30 day shred weights - how much?

Options
mkdm291
mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
Hi there!
So I wanted to begin doing 30 Day Shred one or two days a week built within 1/2 marathon training (on non-running days).
Should I be concerned about using 3 or 5 pound weights? Does it matter?
Forgive me if this is a simple question, but as you can tell I have not yet done the program. I am planning to tonight.

Replies

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would start with the 3's, since I have no idea what your fitness level is. If it's too easy, you can swap. The Shred (like many of Jillian's videos) is pretty endurance-heavy, and although I curl and shoulder press 15-20lbs/hand when I'm straight-up strength training, I find myself occasionally begging for mercy even with my 5 and 3lb dumbbells when I work out to her films! It's a different kind of challenge than just lifting heavy weights.
    Good luck! Come back and let me know what you think. :)
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That is very helpful. I consider myself very strong at cardio, but tend to lack strength in weights. That was my concern with this program. When I lift free weights myself (curls/shoulders, etc) I tend to use 10 lb. weights. I'm thinking I should start with the 3 pounds. I'll u[date tomorrow :smile:
  • 5000thAngel
    5000thAngel Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I rotate back and forth. Some exercises I use 3s (such as arterial raises) because I just don't have the strength. But for the bicep curls and fly presses I use 5lbs and am planning to up to 8lbs in a few days.
  • treezy83
    treezy83 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I rotate between 5 and 10ib weights. I love the 30 day shred workouts. This is my third round.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Start with the 3. You can move up in weight once you can do all the moves with correct form.
    I lift, heavy for me, and find in a I hr Zumba toning class a 2-3 lb weight is heavy enough, my arms are starting to droop at the 45 min mark.

Cheers, h.