Wrist tendonitis - how can I still strength train?

Hi all,

I have what I think is probably tendonitis in my wrist, just waiting to see the doctor and confirm. It's been going on for about four weeks now, I've been trying to rest it and just do gentle exercise, no weights, but it isn't shifting (anti-inflammatories make little difference). I know I've still been doing things that probably haven't helped (yoga, cycling), so may have to stop all that :(

But it's frustrating not to be able to strength train, and I don't want to go backwards on all the arm/shoulder strength stuff I've been making progress on. Do I just have to suck it up and rest? Or does anyone have suggestions for exercises I could do that won't aggravate a wrist problem?

Thanks!

Replies

• FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    You could try a wrist support or wrist wraps.
  • katanita
    katanita Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks, I was wondering about that. Will look into it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2015
    FullOnBurn wrote: »
    You could try a wrist support or wrist wraps.

Yup. My right wrist is horrendous (with a side of carpal tunnel) but I am able to train normally with wrist wraps. I avoid some exercises that involve significant flexion of the wrist, such as front squats (with a traditional grip) and push-ups and dips. But everything else I can do.
  • Go to a sports dr for this. BTDT. My doc gave me permission to lift but certain exercises were out temporarily. I had been wearing splints, but he had me wear this to workout:

10301_2.jpg

You can get these bands as any drug store or Target ... etc.

and it was MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

Not these!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tendonitis+treatment&biw=1525&bih=709&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JvP1VNTmEIergwTCx4HwCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=tendonitis+wrist+brace

But really, see a dr. Do not take advice from strangers on the internet. You could do irreparable damage.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    katanita wrote: »
    suggestions for exercises I could do that won't aggravate a wrist problem?

I have a wrist problem and I hear you. I am staying away from anything involving the upper body because I can't carry a tote bag with too much in it. But I was thinking about using resistance bands creatively, I might try this. E.g. wrapping the band around the torso (under one arm and over the upper part of the bad arm, above the elbow), and doing arm raises in various directions.

For lower body stuff, I do
    - bodyweight squats, lunges, step ups, and 1-legged RDLs, very slowly
    - glute kickbacks and leg raises at the cable machine
    - leg curls
    - back extensions on the roman chair, focusing on glutes
    - leg press (I could only do this recently bc of a knee injury but it's not to bad)

I would not use the knee extension machine, it's bad for knees
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Go to a sports dr for this. BTDT. My doc gave me permission to lift but certain exercises were out temporarily. I had been wearing splints, but he had me wear this to workout:

10301_2.jpg

You can get these bands as any drug store or Target ... etc.

and it was MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

Not these!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tendonitis+treatment&biw=1525&bih=709&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JvP1VNTmEIergwTCx4HwCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=tendonitis+wrist+brace

But really, see a dr. Do not take advice from strangers on the internet. You could do irreparable damage.

What the heck? This really works? How?
  • I'm not sure I can describe it the way he did, but the ball puts pressure on the forearm and that allowed me to use my wrists. My tendonitis was in the forearms & wrists. Splints were fine during the day (and night, but I refuse to sleep in them). But lifting required that band and nothing else. It's important to note that this was dr's advice after examination and xray.
  • tomatoey
    That's amazing. Thanks for the info - it's something worth asking the physio about. Glad you've found enough relief to be able to continue to work out.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Tendinopathy is typically the type of injury that you have to rest completely for a while and then gradually return to activity with a well designed / phased plan. I would not recommend any upper body lifts til you speak with the doctor.
  • katanita
    katanita Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm seeing a GP today to confirm diagnosis. I fully expect her to just say rest it for a few weeks and take anti-inflammatories, or something basic, they aren't good at sports related stuff there. At which point I'll probably go to the physio at my gym (who is brilliant) for a more in depth look but it's really good to have all this stuff to go over with them and make suggestions. That imak band looks interesting, will definitely ask about that!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    You absolutely cannot lift weights or even do body weight exercises with tendonitis. You either rest it completely, possibly need also a splint to keep it immobile for a few weeks, and follow dr's orders or you are at the beginning of a very loooong journey. Wrist wraps are for after recovery is over.