Will squatting 20 - 30 kg weights ever build muscle?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm trying to build muscle all over but mainly in my butt and thighs to create an hourglass figure (or as best I can with what I have) only I've been told by my doctor not to lift too heavy so I don't injure my heart, the example they gave was 70kg was too much, but I don't know what an appropriate weight is since they said lift 'girly' and tone.
I currently can't lift 20 kg as my arms are just too weak, I don't tend to feel it so much in my legs though, I found my arms hurt too much before my legs felt anything so I've got a 7kg barbell to balance out the weight a bit and take the strain off my arms.
But will lifting 20 or 30 kg really make a difference?
If it helps I'm 21,5'4", 151 lbs, female, I never lifted much before so I'm building up, I have a heart condition and I'm vegetarian so I've started to have protein shakes in an attempt to build muscle.

Replies

• CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey! It's actually really hard/impossible to do squats with heavier weights without using a cage. Without a cage, you need to use your arms to lift the barbell up and over your shoulders, and as you are finding, you don't have the strength for this. If you have access to a cage, you can place the bar on your shoulders and push up using your glutes and legs.This way you can gradually add more and more weights as you get stronger.

If you don't have access to a gym and a cage, you can still do squats with dumbbells or do deadlifts instead with a bar.

I can't comment on what weights are suitable for you with your heart condition though.

Lifting with weights will make a difference to your butt and thighs, BUT you also need to make sure your nutrition is right. To build muscle you need to eat a diet that's higher in protein. I'm also a veggy and I get protein from eggs, quinoa, non fat cottage cheese, milk, cheese, tofu, and protein shakes/bars. The basic guideline for women to build muscle is for us to consume 1g of protein for every pound of bodyweight.

I hate the word "tone" - what this actually means is build muscle.
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sure it will. You'd build muscle even just doing squats with your own bodyweight, and eating enough protein. No one generally just hops out there and starts squatting 160 pounds. Especially not us ladies. I'm no weakling, and I can only squat 90 at the moment... half of what I can deadlift. D:
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Squatting will definitely strengthen your muscles but to actually build muscles you need to be in a calorie surplus.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    Squatting will definitely strengthen your muscles but to actually build muscles you need to be in a calorie surplus.

This + adequate volume...
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »
    I'm trying to build muscle all over but mainly in my butt and thighs to create an hourglass figure (or as best I can with what I have) only I've been told by my doctor not to lift too heavy so I don't injure my heart, the example they gave was 70kg was too much, but I don't know what an appropriate weight is since they said lift 'girly' and tone.
    I currently can't lift 20 kg as my arms are just too weak, I don't tend to feel it so much in my legs though, I found my arms hurt too much before my legs felt anything so I've got a 7kg barbell to balance out the weight a bit and take the strain off my arms.
    If it helps I'm 21,5'4", 151 lbs, female, I never lifted much before so I'm building up, I have a heart condition and I'm vegetarian so I've started to have protein shakes in an attempt to build muscle.

Do you have a specific medical condition? As in a heart defect?

If not, then you start with a weight that you can do reps with good form and then week-by-week you increase the weight and maintain good form.

You would be best advised to check out a solid beginner's program, check out good form videos. Video yourself lifting and constantly re-check and adjust your form based on what you (and knowledgeable others) see.

• Jennym93
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

If not, then you start with a weight that you can do reps with good form and then week-by-week you increase the weight and maintain good form.

You would be best advised to check out a solid beginner's program, check out good form videos. Video yourself lifting and constantly re-check and adjust your form based on what you (and knowledgeable others) see.
    I have aortic valve regurgitation
  • jimmmer
    Options

Then you're going to have to proceed under the instruction of your healthcare professionals, I'm afraid.

70kg seems a bit arbitrary though, how did they come to that figure, I wonder?
  • Jennym93
    edited March 2015
    Options

Then you're going to have to proceed under the instruction of your healthcare professionals, I'm afraid.

I've no idea, they just said to tone and not build, but I don't know any other way of shaping my body
    I'd ask their opinion of what I could lift but I don't go again for another 6 months and I have no other way of contacting them, it also seems a bit of a waste of the doctors time
  • jimmmer
    Options

I've no idea, they just said to tone and not build, but I don't know any other way of shaping my body

It sounds like they really don't understand weight training.

You need to have adequate volume, be able to increase that volume somehow (by increasing load, sets or reps) and be in a calorie surplus.

You can initially build muscle by tweaking these variables with the tools you have, but you will eventually outpace them.

It is also possible to stimulate hypertrophy using bodyweight training, but eventually you will need challenging exercise variations that will place the same kind of stresses on your system as heavier weights.

