whey protein

what is for??.
how do you use it .. (in food, with milk as a shake .. etc)??.
if you use it as a shake is it like a liquid protein subsitute??.

ifollow a lot of fitness pages on instagram and a lot of them use it but im just asking basic questions .. and how often do you use it

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    It's an easy way to get extra protein if you need it. That's really it.
  • catwoman1313
    catwoman1313 Posts: 3 Member
    Whey is a quickly-absorbed protein, which is why it is so highly recommended after workouts. The taste is fairly neutral, compared to other proteins such as soy and casein, and whey mixes very well with water. I drink it plain sometimes, and a good whey protein really tastes a lot like milk, since it is a by-product of cheese manufacturing. But there are a lot of flavored whey products out there that are a good source of protein after a workout. It may not be filling as an entire meal. Whey protein concentrate is around 70-80% protein with about 6% fat, and whey protein isolate is around 80-90% protein with around 2% fat.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Whey protein is a supplement to help reach your protein and macro goals if you cannot reach your protein goal through food.
    Protein is an important component of every cell in the body. Hair and nails are mostly made of protein. Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues. You also use protein to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.

http://www.webmd.com/men/features/benefits-protein

I personally use a protein powder and just mix it with water
  • Whey is a quickly-absorbed protein, which is why it is so highly recommended after workouts. The taste is fairly neutral, compared to other proteins such as soy and casein, and whey mixes very well with water. I drink it plain sometimes, and a good whey protein really tastes a lot like milk, since it is a by-product of cheese manufacturing. But there are a lot of flavored whey products out there that are a good source of protein after a workout. It may not be filling as an entire meal. Whey protein concentrate is around 70-80% protein with about 6% fat, and whey protein isolate is around 80-90% protein with around 2% fat.

ok .. so whats the difference between isolate and concentrate .. which one is better?? whats a cheap brand lol .. if im taking it after a workout, how long after should ieat??.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    shakes and yogurt when im low on protein, which is quite rare I have more trouble hitting carb goals daily.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Whey is a quickly-absorbed protein, which is why it is so highly recommended after workouts. The taste is fairly neutral, compared to other proteins such as soy and casein, and whey mixes very well with water. I drink it plain sometimes, and a good whey protein really tastes a lot like milk, since it is a by-product of cheese manufacturing. But there are a lot of flavored whey products out there that are a good source of protein after a workout. It may not be filling as an entire meal. Whey protein concentrate is around 70-80% protein with about 6% fat, and whey protein isolate is around 80-90% protein with around 2% fat.

ok .. so whats the difference between isolate and concentrate .. which one is better?? whats a cheap brand lol .. if im taking it after a workout, how long after should ieat??.
    Protein concentrates. Protein concentrates are created by pushing the protein source (milk, whey, etc.) through a very small filter that allows water, minerals, and other organic materials to pass though. The proteins, which are too big to pass through the filter, are collected, resulting in protein powder. When this process is used to make whey protein concentrate, it yields a protein powder that is 70-85% protein and up to 5% lactose. People with lactose intolerance will have trouble consuming large amounts of whey protein concentrate.

Protein isolates. This is the next step up in purification; the protein is purified again using more filtration or a technique called ion-exchange or cross-flow microfiltration. Protein isolates have very low levels of carbohydrates and fat and are almost exclusively pure protein. People with lactose intolerance usually don’t have trouble with whey protein isolates. Many companies that make whey protein isolates certify that their product is lactose free or they will even add lactase which is an enzyme that breaks down lactose to the protein powder to help with digestion.

From: http://www.2buildmusclefast.com/2011/04/whey-protein-isolate-vs-whey-protein.html
  • catwoman1313
    catwoman1313 Posts: 3 Member
    The amino acid profile of isolates and concentrates are the same. The real difference will be taste and macronutrients - fat, protein and sugar. The concentrate will be slightly higher in fat and sugar and lower in protein, but is much cheaper. I prefer the taste of whey protein concentrate - it's more "dairy" with buttery notes, whereas the isolate has been through an additional microfiltration step so the taste is more "clean". This is ideal if you want to mix it with something else and you don't want to taste the whey. Unfortunately I can't really recommend any brands because I work in the industry and get all of mine for free :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Whey is a quickly-absorbed protein, which is why it is so highly recommended after workouts.

Highly recommended by people selling Whey protein lol. There is no time you should or shouldn't consume whey protein. Protein timing is for the most part unimportant. If you have trouble hitting a protein goal, then whey protein is an easy way to help reach it, otherwise you do need it. Hitting a proper protein goal is much much much more important than any sort of protein timing which is close to negligible. Also, the 30 to 45 minute post workout anabolic window is a myth, don't buy in to the BS
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Also... Drink your shake and eat some carbs within 30 mins of your workout to give your body back some energy and help it to repair. I buy Optimum Nutrition 100% whey gold standard protein. Strawberry flavour is amazinggggg!

Please stop with the misinformation