Etiquette / Safety for 5K

Options
I'm training for my first 5K using a training program through the LiveHealthyAmerica.com site as adopted in my state, and used through a group sponsored by my employer. I had been doing quite well with the training, but was especially busy last week with work (worked 12 hrs. Thurs., 17 hrs. Fri... etc.) and with finals for the class I was taking (I'm also a FT grad school student). Anyway, I know those are "excuses," but I just didn't get a workout in for several days.

Last night, I went to the gym (I've mostly been training on a treadmill to better manage speed and because it is colder outside) and hopped on the treadmill. I've skipped a couple of workouts and tried to pick up with where I was supposed to be by yesterday - walk 1 mile, run 15 min., walk 5 min., run 15 min., walk 5 min. I started a new class and it is very busy, so I started on the treadmill while watching/listening to a lecture on my smartphone. During the first running phase, I only got about 10 min. So I walked for 10 min. instead of just 5. By the time I barely started the 2nd running interval, the lecture finished and I switched over to music. It became so much more enjoyable and easier to run with the music... a huge difference. I not only finished the 15 min., but I was able to actually increase the pace partway through that 15 min.

The conclusion: Music makes running more enjoyable and not seem as difficult.

Question: During a 5K, what is the etiquette for listening to music? Should I not use headphones for safety reasons?

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    how about a compromise-run with 1 head phone in and one ear available for listening? That said many races ask for no headphones. Check the small print on entry forms.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It depends a lot on the race. Some races will prohibit headphones or request that you do not wear them, but most of the local races that I have run don't really care. I would definitely suggest that if you do run with headphones, you keep the volume low enough that you are still aware of your surroundings and able to hear directions from volunteers.

Good luck with your training!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You will see plenty of people wearing headphones. It is not against the rules in running races (generally).

It *is* against the rules in triathlon however - specifically for safety reasons.

Personally, I don't like wearing headphones while running outside. Again, for safety reasons. In a race there is even more potential for something to happen that you may not be aware of because you can't hear.

Also if a faster runner is coming up from behind and trying to pass you may not hear them and accidentally move into their line.

That said - it is not against the rules and many people do it. I would certainly encourage you to, at least on outdoor runs, learn to run without music. I personally find the act of running outside enjoyable and wouldn't want to distract myself with music. (Inside on a treadmill you just gotta do what you gotta do to stave off boredom though).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It will depend on the event. I look for events in my area at active.com, and some say no headphones, no stroller, etc. I did notice that most of the Atlanta Track Club events (including Peachtree Road Race) say no headphones - and these events tend to be high # of entries. So that may be a factor, how its expected to be a big crowd or more moderate # in attendance. The event info page should also indicate if there is a time limit - though that is more likely for longer distance events. (I completed a 1/2 marathon that had a 3 hour time limit, and am planning to do a 1/2 in August that has a 3.5 hour time limit.) Time limits have more to do with working with local law enforcement to close off roads to traffic and such.

One note: for the first 2-3 miles of the 1/2 marathon, I didn't turn on my music. It was entertaining, just taking in the sites around me. Watching other runners and such, paying attention to my breathing, etc. Ultimately as the pack spread out a bit - I turned on the music but could always hear what was happening around me.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Some races won't let runners wear headphones. If they catch you with them they won't give you your time (if it's chip timed) and can ask you to leave. Check with the race organizers to find out about rules.

If there aren't rules against them, do what acheben says: keep the volume low enough so you can hear people/cars approaching.
  • glevinso
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I should add... if you are racing a 5k and you can hear music (or much of anything), you are doing it wrong. ;)
  • glevinso
    Options
    Then again - I am an odd duck and prefer to listen to the sound of my own suffering.

Honestly though, I find music will distract me from my performance. Throughout a race I am constantly checking my pace, working on breathing, managing pain, etc. I don't need one more distraction - or at best I wouldn't be able to even tell you there was music playing, I am too busy managing performance.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This tends to be a hot button issue.

Check with the race. Some have rules against music, some don't. Some people ignore the rules.
    Not all races are the same either. With an open course there is much more of a safety issue.
    The race I volunteer for was only granted the permit to hold the race if we did not allow headphones. People were very upset and it put us in a difficult position for enforcement. We don't want to disqualify people but we also dont want to risk next year's race.

If you do decide to wear them, keep the volume low. Pay attention to the other runners around you as well as the course marshals. We have also had people go off course at a turn and the course marshal could not get their attention. There is nothing more obnoxious than someone who is oblivious to everyone around and unable to hear you.

I understand music helps but it's also good to get used to running without it in case you want to do races that don't allow it. I do triathlon so music isn't an option. Another favourite race of mine does not allow it. I've stopped using music for training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I suspect you'll find being outside is a different experience- and you're less likely to need/want your headphones.

I honestly don't use them for outside- I dislike them- for safety reasons- and to help monitor my breathing.

I'd also be inclined to say if you can't keep yourself focused without music for the 20-40 min (whatever your pace is) for the 5 K- push harder.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've run a few 5ks, only one of them allowed head phones. That one was a mess. I had people running into me often, it got to the point about halfway through, that if someone got in my line, I'd push them out of the way.

I'm not about to get injured because some jackwagon is loving their lady gaga.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It should be in the club running the event docs. If not contact them and ask if it's okay.erm running on a treadmill is very different to running outside.
  • iankirsch
    Options
    I don't want you to get a shock
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As long as the rules allow for headphones go ahead. I would wait until .5-1 mile in when things are more spread out though. It can be a bit congested in the beginning, and you want to be aware of people around you.

My last 5k was crazy busy and never got to a point where it was spread out, I was always I'm a big group. I wouldn't have wanted headphones for that one personally. I like to be able to hear someone coming up behind me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the issue of being able to hear directions and such makes sense for a lot of runners, but my hearing is not real good anyway... particularly in terms of direction. If I'm not facing the direction the sound is coming from or if there is a barrier, I can't usually hear someone or something anyway. I speculate it is because my eardrums are not shaped properly, but the "why" doesn't really matter.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Anecdote: A woman was running in my area on a nice wide trail. Headphones on, generally oblivious to the world around her. A tree branch above the trail broke and fell on her head, killing her. Witnesses said there were actually cracking sounds that could be heard a few seconds ahead of the branch falling.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have never run any race where you couldn't wear headphones. Music definitely helps to keep a good pace. Good Luck
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Yes, I think running outside will be more interesting and that may make a big difference too.

And I will check the documents to see.
  • iankirsch
    Options
    Cool.its also very different due to the weather wind texture and undulations.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Checked documents I've received so far... no mention about headphones either way. It does say they plan to have music "before, during, and after" but it doesn't say much else about type of music or whether one could hear it while running or just back at a gathering spot.

I'll definitely send a message to the race organizers. Otherwise, I'm supposed to pick up a packet the day before that includes my chip timer, T-shirt, and whatever else.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    All the races I've done allow headphones. Just keep the volume low enough you can still hear people around you. I have no problem hearing my music and hearing others. I run with a friend, we both can hear our music and have a conversation.