Vacation Grocery Shopping Ideas!

Options
jqh23
jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
4 adults & 2 kids on a week long vacation on the beach. We will be eating at least half our dinners at the condo and 80% of our breakfasts and lunches there - including snacks and things to bring to Disney World!

There is no grill available, but otherwise the condo is totally stocked with cooking and baking equipment. That includes a crockpot, which we plan to utilize once or twice on days we will be gone all morning/afternoon but will want to come home to a prepared dinner.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Personally, for me it would be pretty much the same stuff I cook/eat at home...

eggs are a staple of my breakfast...I have two per day. I indulge in a little bacon a couple times per week...if I was on vacation, I'd most definitely be fitting it in there. Fresh fruit and lots of veg. Use the broiler in the oven in lieu of the grill to cook up your lean proteins. Nuts, trail mix, etc are great snacks on the go.

It really shouldn't be drastically different from what you would do at home...
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster - if the condo has a stocked kitchen then you can pretty much eat what you eat at home. Plan some meals in advance and take supplies of spices/herbs/baking powder etc with you in little zip bags so you can just buy fresh produce. I always take my own knife when we self cater as they never seem to have decent ones but if you're flying make sure you pack it carefully in your suitcase not in your hand luggage! If you want to do any baking then pre-measure the dry ingredients into a zip bag so it's ready to throw together with your eggs, milk or whatever. Also pack some tea/coffee and something easy that you can prepare when you get there if you don't get a chance to shop immediately. Exactly what you take and cook will depend on what your family likes to eat!

Keep it simple for yourself and have a great holiday.
  • VickiZei
    VickiZei Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love to have yogurt and frozen berries on hand, it's a great breakfast and a great cool snack.
    Nuts are good, fruits, mini carrots, chicken breast.... When we have a fridge on vacation I usually
    pack tea bags so I can make iced tea to have on hand. I'd say lean meats, salad and fruit make
    a great quick dinner for anytime any place