've lost this weight and other days I beat myself up because last year I lost 17lbs but put it back on so had to start again. Everytime I see a loss my brain says "yeah but it doesn't count because you're only losing again what you already lost before" :neutral_face: (I know, I know, stupid brain.).

But yeah, I am happy on these calories and eating back some exercise calories too. It's working well for me, so I don't plan on changing it.

It happens. I regained a couple lbs over my break and am having to relose them. I got super slopy and lazy and I know it. The good news is I learned alot the last time around so got right back into it. My first round of this it took me months to even learn how to eat right and lose at all, so thats something....

Just try to focus on the here and now, you can't change what you did but you can change what you are doing.

• Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

1) Am I losing weight somewhat regularly over time?
    2) Am I forming good habits around food and exercise that I can adhere to for a very long time or does this feel like a stressful diet that will one day be "over"?
    3) Do I have enough energy to function and to perform adequately in the gym?

^ This stuff is important. It's WAAAAAY more important than whether or not you are losing .5 lbs per week or 2lbs per week.

^ Well said.

There comes a time in everyone's life when they have to face up to the fact: If you can't live with your plan, then your plan will fail. It doesn't really matter how many pounds a week you lose, only that you are getting healthier, and stronger. Be smart about it, and fuel your body with an eye toward sustainability.

• Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Its definatly easier to lose weight when you have more of it. Your body want to keep the extra weight so it going to fight you. Take any win you can and theres no need yo compair yourself with others.