Craisins - Sugar

Options
mjbnj0001
mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
I know craisins have a sugar coating (both original and "reduced sugar"). does anyone know the source? cane/beet/etc., or high fructose corn syrup or other? just curious and not finding it specified anywhere, thanks!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but you can get no sugar added Craisins. I eat them all the time.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    thanks. you buy them bulk?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't seen the non-sugar added in bulk. I buy the Ocean Spray. I eat them a lot because I mix them in with my yogurt.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    OK, thanks for alerting me. I will have to look harder for them.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I googled images of the package and the ingredients on the image I found were "cranberries, sugar." So I'm not 100% sure, but I am guessing typical processed sugar. (Not raw, not something else like HFCS.)
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    thanks. that pretty much as far as i got. appreciate the effort.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've seen reduced sugar craisins, but none that are "no sugar added". The reduced sugar craisins still have added sugar, but they also have added fiber. Normal craisins have about 3 grams of fiber, 29 grams of sugar and are 130 calories for 1/4 cup. The reduced sugar have 10 grams fiber, 14 grams sugar, and 100 calories for the same amount. There is also sucralose in the reduced sugar craisins.

I've only seen reduced sugar craisins in two brands: ocean spray and Meijer store brand.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? If so, the added sugar would have to be listed as an ingredient.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Interesting, the type of sugar is not listed. Nothing on the Ocean Spray website either. They talk about their sugar-free juices.

dcs-2269b_2z.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Interesting, the type of sugar is not listed. Nothing on the Ocean Spray website either. They talk about their sugar-free juices.

dcs-2269b_2z.jpg

If it just says sugar, then it is either cane or beet or a combination of those (white/table sugar)