Options
2»

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You might want to try this option, too:
    http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-fried-mac-cheese/

I haven't bothered with the cauliflower crust, because it's a lot of steps for a single thing. For me, the easiest solution was just to make mini pizzas on portobello caps.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, you should probably be using fresh cauliflower for "crust", frozen tends to stick to the pan. I personally prefer using chicken or pork as a base if I want a lower carb "pizza".
    actually, if I remember correctly you just use real crust, because pizza...
    You could also just save the time and pick some up from your local pizzeria

• spangler1972
    spangler1972 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it can be a little time consuming. Compared to doing a yeast dough from scratch, it's not that much more time. Most of it is wringing all of the water out of the cauliflower.

The rest of it is complimenting the flavor of the cauliflower. It's not going to taste like yeast dough, so don't expect that. Enjoy it for what it is, and how it can taste good as part of your pizza.

I baked one up, and added it to my MFP blog, you can find it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/spangler1972/view/of-cauliflower-and-pizza-555857
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you don't think it's going to be anything like an actual pizza crust, you might be OK. Personally, I find it too soft. Taste is basically cauliflower + herbs + Parmesan. I thought it did better on its own as a side than as a base for pizza toppings. And even at that, I'd rather have roasted cauliflower, garlic and onions.

Have to say there are tons of better pizza crust substitutions out there, all easier to use. Pitas, tortillas, English muffins ...
  • skydogz
    skydogz Posts: 1
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I like it and make it often. I usually add a lot of garlic to mine.
    sdwdickson wrote: »
    I have a bunch of cauliflower in my freezer and my family doesn't like it. Have been seeing cauliflower pizza crust lately and I was wondering if anyone has tried it and liked it and your favorite recipe? Thanks.

I'm Rena, I went from being a Type 2 to a Type 1 because of a bad diagnosis. I got some recipes for cauliflower pizza crust off of Pinterest and they were great. I also make cauliflower "rice" which I got from Pinterest also. Very good!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I haven't bothered with the cauliflower crust, because it's a lot of steps for a single thing. For me, the easiest solution was just to make mini pizzas on portobello caps.

Oooooooooo....yummo!!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Oooooooooo....yummo!!

If you're going to try it - brush some olive oil on them and throw them in the oven for 5-10 minutes before you add the pizza topping and put them back in, keeps them from getting too soggy.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i'll die before i do a cauliflower pizza crust

^^ yaaa, that's what my husband said too, until that's all I made for dinner one night. And he was very impressed. To the point that he actually asked for it again.

I used one from Pinterest... but of course now the link is deactivated.

I would do everything the above posters have mentioned (add a ton of herbs and spices, salt and pepppr), plus cook it for much, much longer than the recipe calls for. Personally I like some crunch.

Good luck!

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Hahaha, that's how I am with spaghetti squash, which I absolutely loathe. I'm Italian. My sauce is too good to put over that stringy, bodyless imitation!

But THIS? I'm intrigued, and not because I want an imitation of a real crackery thin pizza crust (and boy, I make a great one). I love cauliflower...and cheese...and tomatoes and spices and roasted peppers and mushrooms....I think this is worth trying, as long as I don't sit there and compare it to a real pizza. I still have real pizza, just not as much as i used to. I think this sounds pretty good!
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was actually pleasantly surprised when I tried a cauliflower crust pizza from a recipe found online. The second time I made it, it came out better than the first since I let it cook a little longer in the oven (it was a little too soft the first time). Also, it can be a little time-consuming, but when it said to let it cool, I got a little impatient and used a hair dryer in the cool setting to help speed things along lol.
    I don't particularly like a lot of "substitute" foods, and neither does my husband, but we both really enjoy this. I can eat the whole thing by myself...and happily log it :)
  • healthymama1776
    Options
    I LOVE cauliflower pizza crust!!! It is more work, which is why I usually make about 4 at a time, and once cooled, wrap and freeze. :) Easy to take it out and make from frozen crust. Tips that make a difference:
    1. You MUST wring out all the water you can - this is the hardest part. After you "rice" the cauliflower (use a food processor or grate it) and steam it in the microwave or on the stove, you lay out a fresh towel and wring, wring, wring - wait till it's cooled off so you don't burn yourself! This makes a blob of pulp. You mix this in with 1/3 C mozzarella, dries basil, and a dash of garlic powder, and1 egg, then form it on the parchment paper.
    2. Add 1 Tablespoon Almond flour to the dough before you form it - it helps make the crust a little more crispy.
    3. Don't make big crusts - about 9" diameter is the biggest, although I like to make them smaller; about 1/2" thick....i like thin crust, but if you make it too thin, it can tear. you shape it on the parchment paper - never use a non-stick spray.
    4. Bake the heck out of it. I cook it longer than the recipe says.
    5. let it cool on a wire rack for a couple minutes, then take it off there and let it cool without the parchment paper - you need to get all that steam out of there or it gets soggy.

My family actually prefers this crust to the grain kind, b/c it doesn't leave you bloated.
  • healthymama1776
    Options
    I have to say, too - honestly, it does not taste like cauliflower. :) I thought it would be disgusting the first time i heard of it, but I've made it about 10 times or more. Like I said, make extra after you try it once, because then you only have the work and mess once.
  • miss_sarah2020
    miss_sarah2020 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have tried it many times, but you must must must wring out the cauliflower or else it will be too soggy to pick up
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Oooooooooo....yummo!!

If you're going to try it - brush some olive oil on them and throw them in the oven for 5-10 minutes before you add the pizza topping and put them back in, keeps them from getting too soggy.
    Thanks!!!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I tried the crust and thought it was fine. First I juiced the cauliflower to create the pulp for the crust as the key to cauliflower crust is making sure the pulp is as dry as possible. It didn't seem like that much work. I've read that some people will make several in a day and store them in the freezer. I haven't done that yet.

I agree with using parchment paper and flipping the crust.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    mariabee wrote: »

^^ yaaa, that's what my husband said too, until that's all I made for dinner one night. And he was very impressed. To the point that he actually asked for it again.

I used one from Pinterest... but of course now the link is deactivated.

I would do everything the above posters have mentioned (add a ton of herbs and spices, salt and pepppr), plus cook it for much, much longer than the recipe calls for. Personally I like some crunch.

Good luck!

The same happened with my husband.