In need of a good kick in the pants

Options
I've been using this site for 3 months. 90 solid days of logging the good and the bad. I've made huge changes to my lifestyle and feel better than I ever have, but I'm not seeing the results on the scale that I was hoping for. In 90 days I've only lost 15 lbs and one pants size. My week of feminine ickiness throws things off and I know I can't do anything about it. I don't want to do anything drastic and ruin what progress I've made, but I'm discouraged. My dad weighed in today and he has lost over 30lbs in 4 months and only weighs 8lbs more than me. I'm just losing hope :(

Replies

• firecat918
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Just keep eating healthy, and exercising. Don't forget that muscle weighs more then fat. If your gaining muscle mass, and losing fat your scale wont reflect much change even though your body is changing shape. Keep going and don't compare yourself to your dad. Guys tend to lose weight faster anyways. It's one of life's cruel jokes :)
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    15 pounds over approximately 12 weeks is nothing to be ashamed of. Slow and steady wins the race.

You might want to open your diary if you want more intelligent feedback than that. :)
  • aerynholly
    aerynholly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're already made a lot of great progress! Keep at it! The bad mood will pass.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    3 months = 12 weeks. 15 is more than 12; you've lost a lot of weight very quickly! Don't get confused by that "Biggest Loser" 10-pounds-in-one-week crap, it's neither realistic (unless you're starting at 500+ lbs) nor healthy (ever).

Also, never compare yourself to men. They have vast sloshy buckets full of testosterone, which makes them suck. I mean, lose weight much more quickly and naturally maintain lower BF%. On the plus side, you're much less likely to starve to death in case of zombie apocalypse, so yay, estrogen!
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Yup, I have to agree with the above posters. 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week as a very healthy rate of weight loss, and more importantly it's going to play a huge part in keeping it off. Most folks who lose a lot of weight fast (4lbs/wk or more) will more than likely gain some if not all of it back through the yo-yo factor.

You are on pace, and doing it the right way!!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'm a slow loser. Well, relatively slow...about like yours. And my body likes to plateau. But I am committed to staying with this healthier eating. Now that I've lost a significant amount of weight, I *am* glad that it has been so slow. There have been so many mental changes to go through, and the time it has taken is helping me adjust so that I can keep this off.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    You are expecting more of yourself, let that go.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, 15lb is a great loss for 3 months! And congratulations on dropping a size, make sure to get some new clothes and enjoy showing them off :wink:

For what is worth I'm down 20lb and haven't dropped a size yet (I don't even have awful lot to lose, I honestly thought I'd go down a size after 10lb) Also, don't compare yourself to your dad, he is a guy. My husband drives me mad when he decides to drop few pounds and it requires half of my effort to do it. Can't figure it out, is it the bigger muscle mass, or hormones, or whatever, but for him 10lb is nothing. He knows better now than to give me advice:laugh:

Keep going, you will get there! Send me a FR if you are looking for more friends:smile: