Eating less than 1200 calories a day?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have a lot of weight to loose, over 50lbs. I am 5'3 and 197lbs.

I am wondering if it is ok to eat less than 1200 calories a day if I am getting proper nutrition?

Thank you!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    That's the thing. It very hard to get proper nutrition going below 1200 calories.

Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Im not entirely sure that you can eat 1200 cals a day and get proper nutrition.. From what I understand, the 1200 for women is the absolute bare minimum we can eat and get proper nutrition, for men its 1500. And at that rate, that amount is for a very aggressive deficit.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you under the care of a doctor who will be monitoring your blood work to be sure you're getting proper nutrition?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I just threw your stats into the calorie calculator on Scooby's Workshop (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and you can easily lose weight on about 1630 calories a day (I put sedentary as your activity level, so if you exercise, you can eat even more).

Why on earth would you want to eat less than 1200 calories? You didn't gain your weight overnight - there's no need to rush to lose it by starving yourself.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

^^ This.

You don't need to drop it all at once. And you need at least a certain amount of calories to...function properly. I'm also 5'3, and while we're on the "short" end, there is no need for us to drop below that 1200 mark...ever. :smile: Just lose weight naturally.

This is an amazing website with a ton of information to get you on the right path: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Unless you are being monitored by a registered dietician (ask for a referral from your doctor if they are prescribing the calorie limitations) / having regular blood work from a doctor, it is very unlikely that you would acquire proper nutrition even on a 1200 calorie diet.

With over 50lbs to lose, you can aim for a loss of 2lbs a week. Follow MFPs recommendation or enter your stats into a TDEE calculator, like this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/
  • kcrawford119
    kcrawford119 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi All,

I am not under the care of a doctor. However I am having a hard time reaching 1200 calories a day since I have begun eating healthy. I am usually clocking in at 950-1000 calories. This includes lots of protein, fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C. I seem to lack most in Iron & Calcium.

I am trying to get down to 170 by June 4th as I have a vacation planned. Is this doable?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am not under the care of a doctor. However I am having a hard time reaching 1200 calories a day since I have begun eating healthy. I am usually clocking in at 950-1000 calories. This includes lots of protein, fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C. I seem to lack most in Iron & Calcium.

I am trying to get down to 170 by June 4th as I have a vacation planned. Is this doable?

I'm not sure what you mean by "healthy," but there are calorie-dense foods that fit almost any category of "healthy" you want to use. Why not add some of those to your daily plan? Iron and calcium aren't insignificant things -- you need them.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I would say that is a very, very aggressive goal. I am 5'4" and started at 216. It took me a lot more than two months to get into the 170s.

Please up your calorie intake. Calorie-dense foods help. Yogurt, cheese, nuts, nut butters... all those things help. And it will help with your calcium, which you also really need. You don't have to eat even 1200, never mind below that. Please listen to the advice above. It's good advice.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Use those extra 200 calories to boost your calcium & iron intake! More milk, meat, spinach, dark chocolate, ice cream, cheese, beans, fortified cereals, Greek yogurt, etc. 200 calories is so easy to add into your diet and you can make it work for you.

• kcrawford119
    kcrawford119 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your awesome advice!!
  • mggary
    mggary Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I struggle with this question too. I am also short (4'11") & find that the closer I can stay to 1200 the better, even with high intensity workouts. That being said, I have to agree with the the others saying that 1200 is also the minimum to lose weight the healthy way, but I believe if you're within 100 calories under or over it's okay too. You have to be very careful doing this because it 100% depends on your dietary needs and all of us are very different. Absolutely get your blood work checked! I have to go every 6 months and it's very beneficial to have that level of personalized information.

Goal: 8# to go! Its hard but staying motivated!
  • JennM874
    JennM874 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been going to a medical bariatric center since December. I started at 5'4, 198lbs. Since December I have followed a high protein low sugar diet ranging from 800-1200 calories a day. Before I started the doctors did labs/EKG. I take daily multivitamins, fish oil, basa. I currently weigh 163. I see the doctor at least every two weeks. What I am doing isn't for everyone but it is really working for me. No exercises but I do have a 4 year old, two 11 month olds and work full time, so I move a lot. Good luck!