Fasted Cardio

Options
Hi!

Opinions on fasted cardio? Not done it before but I am having to change my gym routine around to fit in with work, meaning I will be working out at 7am instead of 7pm.

Should I snack before or is it ok to exercise having not eaten? (I will be doing 30 mins of cardio).

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I honestly don't think it matters. I used to do cardio on an empty stomach because I work out at 4:30 in the morning. Now I have a Quest bar almost immediately beforehand (I'm not getting up any earlier to wait 30-60 minutes, that's for sure) and I haven't noticed a difference.

Just go with how you feel. If you're not hungry, don't eat. If you find that you're getting tired during your workout and your energy level sucks, have a snack before going to the gym.

As far as weight loss, it doesn't make a difference. Calories in vs. calories out - timing is irrelevant.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts when I get up before eating. You'll probably have to try it out and see how you feel.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is fine. If you were doing long workouts you would probably need to think about fueling. Less than 60 minutes or so it's not necessary.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Opinions on fasted cardio? Not done it before but I am having to change my gym routine around to fit in with work, meaning I will be working out at 7am instead of 7pm.

Should I snack before or is it ok to exercise having not eaten? (I will be doing 30 mins of cardio).

It's fun. 30 minutes of cardio, even high intensity cardio is fine fasted. If a session was going over 120 minutes, I'd suggest something during the workout, but that's about it.

You'll be fine. I'm weak and lazy and out of shape, and I do 90% of my cardio sessions fasted, and those are 1 hour each. If I can do it, anyone who is reasonably in-shape and not a drama queen/king can do it as well.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat and sometimes not before cardio. Depends on how hungry I am. Makes no difference to me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It basically comes down to 2 things -

1) personal preference
    2) workout performance

if you want to eat, eat. If you don't, don't. I find that I lift better fasted, but bigger cardio sessions need calories. YMMV.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll try it without eating and if it doesn't work - I'll eat!