It's a pickle and no mistake.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I'd ask their opinion of what I could lift but I don't go again for another 6 months and I have no other way of contacting them, it also seems a bit of a waste of the doctors time

Did the dr tell you that weight training was a good idea in general? Or just that exercises for toning your body are ok? because there are obviously training programs to get in shape that do not include lifting weights at all.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I would ask them for the maximum amount they recommend you lifting so you can stay under that unless they are saying the max is 65lbs. 70lbs is a decent amount I would think anything would help some.

then I would start small and work your way up. If you're out of shape maybe start with body weight squats even.

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Tone is a misconception.

You are wanting to look into weight lighting volume and intensity.

If you can only lift 70kg. Maybe look into the wonderful word of body-weight fitness. You can get into some pretty intense workouts.
  • Jennym93
    edited March 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Did the dr tell you that weight training was a good idea in general? Or just that exercises for toning your body are ok? because there are obviously training programs to get in shape that do not include lifting weights at all.
    No, I was at a routine appointment and just asked if I could continue and the response was I shouldn't try to build and I shouldn't try anything competitive, I shouldn't lift anything like 70kgs and that I should aim to tone and lift 'girly' weights, didn't give me an idea of what weight that was though.

I just want a workout that will build up my lower body, upper body I'd prefer to just lose some weight (I gain in the upper body and my lower body is more muscle or at least I think it is)
  • jimmmer
    Options

No, I was at a routine appointment and just asked if I could continue and the response was I shouldn't try to build and I shouldn't try anything competitive, I shouldn't lift anything like 70kgs and that I should aim to tone and lift 'girly' weights, didn't give me an idea of what weight that was though.

I just want a workout that will build up my lower body, upper body I'd prefer to just lose some weight (I gain in the upper body and my lower body is more muscle or at least I think it is)

you seem confused.

You can't lose weight on the top half and build muscle on the bottom half.

You either lose fat/retain lbm (this is what people mean by tone, btw) which requires progressive overload and a calorie deficit normally.

Or you do the overload thing and eat at a calorie surplus and build muscle (and put on a bit of fat too).

The third option (if you are patient and strict) is to eat at, or about, maintenance and slowly recomp. It's easy to eff up and results are slow, but you won't add any fat with this approach....

• Jennym93
    Options

you seem confused.

You can't lose weight on the top half and build muscle on the bottom half.

You either lose fat/retain lbm (this is what people mean by tone, btw) which requires progressive overload and a calorie deficit normally.

Or you do the overload thing and eat at a calorie surplus and build muscle (and put on a bit of fat too).

The third option (if you are patient and strict) is to eat at, or about, maintenance and slowly recomp. It's easy to eff up and results are slow, but you won't add any fat with this approach....

I am confused I'm new to it.
    Maybe the first option is what I'm aiming for...
    I know way too little, what is progressive overload?
  • LKArgh
    Options

Then I would suggest you book a second appointment, or get a second opinion and ask very specific details before you continue with lifting. The dr might have meant you can lift up to your body weight, he might have meant you can just do lots of reps with very low weights like a few kilos, who knows? No one here knows your medical history, and it does not sound like something you can take risks with by experimenting on your own.
  • Jennym93
    edited March 2015
    Options

Then I would suggest you book a second appointment, or get a second opinion and ask very specific details before you continue with lifting. The dr might have meant you can lift up to your body weight, he might have meant you can just do lots of reps with very low weights like a few kilos, who knows? No one here knows your medical history, and it does not sound like something you can take risks with by experimenting on your own.
    High reps low weight was their advice (Sorry I didn't remember that before)
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would definitely be working hand-in-hand with a doctor or sports physician if you have a heart condition OP.

If the doc says its ok: I would stick with some bodyweight squats and exercises to save some money if your strength is very low right now. You will find the legs (especially the glutes and quads) respond VERY fast to weight training. If you want to continue to improve, eventually you will need a rack and a oly bar with plates. You will outgrow the benefits of bodyweight (besides maintaining a certain strength level) after a few months.

When you say "tone" you are most likely referring to a media portrayed regiment of low-weight, high-rep exercises, which I will tell you is complete b.s. To achieve that look, it is mostly through low bodyfat %. Training muscles with heavy weight and lower reps (8-10 reps, 3 sets) will add some shape as well.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    A brief google search for the medical issue you mentioned and exercise, returns several links from reputable sources claiming in brief to focus on low impact cardio, such as walking and do no other exercise unless consulting with your dr. Again a google search including weight lifting in your case, turns a lot of highly discouraging links. Since you appear to have no clear answers, and even dr google is not very reassuring, please talk to your dr and do not rely on strangers.
  • Jennym93
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm planning on asking my doctor when I go next, until them I'm sticking with 11kg max and some 2.5lb ankle weights.
    Since heavy weight is kind of a no go until I see the doctor, is there anything I can do to help shape my body (is it even possible to change your body shape through exercise?) I'm aiming for enhancing curves over gaining big muscles so can you do that with low weight/body weight and cardio?
    (sorry I'm so new to this and have too many questions)